No announcement yet.

2023 crappie thread!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you sir,I have kin around grenada lake in mississipi,headed that way nxt month

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
      Crappie Cakes

Bring water and two tablespoons of old bay seasoning to a boil

Boil 1 to 1.5 lbs of crappie meat for 3 minutes (refrigerate for at least an hour if possible). Crappie should be white and falling apart.

1 egg yolk

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard

2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon mayonnaise

1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley optional

1/2 Cup Chopped Green onion

1/2 Cup panko Bread Crumbs

Preheat the broiler.

In a large bowl, combine the egg yolk, salt, pepper, mustard, Worcestershire, green onion, mayonnaise, and parsley. Then, gently fold in meat (be careful not to break up the lumps, here you will be adding in the CHILLED crappie). Sprinkle on bread crumbs and lightly mix. Shape into cakes and broil for 5 minutes (or air fry). Or sautee in pan with butter or olive oil. Sometimes make them silver dollar sized for apps. Feeds 3 to 5 adults.

ONCE YOU TRY THIS A FEW TIMES, IT'S EASIER TO MAKE. BOILING THE FISH THE DAY BEFORE CUTS THE WORK IN HALF. ADJUST THE INGRIDENTS TO YOUR TASTE. ADD OR OMIT ANYTHING YOU LIKE.
      You need to copy this into the recipe forum for future reference. Sounds amazing!

The fish are biting and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by Edward F View Post
        Can you elaborate on the amount of daylight?
        As the days get longer the fish know its time to do their thing and they head that direction. In my area they usually spawn in waves from March through May often tied to the full moon. That said I'm the wrong person to be chiming in about spawning crappie! I hate fishing the spawn!

Comment

Originally posted by tminc View Post
          Thank you sir,I have kin around grenada lake in mississipi,headed that way nxt month

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
          Looks like its only 20.5' low! That's not bad for this time of year! Your hitting it right, get there before the tourney guy get em all stirred up in March!

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
            As the days get longer the fish know its time to do their thing and they head that direction. In my area they usually spawn in waves from March through May often tied to the full moon. That said I'm the wrong person to be chiming in about spawning crappie! I hate fishing the spawn!
            Thanks for the insight!! Is it better to fish during a full moon then?

I love the spawn, I don’t own a boat!

Comment

It’s best to fish whoever you can!!

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
                It’s best to fish whoever you can!!

I agree, fish WHENEVER you can. I haven't been fishing since before Thanksgiving last year. Then both my boys and I got the Flu. I just had a mild relapse, I assume the prescription didn't knock mine completely out. Hopefully the steroid the doc gave me will. I feel good enough that I hope to give it a try tomorrow or Sunday. Hopefully the wind will cooperate.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                  Crappie Cakes

Bring water and two tablespoons of old bay seasoning to a boil

Boil 1 to 1.5 lbs of crappie meat for 3 minutes (refrigerate for at least an hour if possible). Crappie should be white and falling apart.

1 egg yolk

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard

2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon mayonnaise

1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley optional

1/2 Cup Chopped Green onion

1/2 Cup panko Bread Crumbs

Preheat the broiler.

In a large bowl, combine the egg yolk, salt, pepper, mustard, Worcestershire, green onion, mayonnaise, and parsley. Then, gently fold in meat (be careful not to break up the lumps, here you will be adding in the CHILLED crappie). Sprinkle on bread crumbs and lightly mix. Shape into cakes and broil for 5 minutes (or air fry). Or sautee in pan with butter or olive oil. Sometimes make them silver dollar sized for apps. Feeds 3 to 5 adults.

ONCE YOU TRY THIS A FEW TIMES, IT'S EASIER TO MAKE. BOILING THE FISH THE DAY BEFORE CUTS THE WORK IN HALF. ADJUST THE INGRIDENTS TO YOUR TASTE. ADD OR OMIT ANYTHING YOU LIKE.
                  Thanks

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I own a boat, and I still love fishing the spawn . Turn of the electronics and get to chunkin

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                      I was thinking about this today. Last year I went with RiverRat1 on the Colorado in March I believe but he said February is typically great. I guess I better get the poles ready
                      I have my boat here just waiting... But river is too low. Would have to launch 10 miles down on the Lake and drive up.

But you may be the only boat on the water!

Comment

I made the move over to our new house on Sandlin. We have been beating them up in 50 foot of water.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	321944215_570459605091867_7881137072816957696_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	24704227

Click image for larger version

Name:	323177854_874791873749851_5491759660549680028_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	24704228

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                          I made the move over to our new house on Sandlin. We have been beating them up in 50 foot of water.

[ATTACH]1115969[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1115970[/ATTACH]
                          Indeed you have. Nice!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice work Buff!

I'm still try-n ti figure out where the hole is for the corn to go into the livescope. I'ma guess-n it goes through the cable. And is dispensed through the transducy thing under the boat? And this is what makes the crappie come? SMH!

Comment

Anyone care to help a fly fisher out with Crappie and bass around central Texas? I have a canoe, and a lot of experience catching everything BUT crappie and white bass. If I want to hit a creek and put some fish on a stringer do I need to wait for some warmer weather? More water in the creeks? I'm assuming they're like lake/sea run trout, that move once the spawn is close, or when the water comes up?

And if it's pre spawn, what habitat should I target? Got a rule of thumb on minimum water depth? Focus on brush? None of the above?

Comment

Don't fish the lakes as i don't have a boat. But my crappie at the farm are going to be better this year than any other. We have 4 lakes that I have stocked with Black Crappie 5 years ago. 3 times a year I put 20 pounds of minnows in each pond along with some small bluegill. a couple weeks ago I went out and jigged some form the bank and caught 10 in 15 minutes. they were right at or over a pound. My biggest one is 2 pounds and I caught several just under. Its been fun trying to keep the numbers up while letting them grow.

Comment

Working...
                                X