Effect of worms on antler growth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Effect of worms on antler growth

I know worming deer has been discussed here, but has there been any studies on the effects of intestinal worms and other parasites and their direct effect on antler growth?

Just would like to read such data if it exists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't imagine that it would be good but it might not be negative

Comment

I would think it's gotta impact them. We wormed our deer for the first time last year, along with changing protein brands and our deer put on the weight! Our average buck weight is 175 pounds live weight. This year two bucks were killed, one went 202 and the other 212. I'm sure the change in protein helped some but I know the wormer helped.

Comment

We dewormed the deer on one of our places for the first time this week, planning on doing it again in October, looking forward to this experiment over the next couple of years.

Comment

What dewormer are you guys using? Is it a treated feed? I know south of the border they get to use a treated feed, but we can't use it up here.

Comment

How do you deworm deer

Comment

Look up the thread I started... Who feeds Medicated Protein? ... lots of great info...

Comment

Ivermectin treated corn.

Comment

Originally posted by redfishted View Post
                  Ivermectin treated corn.
                  I know Ivermectin is a dewormer, but from a quick search it looks like the Ivermectin treated corn and protein is targeting ticks more than anything.

Do you have a study or some data you could share on the benefit, how much to feed, how often, etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
                    What dewormer are you guys using? Is it a treated feed? I know south of the border they get to use a treated feed, but we can't use it up here.
                    Originally posted by warrington View Post
                    How do you deworm deer
                    Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                    Look up the thread I started... Who feeds Medicated Protein? ... lots of great info...

Here is Mexico's thread. It's a medicated protein.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                      I know Ivermectin is a dewormer, but from a quick search it looks like the Ivermectin treated corn and protein is targeting ticks more than anything.

Do you have a study or some data you could share on the benefit, how much to feed, how often, etc.?
                      Just practical, buddy on a good size ranch not far from us has been using it with good results so we are giving it a try.

Comment

There was some research out of Kingsville at CKWRI several years ago on the effects of internal parasites on antler growth, specifically on non-typical antlers if I remember correctly. Don't remember the student doing the research though. Maybe call CKWRI?

Comment

Ivermectin is a wormer, it also takes care of ticks as well - so external as well as internal. The issues is getting it in the right amount to the deer. Most of the wormers that are used for deer, that are available, are formulated in such a way that they can't overdose on it. It's not as effective as the Ivermectin but still works.
                          It would be interesting to take a concrete mixer and put corn in it and pour on some of the good wormers for sure, then feed in a timed protein feeder.

Either way yes worming works. You get rid of the worms and the gut can absorb more.

Comment

Working...
                          X