No announcement yet.

Cast Iron Skillet Fried Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I got me some fried chicken for supper, wasn't homemade in a cast iron skillet but we got us a mom&pop greasy spoon here in town that turns out fried chicken good enough to fix a craving!

Comment

Similarly, there is no better way to do skin on chicken thighs than in a cast iron skillet. Gets that skin nice n crispy!

Comment

I fry alot of our homegrown chicken like this. Only difference is I use lard instead of shortening. As long as the grease is hot, I also fry some sliced mushrooms and dill pickle slices. The kids always joke "Hey Dad, can you fry our salads too?" Great eating!

Comment

What brand of lard do you like best?

Comment

We've never bought it - we make our own from the hogs that we raise.

Comment

I always do it in a cast iron. 95% of the meals in our house are in a cast iron skillet or grill/smoker.

Thanks for the tip about turning it way down and covering. I struggle to get the inside meat cooked without over browning the skin. I’ve been just doing it in the skillet until the skin looks right, then putting them on a rack in the oven until they hit 145, but it looses some of the crunch/grease. Pouring a splash of grease over it at the end wasn’t a good experiment either.

Comment

I have a lot of old cast iron cook ware. One of the pieces that I have is a extra deep skillet with a cast iron lid and it is labeled “chicken fryer “, it was one of the first pieces that I got, I have never cooked fried chicken in it. I think I will give this recipe a try this week.

Comment

Yum

Comment

Thanks for sharing...definitely going to give this a try.

Comment

Originally posted by oneeye View Post
                      We've never bought it - we make our own from the hogs that we raise.
                      Awesome

Comment

That's the same way I fry squirrels. After eating some good fried squirrel none of them are safe.

Comment

Same way my momma would fry chicken. She would make her skillet gravy afterward. Man that was some good cooking. Mom was the best!

Comment

I Need to try this, thanks

Comment

That looks good.. my wife bought me a new Dutch oven for frying fish.. i love the way cast iron cooks

Comment

Working...
                              X