Regulated herbicides and spray permits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a reminder and for those who don't know, in the state of Texas, all regulated herbicides are subject to spray permits.

So, you must have an applicators license to buy these and supervise their application and Regulated Herbicides:
    • 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid (2,4-D); including acid, amine, choline, ester and salt formulations;
    • 2-methyl-4-chlorophenoxyacetic acid (MCPA);
    • 3,6-dichloro-o-anisic acid (dicamba); including dimethylamine salt (DMA), sodium salt, diglycoamine salt (DGA), isopropylamine salts (IPA), N, N-Bis-(3-aminopropyl) methylamine (BAPMA), and potassium salt; and
    • 3,7-dichloro-8-quinolinecarboxylic acid (quinclorac).

I live in Milam County, and from April 1 - August 31 I need a permit to spray 2, 4- D but all ester formulations are prohibited.
    1. The use of all ester formulations of regulated herbicides will be prohibited between the dates of April 1 and August 31 of each year.
    2. A permit will be required for the application of the other formulations of regulated herbicides between the dates of April 1 and August 31 of each year.
    3. A permit will not be required for the application of the regulated herbicides between the dates of September 1 to March 31 of the following year.

I forgot getting the permit and I wanted to spray but I looked through my spray records to see when I last used it and how much I used. I was suddenly reminded that I needed that permit!

So this morning, I completed my permit application, scanned it, emailed it to TDA at 8 am. By 8:30 I had my permit! Sweet!

What momma don't know won't hurt her.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
      As a reminder and for those who don't know, in the state of Texas, all regulated herbicides are subject to spray permits.

So, you must have an applicators license to buy these and supervise their application and Regulated Herbicides:
      • 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid (2,4-D); including acid, amine, choline, ester and salt formulations;
      • 2-methyl-4-chlorophenoxyacetic acid (MCPA);
      • 3,6-dichloro-o-anisic acid (dicamba); including dimethylamine salt (DMA), sodium salt, diglycoamine salt (DGA), isopropylamine salts (IPA), N, N-Bis-(3-aminopropyl) methylamine (BAPMA), and potassium salt; and
      • 3,7-dichloro-8-quinolinecarboxylic acid (quinclorac).

I live in Milam County, and from April 1 - August 31 I need a permit to spray 2, 4- D but all ester formulations are prohibited.
      1. The use of all ester formulations of regulated herbicides will be prohibited between the dates of April 1 and August 31 of each year.
      2. A permit will be required for the application of the other formulations of regulated herbicides between the dates of April 1 and August 31 of each year.
      3. A permit will not be required for the application of the regulated herbicides between the dates of September 1 to March 31 of the following year.

I forgot getting the permit and I wanted to spray but I looked through my spray records to see when I last used it and how much I used. I was suddenly reminded that I needed that permit!

So this morning, I completed my permit application, scanned it, emailed it to TDA at 8 am. By 8:30 I had my permit! Sweet!

You can buy that same 24d in quarts(as many as you want) without a license... Only difference is the $$$

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
        You can buy that same 24d in quarts(as many as you want) without a license... Only difference is the $$$
        Yea but if you get caught spraying it around cotton, during a time when they say you cant, and you're unlicensed with no permit, they'll own your land.

Comment

Originally posted by Calrob View Post
          Yea but if you get caught spraying it around cotton, during a time when they say you cant, and you're unlicensed with no permit, they'll own your land.
          Truth. The farmer next door will own my land while I sit in prison.

Plus, the stuff you buy by the quart without a license is diluted for home use - not pastures.

Comment

That's true licensed, permit, or not.

Comment

Getting private applicators license for own property is a piece of cake.

Comment

Switch to PastureGuard or Chaparral. No 2-4,D and not regulated. The restricted counties are useless. As stated above, it doesn't matter when or how you damage your neighbors property, you're still liable.

Comment

I guess my point was missed - it only took 30 minutes to get my permit. And, this was also a friendly reminder to get your permit.

As far as substituting - 2,4D was the cheapest option. I've already spent over my budget for herbicides this year. Pasture Guard or Chaparral cost 2-3 times as much per acre to treat broadleaf weeds.

Comment

I need to get my license as it would be much easier getting certain chemicals in needed amounts.
                    Last edited by BrianL; 05-30-2023, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Educate the uneducated, does that include weed/grass killer such as Roundup?

Comment

I guess my point was missed - it only took 30 minutes to get my permit. And, this was also a friendly reminder to get your permit.

As far as substituting - 2,4D was the cheapest option. I've already spent over my budget for herbicides this year. Pasture Guard or Chaparral cost 2-3 times as much per acre to treat broadleaf weeds.

What did you have to do to get your permit ? In thinking I need to get mine .
                        Last edited by Strummer; 05-30-2023, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the reminder!

Comment

They may get you in court and sue for damages, but they can’t take your land.

Comment

Originally posted by J-5 View Post
                              They may get you in court and sue for damages, but they can’t take your land.
                              And they have to prove it........state sprayed, killed friends garden denied it was them.......24D can drift a long ways.......wasn't me.......

Comment

Working...
                              X