Does anyone here have bees? Just bought my first Nuc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone here have bees? Just bought my first Nuc

After quite a bit of research, I purchased my first nuc the other day. So far i'm having a blast learning about bees and beekeeping. If anyone needs some bees in the Houston area, the guy I bought mine from was extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I would be happy to send his info over. If anyone here has bees and is willing to throw in some info, I'm all ears!

Steve the bee guy giving me a quick lesson on bees.

Nuc box ready to take to the field.

Set up the temporary nuc box. Gonna be putting them in their real box Monday.

Work partner.

My first thought was “where is your gear!?!”

I don’t work my bees a lot so when I inspect they get frisky.

Comment

Spend some time on YouTube. There are some good guys on there. I like the Fat Beeman.
      There is no end to what there is to learn.

Comment

YouTube is your friend. I'm working on my second season of having an apiary and it's been a lot of fun. The wife and kids also enjoy learning about them. Everyone I have ever met in the bee world has been more than happy to help and provide info and knowledge. I'm no expert, but if you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.

One thing my buddy and I have gotten into is swarm trapping to build our apiaries. Last year we caught over 30 swarms. We haven't been as aggressive with it this year, but we are still up to around 10 or so. Nothing like getting free bees!

Comment

I also have gone the swarm trapping route, I've spent money on nucs previously and it's very depressing to buy them only make a mistake and have them die or just decide they don't like your box and vacate for parts unknown. Free bees are much easier to learn with!

Comment

I have 9 hives on my 10 acre property in Kaufman Co. I found a beekeeper a couple of months ago and just did it for the ag exemption. I will say...bees are pretty cool and beekeeping is a fascinating hobby. If nothing else it’s neat to watch nature work.

My beekeeper was out a couple of weeks ago and I was able to get the first sample of the land’s product. [emoji108]

It didn’t suck![emoji14]

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
              My first thought was “where is your gear!?!”

I don’t work my bees a lot so when I inspect they get frisky.
              They are fairly calm. Obviously there is a chance to get stung, but they arent that bad. Id rather take a couple stings than work in a hot suit.

Originally posted by TXHunter12 View Post
              Spend some time on YouTube. There are some good guys on there. I like the Fat Beeman.
              There is no end to what there is to learn.
              Steve was a student of Don's and he uses his bees genetics. I wanted to give his bees a try so I bought one of his nuc's. We will see how they do, really hoping I can establish a few hives with these bees.

Comment

I believe you can get ag exemption for having honey bees on your property

Comment

Originally posted by Efren View Post
                  I believe you can get ag exemption for having honey bees on your property
                  Post #6

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
                    I also have gone the swarm trapping route, I've spent money on nucs previously and it's very depressing to buy them only make a mistake and have them die or just decide they don't like your box and vacate for parts unknown. Free bees are much easier to learn with!
                    I have one I am going to try and catch this upcoming week if you have any tips. Been watching alot of youtube videos on how to catch them. Hopefully I can pull it off.

Comment

I have 2 hives in my back yard in Houston. Agreed, they are fascinating little creatures. There is a ton of info on YouTube and if you ask 10 beekeepers a question, you’ll get 10 different answers. Some people just do things differently. I haven’t had any honey from my hives yet, but I can’t wait until I do. No such thing as a dumb question, we all started at the same place.

Comment

Originally posted by CentexRancher View Post
                        I have one I am going to try and catch this upcoming week if you have any tips. Been watching alot of youtube videos on how to catch them. Hopefully I can pull it off.
                        For swarm catching just take that empty nuc box, buy some "swarm commander", spray 1 or 2 squirts onto an empty frame you put in it, then put out in an area you know or at least has a good likelihood of having bees, then wait for a swarm to move in. One very important part always, always, always without fail wear your bee suit when dealing with feral bees, we do live and operate in the "Africanized bee zone" you never know when your going to come across a very aggressive bunch of bees.

Comment

^^^ lemongrass oil also works well, too

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                            I have 9 hives on my 10 acre property in Kaufman Co. I found a beekeeper a couple of months ago and just did it for the ag exemption. I will say...bees are pretty cool and beekeeping is a fascinating hobby. If nothing else it’s neat to watch nature work.

My beekeeper was out a couple of weeks ago and I was able to get the first sample of the land’s product. [emoji108]

It didn’t suck![emoji14]
                            Thats awesome. Im not a huge honey fanatic, but cant wait until my hives are producing.

Comment

I currently have 25 hives, all feral bees. They are too aggressive to work without protection but they make good honey and loads of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X