Rifle / Caliber for 13 year old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rifle / Caliber for 13 year old?

Well my son turns 13 in Feb and my Dad wants to buy him a nice rifle. He has always shot a Savage Youth .243 and he is out growing it plus I have a 11 year old and a 9 year old that use it. This will be “his” rifle and won’t have to share with little brothers. It will be used to harvest WT, hogs, and the occasional Exotic (Axis, BB, Rams). So what says the greens screen? He’s a pretty stout kid 5’3” 118lbs.

25-06, 308, 7mm?

Lastly my Dad is pretty much made his mind up that he’s buying him a Browning so any certain model that anyone has good experiences with?

Thanks in advance and Merry CHRISTmas too all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Either Ruger American or Weatherby Vanguard 7mm08. At least that’s what I plan on buying my will be 9 year old this time next year

Comment

7mm-08 is a good fit as well. My son has been shooting one since 9 and it is a good choice. Started him off for first 6 mos. with reduced recoil and then moved up to fully leaded.

Comment

If it’s going to be a Browning, get the xbolt in 7mm-08. It will last him a lifetime.

Comment

Got my 10 year old a youth model Ruger American in a 243 with Vortex 3x9 and its a tack driver. Great shooting gun.

Comment

Do not overlook the .260 Remington. Does everything the rest of them do with less felt recoil and muzzle blast. It’s just about perfect for a deer rifle. My boy was shooting his at 10 years old, a Model 7 Remington.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald G View Post
              If it’s going to be a Browning, get the xbolt in 7mm-08. It will last him a lifetime.
              Great rifle and great caliber. I got a 7mm-08 for my 13th birthday and it's killed more deer than CWD.

Comment

7-08

Comment

7mm08

Comment

He'll do good with a Browning. I have several and they are great guns.

My folks were in the same boat many years ago and ended up getting me an ABolt 280. Gun has been amazing.

If it was me, I would say an XBolt in something just a tad bigger. 270, 280. I've used my first gun on several mule deer hunts. If more mid range is desired, I would go 25.06

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Gerald G View Post
                      Great advice and what I’d do if in your shoes

Comment

Originally posted by HCGedge3 View Post
                        Well my son turns 13 in Feb and my Dad wants to buy him a nice rifle. He has always shot a Savage Youth .243 and he is out growing it plus I have a 11 year old and a 9 year old that use it. This will be “his” rifle and won’t have to share with little brothers. It will be used to harvest WT, hogs, and the occasional Exotic (Axis, BB, Rams). So what says the greens screen? He’s a pretty stout kid 5’3” 118lbs.

25-06, 308, 7mm?

Lastly my Dad is pretty much made his mind up that he’s buying him a Browning so any certain model that anyone has good experiences with?

Thanks in advance and Merry CHRISTmas too all!

7mm-08 is a great rifle for that age group. Unlike a 243, if you get into the shoulder, a 7mm08 will destroy the shoulder. Lot of different bullet weights. Very accurate. Low recoil. Larger cals like 3006, 270, 7mm Mag are gonna have to much recoil, creating another problem.
                        Last edited by lovemylegacy; 12-22-2019, 03:59 PM.

Comment

243 7-08 6.5cm

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5CM View Post
                            243 7-08 6.5cm
                            Yeah, I hear the 6.5 Creedmore is a good cal....basically zero recoil, or so Im told

Comment

7mm 08,,,, it is about an ideal cartridge as will ever be made,,, light on recoil, long on range and heavy on kill...

it is a lot more gun that a 243 but is still mild on the shoulder,,, it offers great speed with a good weight range of bullets... long range abilities, short action and lighter weight

he might at some point in his life want bigger gun, but is highly unlikely to ever need more gun

Comment

Working...
                              X