No announcement yet.

Saddle hunting thoughts??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just getting into this. Just purchased my Tethrd Phantom saddle and Recliner and have received them, just waiting on the accessories, ropes, carabiners, mech prusiks, ring of steps. Looking forward to this.

Never heard of the TX5 till today.

Still debating on platform type.

Comment

Following

Comment

I’m leaning towards the latitude method 2-panel saddle. I will most likely be doing the 1-stick/rappel method for climbing and descending. Can’t wait to walk in with less than 20 pounds on my back.

Comment

I just tried out my new jx3 hybrid this weekend with the hawk heliums and am a huge fan. It's not as minimalist as other brands, but **** its comfortable and easy to sit in. I hunt private, so hiking 10 miles is not on my list of needs, although it's a frame pack, so you really don't feel the weight when hiking in.

Had 6 does 15 yds downwind of me sunday am for half an hour, I had copiously applied some tinks and while they would look up at me every few minutes, they never got spooky because of the cover scent and the fact that the tree was between me and them.

I love the fact that I can trim multiple spots for different wind conditions and setup and hunt. Will be a game changer in bow season next year

Comment

I've made the switch from loc-on to saddle and couldn't be happier - I don't think I'll sell my Summit Viper (for all day sits), but I'll never purchase a loc-on again.

I have a Treehopper Recon sling - for the money and availability its really good. I say availability since most saddle makers now have a wait time - also, check out H2 saddles they're made in the USA.

I initially purchased the Treehopper platform but don't use it - instead I use Out on a Limb Scout Stick platform that attaches to my stick - really lightweight and no need to carry/put on additional equipment on a tree.

I find that the two panels sling vs a saddle doesn't offer that much benefit - cause the idea that the two panels of Treehopper Recon Sling allows you to move the upper panel higher (back support) isn't really that realistic. Once you find the "sweet spot" that's comfortable - you're not going to want to move it...turns out that the "sweet spot" is usually pretty close to where "normal" saddles usually sit. The Treehopper is a superb product - well made and uses a classic Anderson style sling design - however, that's where the benefits stop vs the H2 saddle. Treehopper Recon Sling - top portion will want to drop on you as soon as you stand on your platform (I've had mine down to my knees in the dark...wasn't fun) - I believe he's refined the belt of the recon sling (added one). If you add a dump pouch (for your tether) to the sling it's going to want to drag your top portion down while walking to your tree.

Comment

I've made the switch from loc-on to saddle and couldn't be happier - I don't think I'll sell my Summit Viper (for all day sits), but I'll never purchase a loc-on again.

I have a Treehopper Recon sling - for the money and availability its really good. I say availability since most saddle makers now have a wait time - also, check out H2 saddles they're made in the USA.

I initially purchased the Treehopper platform but don't use it - instead I use Out on a Limb Scout Stick platform that attaches to my stick - really lightweight and no need to carry/put on additional equipment on a tree.

I find that the two panels sling vs a saddle doesn't offer that much benefit - cause the idea that the two panels of Treehopper Recon Sling allows you to move the upper panel higher (back support) isn't really that realistic. Once you find the "sweet spot" that's comfortable - you're not going to want to move it...turns out that the "sweet spot" is usually pretty close to where "normal" saddles usually sit. The Treehopper is a superb product - well made and uses a classic Anderson style sling design - however, that's where the benefits stop vs the H2 saddle. Treehopper Recon Sling - top portion will want to drop on you as soon as you stand on your platform (I've had mine down to my knees in the dark...wasn't fun) - I believe he's refined the belt of the recon sling (added one). If you add a dump pouch (for your tether) to the sling it's going to want to drag your top portion down while walking to your tree.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                Just getting into this. Just purchased my Tethrd Phantom saddle and Recliner and have received them, just waiting on the accessories, ropes, carabiners, mech prusiks, ring of steps. Looking forward to this.

Never heard of the TX5 till today.

Still debating on platform type.
                I have received all my accessories. Next step is to decide what climbing method to use.
                I bought both size of ropes, wasn't real sure which size was best.

Gonna get in a tree here pretty quick, will report what I experience

Comment

Working...
                X