Axis Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axis Question

New lease in Blanco County. Super excited about our first opportunity at some axis meat and hopefully antlers. We currently have 2 does showing up regularly on camera and a small buck about once a month.

Should we pass on the does and use them to attract larger bucks? Want meat, but don’t want to mess up a change to get a larger buck. Whatcha think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s really a gamble. You can either shoot a doe or pass on everything in hopes to establish a herd. They could disappear or hop the fence and get shot (assuming you are low fence). If you want the meat bad enough, I’d shoot a doe. If not, I’d roll the dice and see what happens.

Comment

The rut is over. Shoot if you want some meat

Comment

Yeah take them. More will come around. Get an Alfalfa feeder. Problem solved.

Comment

They kill my alfalfa.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by TAMU84 View Post
            The rut is over. Shoot if you want some meat

I was understanding that there was no defined axis rut in TX...???

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post

Correct. They have 2 rough breeding seasons but could be in the mood anytime. That's why you see antler development in various stages year round.

Comment

Are you guys feeding alfalfa in a hay feeder? I haven't tried that because I read several guys on here saying their axis would eat it off the ground but wouldn't go near a hay feeder.

Comment

There are does in heat and bucks in hard antler every month of the year. Biggest part of them (probably about 2/3 of them) rut in May-July. But there is some rut activity pretty much any time.

Put some chaffhaye out. They love that stuff. Or just plain old alfalfa is good too. The axis on my current lease will come to corn and protein feeders just like whitetail. But other places I've hunted, the axis were there but they would come to a feeder maybe once a month if you were lucky. They'll hit chaffhaye all day every day and twice on Sunday though, if it's available.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                    There are does in heat and bucks in hard antler every month of the year. Biggest part of them (probably about 2/3 of them) rut in May-July. But there is some rut activity pretty much any time.

Put some chaffhaye out. They love that stuff. Or just plain old alfalfa is good too. The axis on my current lease will come to corn and protein feeders just like whitetail. But other places I've hunted, the axis were there but they would come to a feeder maybe once a month if you were lucky. They'll hit chaffhaye all day every day and twice on Sunday though, if it's available.

We put out some chauffeye and the WT hammered it.

Comment

Originally posted by TXbowman View Post
                      Are you guys feeding alfalfa in a hay feeder? I haven't tried that because I read several guys on here saying their axis would eat it off the ground but wouldn't go near a hay feeder.

I spread it out on the ground and in the lower limbs of a cedar tree. The WT here hammer it too for some reason.

Comment

Put out alfalfa and they will come. Get a hoochie mana elk call and if there is a axis buck around he will come in or answer.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                          Put out alfalfa and they will come. Get a hoochie mana elk call and if there is a axis buck around he will come in or answer.

They will answer that call? Rut only?

Comment

They will answer that call? Rut only?

When they're rutting, they'll come to a call and/or rattling. In June, my son and I were hunting. We were slipping through the brush and saw a buck go through an opening a couple hundred yards ahead. We dropped down next to some bushes about 20 yards from each other. I blew the Easy Axis call (sounds like a buck bellowing) and hit the antlers. Zach blew the Elk Reel cow call (sounds just like an axis doe too). Almost instantly we had 2 young bucks in our laps. About 30 seconds later, 3 more. The old guy that Zach had seen crossing the opening came in about a minute later. 6 bucks within 30-50 yards. He asked if the biggest was a shooter. I said, sure if you want him. He killed him. His teeth were worn down to nubs. I thought he was a little young, but gave Zach the green light because it was such a cool calling sequence and experience. Turned out the old skinny buck was just past his prime. Scarred up face, torn ear, worn teeth, broken antlers. He came in looking for another fight. It was pretty cool.

Founded in 2012, Reel Game Calls manufactures ultra-premium elk, deer, turkey, and predator calls. Shop the most innovative calls on the market at our store.

Comment

We use those cow calls all the time when we're just sneaking. If we get busted by whitetail or axis, as long as they aren't smelling us, we can blow the axis doe call (cow call) and about half the time the deer will calm down. If they don't get a clear look at you and don't smell you, it really helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X