Max stalling question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Max stalling question

Anyone have an idea on what it would cost to get Max to play a private acoustic show? Just him and heather, not full band. The wife and I are both turning 50 and thought this would be a cool thing. His booking agents website says to make an offer, but I have no idea on cost

I have a buddy that does this for a living, I can see if he'll reach out. That said, he got Cory Morrow a few years back for $5k.....and a bowl of green m&m's....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Calrob View Post
      I have a buddy that does this for a living, I can see if he'll reach out. That said, he got Cory Morrow a few years back for $5k.....and a bowl of green m&m's....

Is green m&ms code for cocaine?

Comment

Lol, nope

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
          Is green m&ms code for cocaine?
          That was the old Cory.

Comment

Originally posted by bullhead44 View Post
            Anyone have an idea on what it would cost to get Max to play a private acoustic show? Just him and heather, not full band. The wife and I are both turning 50 and thought this would be a cool thing. His booking agents website says to make an offer, but I have no idea on cost
            i would think since they cannot play bars and concerts anymore they are more willing to negotiate. but i have no idea on cost.i would figure travel costs plus a few grand.

Comment

Originally posted by Calrob View Post

I suspect this has to do with the whole "brown M&M" story regarding contracting?

Comment

Idk about that. Cory wanted a bowl of green M&Ms. Likely just a diva, in control type thing. But he played an hour set for $5k and those green M&Ms

Comment

Here is where my reference came from:

At first glance it appears to be a crowning symbol of obnoxious rock star excess, yet a closer look reveals a deeper story about how a band used a tiny candy to alert them to major problems.

The 1970s saw the rise of Van Halen. Like every band, when Van Halen was hired to play a show, they provided the promoter with a contract “rider” that outlined specific things the promoter would be responsible for. Standard riders include sound and lighting requirements, instructions for the set up of the backstage area, security needs and nutritional requests for the band and crew. These details can be as critical as the precise weight of the speakers or as trivial as the specific brand of toilet paper that the band demands in their backstage washroom. It’s all in the rider.

Buried amongst dozens of points in Van Halen’s rider was an odd stipulation that there were to be no brown M&M's candies in the backstage area. If any brown M&M’s were found backstage, the band could cancel the entire concert at the full expense of the promoter. That meant that because of a single candy, a promoter could lose millions.

For decades this stood as a humiliating act of self-indulgence, a rock band forcing someone to search through candy, removing every last brown one, for no apparent reason. Yet when lead singer David Lee Roth finally divulged the real reason for the bizarre clause, an entirely different picture was painted, one that serves as a valuable lesson for business.

In now-departed arenas such as Toronto’s Maple Leaf Gardens, the original Boston Garden and Chicago Stadium, Van Halen was loading in massive amounts of staging, sound equipment and lighting. Unfortunately, these buildings were never built to accommodate a rock band of Van Halen’s scope. Without specific guidelines, old floors could buckle and collapse, beams could rupture, and the lives of the band, their crew and fans could be at serious risk.

To ensure the promoter had read every single word in the contract, the band created the “no brown M&M's” clause. It was a canary in a coalmine to indicate that the promoter may have not paid attention to other more important parts of the rider, and that there could be other bigger problems at hand.

Whenever the band found brown M&M's candies backstage, they immediately did a complete line check, inspecting every aspect of the sound, lighting and stage setup to make sure it was perfect. David Lee Roth would also trash the band’s dressing room to prove a point -- reinforcing his reputation in the process.

Comment

Never heard that before. Seems reasonable...

Comment

Now would be the time to do it! Musicians are struggling right now with all their venues closed. I’ve been watching Max and Heather on there “We ain’t drinking alone Wednesday” shows and it’s been great! I think one of the members son here is running their Facebook online concerts as well. Pre-covid it was out of our price range for them to play at our wedding, but now it might be a lot cheaper, and bonus points the closer you are to Dallas (less travel for them).

You might even get a private zoom concert for a lot cheaper than you think.

Check out their weekly show on fb every Wednesday!

Jason Slocum

Comment

I think Max was $10k a few years back for a private show.

Comment

^wow he’s mediocre at best. Doug Moreland would be way more fun

Comment

Originally posted by Speck View Post
                            I think Max was $10k a few years back for a private show.
                            I want to say this was what we were quoted for a private show as well. A few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
                              ^wow he’s mediocre at best. Doug Moreland would be way more fun
                              Especially if he brought a chainsaw.

Comment

Working...
                              X