Have your equipment set up perfectly!
    Otherwise, you might miss one.

So I shot this hog Wednesday afternoon.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200527_191142.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	25213782
    And I set a coyote trap about 20 yards downwind of the carcass.
    Just a little punch hole on a trail that I've seen coyote tracks on.(By good fortune, that is just where the hog fell.) I put some Locklear's Boss Dog on a cotton ball and shove it down in the punch hole.

Name:	20200528_200237.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	25213783
    Nothing yesterday, but today I check and see that something has scratched at the hole. Obviously no catch, but I think that possibly I got the trap too close-in to the hole. I take my little whisk broom and clean the pan off, thinking it is completely undisturbed, and I will just put another hole farther back.
    What I found is, I was right on for distance and I am about 1/2 of a millimeter or 90 thousandths away from catching a coyote.

Name:	20200530_184005.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	25213784

Name:	20200530_184011.jpg
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	25213785
    The coyote foot depressed the pan, but I guess it stopped on something underneath. Or he didn't mash hard enough. I don't know. I am now using peat moss instead of the foam "under pans".
    I got my Leatherman out, and in the field filed down the length of my dog a little bit more than what was left to go to trip the trap. I remake the set, taking my cordless drill and auger and drill a deeper hole, using some Locklear's Coyote Claymore #2 on a cotton ball for bait , and putting the original cotton ball with Boss Dog down in the hole.

Name:	20200530_185608.jpg
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	25213786
    Wish me luck. The set can lay for up to two weeks, but I hope it doesn't take that long.

Good looking set! I had the same thing happen to me not long ago, on a small high fence place. I’ve caught the rest of the coyotes out of there, just 1 female left. She’s been tough to catch and her track was about as dead center on the pan as you could get.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
      Good looking set! I had the same thing happen to me not long ago, on a small high fence place. I’ve caught the rest of the coyotes out of there, just 1 female left. She’s been tough to catch and her track was about as dead center on the pan as you could get.
      Oh, wow!
      Yeah, a God-awful weird thing about this trail, is like a lizard has been running up and down the thing and there are little squiggly lines all over the ground. I had a hard time even even finding a partial coyote track on the trail.

Comment

My last set was getting dug up, dang yotes. I assumed they smelled something so out of frustration I wiped down my traps with fresh prickly pear before setting, it worked!

Comment

cool..............

Comment

Got coyotes in the area I need to trap or shoot. Their killing family pets and chickens. I have no experience hunting or trapping them. Open to ideas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Fredmorris View Post
              Got coyotes in the area I need to trap or shoot. Their killing family pets and chickens. I have no experience hunting or trapping them. Open to ideas.....
              Youtube for both calling and trapping.
              Randy Anderson is a good place to start, imo, for calling.
              Management Advantage and Clint Locklear/Wolfer Nation for trapping.
              You may have to sift through several videos to find the ones pertinent to "beginning coyote trapping " on the Locklear channel. He has good info, though.

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
                My last set was getting dug up, dang yotes. I assumed they smelled something so out of frustration I wiped down my traps with fresh prickly pear before setting, it worked!
                I have a picture of a trap that was flipped out of the trap bed and is laying upside down, still set, on top of the bait hole. I resized the pic, but it is still too big to post.

Comment

Had to crop the hell out of this picture to get it to load.

Name:	20200530_212648.jpg
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	24620118

Comment

Haha....dang song dogs are slick.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                      Had to crop the hell out of this picture to get it to load.
                      [ATTACH]1005632[/ATTACH]

Sweet rig you got there! Old school doublelong-spring with with reinforced base-plate.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                        Sweet rig you got there! Old school doublelong-spring with with reinforced base-plate.
                        Yeah, I got #4 long springs specifically to put big pans on them.

Name:	20160125_120847.jpg
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	24620119

Comment

You got serious on them dogs!

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                            Yeah, I got #4 long springs specifically to put big pans on them.
                            [ATTACH]1005634[/ATTACH]
                            An lamented jaws! What’s the dimensions on those custom pans?

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                              An lamented jaws! What’s the dimensions on those custom pans?
                              They are electrical box covers, from the hardware store. Look at 1 o'clock and 7 o'clock and you can see a hole and a notch, used for attaching the cover to the box.

Comment

Working...
                              X