Payroll Taxes go up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Payroll Taxes go up?

Received my first salary check for 2020 and it was $200 less than any check I received last year. That is with a good raise at the end of this year. If they went up I can say goodbye to the raise and the additional $400 per month ($4800 year) that I brought in last year.

Tried to look up the answer and all I could find was Social Security increase.

In a different tax bracket as far as withholding goes ? Had it happen to me twice many years ago, got a raise, got less money. It sucks, but.......

Comment

I just got paid yesterday so I went and looked and mine check is $6.00 more this time.

Comment

I do payroll for a couple of small businesses and I have not heard of a social security increase. I still deduct 6.2% for SS and 1.45% for Medicare.
        Check out the electronic or hard copy check stub to see deductions or contact your HR department. Good luck.

Comment

they probably raised it to fund my SS checks. I just wanted to say thanks, I really do appreciate it

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
            I do payroll for a couple of small businesses and I have not heard of a social security increase. I still deduct 6.2% for SS and 1.45% for Medicare.
            Check out the electronic or hard copy check stub to see deductions or contact your HR department. Good luck.
            Called the assistant yesterday and she is questioning it as well. We use QuickBooks Intuit. I plugged everything in on the calculator, checked married, and federal allowances. Came up with what she said. We plugged in last years salary and it was even lower.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
              Called the assistant yesterday and she is questioning it as well. We use QuickBooks Intuit. I plugged everything in on the calculator, checked married, and federal allowances. Came up with what she said. We plugged in last years salary and it was even lower.
              Stop asking questions. They (employer) may ask you to write them a check. Seriously, hope you get it squared away and take home more.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                Received my first salary check for 2020 and it was $200 less than any check I received last year. That is with a good raise at the end of this year. If they went up I can say goodbye to the raise and the additional $400 per month ($4800 year) that I brought in last year.

Tried to look up the answer and all I could find was Social Security increase.
                My first couple of paychecks are always lower due to SS. Once you max that out then they go back up. Could that potentially be it?

Comment

Originally posted by Alta View Post
                  My first couple of paychecks are always lower due to SS. Once you max that out then they go back up. Could that potentially be it?
                  Wasn’t the case last year. My checks were the same amount every 2 wks on the penny from January-December.

Comment

My guess is you jumped tax brackets.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                      That shouldn’t cause his income to be lower though. If he went up a tax bracket only the portion in the higher tax bracket would be taxed at the higher rate not his entire income.

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
                        Stop asking questions. They (employer) may ask you to write them a check. Seriously, hope you get it squared away and take home more.
                        This happened to a co worker. They forgot to take his share of his health insurance, for him plus a wife and three kids, for over a year. Needless to say, he was ****** when he actually had to pay it.

OP, it should be super easy to look at your pay stub and see what went up. Another possiblity is you maxxed your 401k last year. Also, look at the new tax brackets that came out.

https://www.bankrate.com/finance/tax...-brackets.aspx

Comment

Most cases like this are due to capping out the SS portion earlier in the year and getting a "bump" for the remainder of the year. Then when the new year comes around and the full SS amount comes out, it looks like you took a cut in pay.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                            Im in the same 22% Bracket

Comment

Check your pre tax and post tax deductions.

Health care, 401k/Roth etc

Comment

Working...
                              X