Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leupold question

MARK 5HD 7-35X56 M5C3 FFP PR2-MIL
    I can’t seem to find this scope with the illuminated reticle. Does anyone know if they make it illuminated? Do I even need it illuminated? I have another illuminated scope with less magnification and in low light when I turned the illumination to the lower settings, it still seemed to wash out the animal a bit. The scope would go on my go to hunting rig and will be used for target practice out to 1300 yards. The closest feeder is 188 yards and I prefer not to shoot anything closer than 300 yards, most hunting shots will be 450-800 yards. For you guys that have a similar set up, give me some feedback.

You want the Firedot reticle. Just a tiny dot lights up, and you can adjust the brightness. I hate when the whole reticle is illuminated because you can’t see what all you need to see. But that lighted Dot is awesome. If the scope you want doesn’t have it, you might contact Leupold and see if they will add it. Their custom shop has been good to work with in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
      You want the Firedot reticle. Just a tiny dot lights up, and you can adjust the brightness. I hate when the whole reticle is illuminated because you can’t see what all you need to see. But that lighted Dot is awesome. If the scope you want doesn’t have it, you might contact Leupold and see if they will add it. Their custom shop has been good to work with in my experience.
      Their tactical line is different.

OP, why the 7-35 over the 5-25? I have a few Mk5 optics. Most are the 5-25. I have a PR1 mil illuminated. I never use the illumination. 7x base power is a LOT.
      I’m fairly certain I’ve seen what you seek illuminated. Check with CS Tactical. Call him. They’ll treat you right.

Comment

I've always had Illuminated scopes but for big game I've never actually needed them that I can recall.

I agree with chance that most wash out your view with too much light. The fire dot is a good option to battle this.

I also agree with Matt. I've shot to 900 and game to 640 with 4-24s and and once running an 8-32 never feeling under scoped. Good glass and a quality cross hair will make up for it.

I actually used 16x on a muley last year at 600 due to poor glass quality and low visibility as it was starting to snow.

Both of my long range big game rifles wear 5-25 Mk 5s non-illuminated. At 25x they have a sharp clear image and a generous eye box.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
          Custom Shop is no more. Closed the doors in 2020 and every leupold rep I talk to says it more than likely is never coming back. Its a bummer because that I too loved the custom shop and custom ordered just about all my scopes.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
            Their tactical line is different.

OP, why the 7-35 over the 5-25? I have a few Mk5 optics. Most are the 5-25. I have a PR1 mil illuminated. I never use the illumination. 7x base power is a LOT.
            I’m fairly certain I’ve seen what you seek illuminated. Check with CS Tactical. Call him. They’ll treat you right.
            I have used a Mark 4 8.5-25 for several years and feel like I would benefit from the 35x. One lazy benefit is that I could see impact a lot farther out and wouldn’t have to drive to go see targets. I have t had the opportunity to look through a Mark 5 HD. The 8.5 minimum never bothered me.

Comment

Originally posted by BonesandArrow View Post
              I have used a Mark 4 8.5-25 for several years and feel like I would benefit from the 35x. One lazy benefit is that I could see impact a lot farther out and wouldn’t have to drive to go see targets. I have t had the opportunity to look through a Mark 5 HD. The 8.5 minimum never bothered me.
              There’s no comparison in the mk4 and mk5. Mk5 is superior in every single way. You’ll be very pleased.

Comment

Additional question. I bought the MARK 5HD 7-35X56 M5C3 FFP PR2-MIL.
                For now it’s going on on a Ruger Precision Rifle 6.5 creedmoor which has a 20MOA rail. What is the max or recommended amount of MOA/MILS I should add to the scope mount to get the most distance out of this combination? I’m thinking 6 MILS??

Comment

Working...
                X