Gas or diesel? Pro's and cons of both

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CPR09 View Post
    If you pull any weight at all id go with the diesel if it fits within your finances. There is hardly any difference in maintenance cost if you get the diesel deleted. And there is no comparison in power.
    Really. Just curious about this answer. All you get rid of is DEF fluid and ruin your warranty on a new one.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
        Well if you get a diesel everytime you cut someone off in traffic and blow nasty black smoke all over them your peepee grows .05"

Its science
        That’s great! And the fact it’s been scientifically proven is even better! I see these wannabe bad boys everyday driving around in their $60,000 mall crawlers and don’t even own a trailer. Always wondered why and you just gave me the scientific answer!

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
          That’s great! And the fact it’s been scientifically proven is even better! I see these wannabe bad boys everyday driving around in their $60,000 mall crawlers and don’t even own a trailer. Always wondered why and you just gave me the scientific answer!
          Hey man I'm here for the benefit of all my TBH brothers, just glad I can share the knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
            Really. Just curious about this answer. All you get rid of is DEF fluid and ruin your warranty on a new one.
            You no longer have to deal with a dpf filter becoming clogged or need to re-gen. Your egr is no longer feeding dirty air back through your exhaust system to try to save the enviorment. Your truck is aloud to breathe just like the diesels of old, you can add horsepower and torque and still improve fuel mileage at the same time. I feel lime there are a lot of guys on this website that discourage people from pulling the trigger on diesel trucks because they are mis-informed.

But then again i have to remind myself that there are alot of guys that live within 30 miles of a major city, and their only experience with trucks is pulling travel trailers and utv’s to their deer lease to check feeders during deer season on somebody elses property.
            Last edited by CPR09; 06-13-2019, 08:19 PM.

Comment

GM’s new 6.6L gas 3/4 ton comes out in 2020. Finally replacing the 6.0 and looks to be a nice improvement on torque and a bit of improvement on HP. May be worth the wait?

Comment

Originally posted by HFDSwasta View Post
                GM’s new 6.6L gas 3/4 ton comes out in 2020. Finally replacing the 6.0 and looks to be a nice improvement on torque and a bit of improvement on HP. May be worth the wait?
                And Ford will offer a 7.3 gas that should make more power than the 6.6.

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
                  Anyone else have an opinion? I am pretty sure I know which route to go. I wish Chevy still put the 5.7 liter 350 in their trucks. If they did, I would not even be asking this question and would not be looking for a different truck. Man, my old 89 Chevy had that 350 and it was bulletproof. I loved that truck. These dang 5.3 liter motors are decent, but that 350 was a hoss.
                  Believe me the old 350 don't hold a candle to the 6.2, heck 400 mopar in my 32 coupe don't have the get up that my truck has.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                    And Ford will offer a 7.3 gas that should make more power than the 6.6.
                    That's the one I am waiting to check out.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                      A 6.0 ( 364ci)and a 6.2 are real work horses with proven work capable
                      I agree the gmc 350 should have never been replaced by a 5.3(327) “ but they can be improved with a throttle upgrade and a mod to stop the amf”
                      Having 373 gears would be nice to
                      Yep. My last two 5.3s get intake, exhaust,tune, and the 3.73 gears it's a beast. Not a diesel. But cruises with a boat on the highway like a caddie.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Man, with what you're doing. Go 6.2 liter Chevy or GMC 1/2 ton. Cadillac ride and all the power you need.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                          That's the one I am waiting to check out.
                          Curious as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
                            Yep. My last two 5.3s get intake, exhaust,tune, and the 3.73 gears it's a beast. Not a diesel. But cruises with a boat on the highway like a caddie.

Would you mind elaborating on what you did to your 5.3, as far as which intake, what exhaust, and a real tune or a programmable one? I have thought about this route as well. What transmission do you have or did you have in those 5.3's? I have been told that the 4L60e probably could not hold the power and torque if I were to put headers and magnaflow exhaust and inwould have to replace it with a 4L80. I probably need to re-gear as well. I am not sure what my truck has now.

All good info and thanks for the input.

Comment

I’ve got a 6.2

S&B Cold Air Intake
                              Hypertech Programmer

In fuel economy mode I’ve gotten 22mpg on the highway @75mph
                              Most of the time I’m in performance mode and get 16-17 in town. I’ve got a heavy foot.

Don’t haul anything other than my Mule. Pulled my Tacoma on a 16’ trailer once and knew it was there, but had no problem accelerating with traffic or passing.

Comment

I pull a gooseneck stock trailer fairly often. I have a 2004 2500HD GMC 6.0 and a 2017 2500HD 6.0 both 4 wheel drive. In between these 2 I had a 2014 2500HD chevy diesel 4X4. Did the diesel have more power? Yes. Did I really need it? No. With the added cost of fuel and maintenance it just was not worth it to me. If I hauled big loads at least once a week it would have been worth it. I decided it was not worth it to me and so that is why I have the 2017. The 2004 will still pull fine but it now has 250,000+ hard miles on it and I only use it for towing within 100 miles of the house. It has never broken down on me but I keep thinking that at some point it just has to have somethnig go wrong.

-john

Comment

Working...
                                X