Cactus Buck kill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slickrick View Post
    Any idea why you have that many. I killed one in Shackelford Co. In 1998 that was a good 8 pt with 6 in bases, only one I have ever seen.
    Mineral and Lichen consumption is what biologists have said.

Everyone of them have had nads, just itty bitty.

Occasionally we will get some that are semi hard horned. Just enough testosterone to start to harden but not finish.
    Last edited by Texans42; 10-16-2018, 02:47 PM.

Comment

We have quite a few of them on our place out of Mason, and kill a couple every year, we were told it may have something to do with the deer eating a lichen that grows in the rocks.

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

That's always been a dream of mine to take one of these.

Comment

Very cool! We had one running around our lease near Mason but no one managed a shot on it. There was a hot argument over whether or not it was a cactus buck or antlered doe.

Comment

very cool

Comment

We have an old 10 pt still in velvet on our place this year.

Comment

Very cool buck.

Comment

So these are Jason Garrett deer?

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                        Mineral and Lichen consumption is what biologists have said.

Everyone of them have had nads, just itty bitty.

Occasionally we will get some that are semi hard horned. Just enough testosterone to start to harden but not finish.
                        Hunted Llano the last 13 years, just moved to Melvin. A few were killed each year. Lichen consumption is what I heard from a Biologist also. It grows on the granite outcroppings and the deer nibble it off and it affects their hormones.
                        Good eating! They cannot breed so might as well harvest them all if you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                          It's the millennial generational thing. It's spreading to deer. No balls.
                          LOL, but unfortunately so true.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                            I hunted a place last year near Buchanan dam that had a bunch of them. We were told to shoot on sight. I think 3 were killed that weekend including mine.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                            I know where that one was killed. Between Llano and Buchanan. Schmidt Electric has that place leased. Huge piece of property. 17,000 acres I think. Cool Place.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                              I hunted a place last year near Buchanan dam that had a bunch of them. We were told to shoot on sight. I think 3 were killed that weekend including mine.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

We must have been pretty close last year. I could see the **** from my lease. Literally right across the road from Reverend Jim’s. Never saw any weird deer like that. Pretty cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We also hunt in Llano and have a few of these. I killed one last year that was a 12 pt. Freaky rack, drops , velvet, massive bases. I called him my bucket list buck.

Comment

Working...
                                X