• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily Bible Portion (Friday)

Daily Bible Portion – 6 of 7
    "IN MY DECREES"

(Weekly Reading>>Leviticus 26:3-27:34, Jeremiah 16:19-17:14
    Matthew 23:1-24:2, John 14:15-21; 15:10-12)

The Tithe and the History of Rabbinic Authority

With the destruction of the Second Temple in 70 CE, the priests were out of their element. It was during this time that they experienced rabbinic competition for their authority. In 70 more years, their authority would be completely in the hands of the rabbis. In Scripture, it was the priests that the Lord gave the authority to, not the rabbis. Rabbinic writings contain only the views of the rabbis on how the sacrifices and offerings were to be conducted; they do not contain the views of the priests who had conducted them. The rabbis rejected all Sadducean views, and the priests were primarily Sadducees. The rabbinic writings declared that the rabbis were the ones with the authority not the priests. If the Temple were ever to be rebuilt, the priests would have to operate under rabbinic law, whereas Scripture states that this is clearly under the domain of the priests. With the rabbinic authority in place, the rabbis laid down the law for the priests.

It was Akiba, the father of rabbinic Judaism, who put into motion the rabbinical order in place of the priests. His decisions effectively demolished the priestly authority and nullified the Lord's law of the tithe that provided for their support. Akiba authorized the law of gathering the grain far too early so that the grain not gathered was free from the tithe. He went further to maintain that the grain was free from tithes unless it was stored in a protected barn. If it was stored in a court to which two people had keys, it was unprotected and free from tithes (Mish. Ma'aserot 3.5; Mish. Ma'aser Sheni 4.8).

These interpretations effectually abolished the whole system of tithes. Abolishing the whole system of tithes effectually eliminated the livelihood of the priests, which effectually eliminated the priesthood as a competitor for rabbinic authority. In this way, Akiba was able to firmly establish his own Judaism over that of the priests, to make the Torah what he says it "should have been." It was Akiba's involvement in the Bar Kokhba rebellion that led to the never before complete expulsion of the Jewish people from the land of Israel for eighteen centuries.

Today believers are learning to rebuild and maintain the Tabernacle of the Lord (His Kingdom), just as the Israelites did. If we are reading this lesson we are part of the remnant of Ephraim and Judah rebuilding and unifying together in a fulfillment of prophecy. We are returning in record numbers, living out Ezekiel 37. The Lord is rebuilding David's fallen tent by placing the desire to know God's teaching and instruction in our hearts. We are the fulfillment of Jeremiah 31:31-34. Our tenth or tithe is a command for today just as it was for the Israelites in Leviticus. The tithe is needed to fulfill the vision, not for the receiver but for those who give the tithe. This is our seed. By giving the tithe, the seeds we give bring provision into our lives. It is like making a deposit into the Lord's bank of blessings. This is why we give with a joyful heart. (Luke 12:41-44)

The Book of Malachi is for the restoration of the priesthood. His teaching on the tithe is foundational to the priesthood.

Malachi 3:6-12 "For I am the LORD/Yahweh, I do not change; therefore you are not consumed, O sons of Jacob. Yet from the days of your fathers you have gone away from My ordinances and have not kept them. Return to Me, and I will return to you," says the LORD of hosts. "But you said, 'In what way shall we return?' "Will a man rob God? Yet you have robbed Me!" But you say, 'In what way have we robbed You?' "In tithes and offerings. You are cursed with a curse, for you have robbed Me, even this whole nation.

Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be food in My house, and try Me now in this," says the LORD of hosts, "If I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you such blessing that there will not be room enough to receive it. And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, so that he will not destroy the fruit of your ground, nor shall the vine fail to bear fruit for you in the field," says the LORD of hosts; "and all nations will call you blessed, for you will be a delightful land," says the LORD of hosts."

continues tomorrow...

Amen!

Comment

Working...
    X