What’s a good....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What’s a good....

Need recommendations for a good youth model shotgun for a 9YO. Son decided to take off fall baseball and wants to shoot skeet for 4H. He has a single shot .410 he’s been wearing dove out with but I don’t think that’s going to get it done in a competition. Looking for a 20 gauge. Thanks in advance.

870 youth model. Served my son well. Remington ain’t what it use to be, but it’s still a good and cheap standard for kiddos.

Comment

Browning Citori CXS micro

Comment

Cool that your son wants to do this. Any chance other 4-H shooters maybe a little older might have a shotgun your son can at least try out? If so, get some real light load 20 gauge shells and let him shoot some clays at a skeet range. Ask parents of other 4-H skeet shooters for some advice, suggestions, etc. Good luck, and get ready for the day your son can routinely outshoot you like mine did.

Comment

Take a look at the Mossberg SA-20. It has gone bang every time my wife (4'11') has pulled the trigger and won't break the bank.

Comment

My 9 year old shoots a cheap Tri star 20 auto and loves it. Great gun

Comment

Originally posted by 3whunt View Post
              870 youth model. Served my son well. Remington ain’t what it use to be, but it’s still a good and cheap standard for kiddos.

This is what I did when mine were 11 and 12 yoa. Rem Express Youth and ladies model. It's a 21" barreled 20ga with a smaller stock and scaled down for smaller people. I've used it for dove and teal when pre scouting Oct deer. It points fast. Only weighs about 6-lbs. I've also killed deer with the modified choke it came with. Additional chokes can be picked up on clearance all the time for about $10. I've gotten an IC and a Full for it. But have never used them as the Mod has done all I've ever asked. One of my grandsons will get it as soon as their non hunting Dad will let them go with me . Their Mom, my daughter (now 40), is all about them going. But I don't say nothing cause I don't want to cause any disruption in their marriage. The boys on the other hand, always ask when they can go with "Granddaddy". All I can do is tell them "Any time they want to", for now.

Comment

Originally posted by 3ChordTruth View Post
                Cool that your son wants to do this. Any chance other 4-H shooters maybe a little older might have a shotgun your son can at least try out? If so, get some real light load 20 gauge shells and let him shoot some clays at a skeet range. Ask parents of other 4-H skeet shooters for some advice, suggestions, etc. Good luck, and get ready for the day your son can routinely outshoot you like mine did.
                That’s a great idea. I’ll look into that. Last night I was going to shoot after him but I never got to fire shot. I showed animals in 4H back in the day but never knew skeet shooting was a thing. We’ll see how he does.

Comment

Originally posted by Saltaholic View Post
                  My 9 year old shoots a cheap Tri star 20 auto and loves it. Great gun
                  That’s awesome. Lately I don’t even pull my gun out, just sit with him while he hunts. I thought when he got older, he’d be my bird dog but I get more enjoyment out of just watching him shoot. Trying to teach him hunting etiquette of how not to blow someone’s eardrums out and still have a good time. I’ve hunted with guys that would shoot right next to your head and not think twice about it.

Comment

Buy once, cry once. I went through a his a couple years ago.

Beretta A300 Outlander in 12g. 1oz loads will be fine for him. I think my son has well over 10,000 rounds thru his without a single hiccup. He bird hunts, shoots trap, skeet, SC and 5 stand with it.

Best bang for the buck there is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                      Buy once, cry once. I went through a his a couple years ago.

Beretta A300 Outlander in 12g. 1oz loads will be fine for him. I think my son has well over 10,000 rounds thru his without a single hiccup. He bird hunts, shoots trap, skeet, SC and 5 stand with it.

Best bang for the buck there is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great gun but no way a 9 year old can handle and wing shoot with a 28” 12ga

Need to stick to a youth size 20 if he’s any similar size to most 9 year olds

Comment

A 28ga o/u would be great. I have a Yildiz that isn't specifically a youth model, but the stock is pretty short. 26" barrels. The gun is cheap enough you could cut the stock down a little if you needed to without feeling bad about it. I did that with my son when he was 9. Then a year or two later I glued the cut off back onto the stock.

Comment

For a kid starting out shooting skeet, I would recommend a good semi auto in 20 ga. Once he gets better, and bigger, you can move him up to a 12. I started with a Rem 1100 youth, and moved up to a 12 O/U at around 13. Served me well, and never had a problem competing with other kids. Most important factor in selecting a shotgun is fit. Find a gun that fits him well, and he’ll be ahead of the curve on shooting it. A $10,000 gun that doesn’t fit right is just an expensive paper weight.

Comment

Look at a Remington 11-87 youth model 20 ga.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Comment

Put me down for the Weatherby SA-08 20 ga in a youth stock. Get semi-auto gun for the price and dang dependable. No way in hell would I put a kid in an 870 express 20 gauge. They are a thumping mofo.

Comment

Working...
                              X