No announcement yet.

Pronghorn hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love goat hunting. Best way to get started with western hunting.

Comment

Ok, narrowed it down, .270 or .308?

Also, terrain question? I’m used to hunting in boots or snake boots in south texas. So hiking boots/shoes good up in Logan, NM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyCards2006 View Post

Also, terrain question? I’m used to hunting in boots or snake boots in south texas. So hiking boots/shoes good up in Logan, NM?

We hunted in Socorro County last year, I took mine with a 6.5CM at 342 yards.

Either will be great choice, whatever you are comfortable with. They aren't tough animals, but we had trouble getting shots under 300 yards. I wore my Danner hunting boots I wear all the time. Snake type boots didn't seem necessary. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by rferg84 View Post
          We hunted in Socorro County last year, I took mine with a 6.5CM at 342 yards.

Either will be great choice, whatever you are comfortable with. They aren't tough animals, but we had trouble getting shots under 300 yards. I wore my Danner hunting boots I wear all the time. Snake type boots didn't seem necessary. Good luck!

Thanks, good info.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyCards2006 View Post

I would hang on to your snake boots! I hunted mule deer in that country for several years and we killed rattlesnakes on every trip down there.

Comment

stick with the .270. Is going to be much flatter shooting than anything else you got there, except maybe the 25-06. And the .270 will buck the wind too.
              Sounds like you're comfortable with it anyway.

Comment

I shot mine with a 6mm Remington. Guide said it was his favorite pronghorn round so 243 or 270 will be fine.

Comment

I e always taken the .300 win mag. I’ve killed them at 90 yds and out to 400+. My buddy shooting my brothers 300 at 450 yds hit his buck six times before it dropped. All good shots too. Dang thing wouldn’t fall over and wouldn’t leave his does. One of the craziest things I’ve seen hunting.

Comment

Take whatever you can shoot the longest with accurately. I killed mine with a 22-250 but that was as a kid in about 1989 I think

Comment

I hunted in running shoes. The terrain is generally flat to rolling. Did not see a snake the whole trip.

Comment

Work on your shooting in the 200-300 yard ranges prior to your hunt. It will be hot. Get comfortable with some higher power Binos . Try to brush up on field judging as you will probably have a whole lot of goats to select from. Probably not a bad idea to work on stalking crawls so you will be comfortable with the possibility of having to make a few long crawls.
                        Don’t be afraid of rattlers, they are a part of the landscape.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                          Work on your shooting in the 200-300 yard ranges prior to your hunt. It will be hot. Get comfortable with some higher power Binos . Try to brush up on field judging as you will probably have a whole lot of goats to select from. Probably not a bad idea to work on stalking crawls so you will be comfortable with the possibility of having to make a few long crawls.
                          Don’t be afraid of rattlers, they are a part of the landscape.
                          Good advice here. I crawled about a third of a mile to get my shot.

Comment

243 is a very good Antelope caliber. They are a thin skinned animal.
                            I load the Barnes 80 gr TTSX for mine but you can buy the Barnes Vor-tex factory ammo with the same bullet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

.25-06 vote here. I've taken a few with mine and it has performed well.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I think I’m going with my old trusty .270, I know where it shoots out to 300. And snake boots it is. Short hunt, plenty of water and whiskey after the kill. Looking forward to it.

On a side note, I’m having trouble getting my license, I have to call them. Hopefully I get it all worked out.

Comment

Working...
                                X