I'm knot crazy....Fly Leaders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm knot crazy....Fly Leaders

Thinking about building fly leaders here. I use the perfection loop for the heavy end going to the fly line.
    But then tying mono to mono we have the surgeon, blood, uni etc.
    The uni seems the simplest. Just wondering what the best knots are for building leaders and the advantages to each type of knot.

Not for a fly... but for braid to Fluoro leader I was using a double uni, but switched to a shin knot. It’s smaller than the uni and haven’t had a issue with it yet. Pretty simple once you do it a couple of times

Comment

My mid 40's have struck and I need to readers to see anything right in front of my face. The double uni, line to line and a uni to hook are easiest to tie as a blurry mess.

Comment

Comment

I use the Crazy Alberto to join two similar lines and mono to braid. I have the same old eyes issue you have, and can tie it without my cheaters... I do have readers in my Costas tho..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXjagwdjAhg"]Crazy Alberto Knot Video | Strongest Braid to Fluoro Knot Contest - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I like a blood knot. I haven’t tried some of the others but it’s always worked for me and it’s quick and easy to tie. Never had one fail so haven’t switched

Comment

For 9 weight and under I do a loop from the butt to the fly line, then blood knots the rest of the way down.

Comment

Sorry I didn’t read correctly, I was just thinking leader to tippet. I do the same as Clay from the fly line

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                For 9 weight and under I do a loop from the butt to the fly line, then blood knots the rest of the way down.

Comment

Barrel knot, I think this is the same as the blood knot.

Comment

I use the uni knot for every thing from the reel to the fly. It works very well even for the backing to fly line and leader to fly line.

Comment

I use to make my own tapered Leaders with what is called a Blood - Knot. Depends on type of fishing .. On dry flies 2 or 4 pound test or Northern Pike ... 8 - 12 on the end tied to the fly. Started with something heavier tied to the fly line and worked my way down .. Don't really want a leader much longer than the Rod.

Comment

I ended up making 8 leaders last night using 30#, 20# and 15# mono. Used the double uni. I couldn't get the blood knot to scrunch up clean on the 30# line. Probably the diameter but still learning.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                          I ended up making 8 leaders last night using 30#, 20# and 15# mono. Used the double uni. I couldn't get the blood knot to scrunch up clean on the 30# line. Probably the diameter but still learning.
                          Between the #30 and the #20? How many "twists" were you using?

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                            Between the #30 and the #20? How many "twists" were you using?
                            I tried 5 and 7.

Comment

If you want a quick and easy tip for tying blood knots, google the toothpick method.

Comment

Working...
                              X