.280ai Barrel Length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.280ai Barrel Length

I know there are quite a few people on here that are shooting this caliber. Of those folks who is shooting suppressed and what length barrel? I currently have a rifle with a 27” barrel but I just got my can back and it went from already long to pain in the neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bingo, you have just now learned the one big downside of running a suppressor.
    They take up quite a bit of real state. It's a trade off with handiness, quietness and performance. I do not run cans on barrels longer than 26" for hunting purposes just on account they are unwieldly. At the range shooting targets its not a big deal.

Comment

I have a 280ai that I recently had built at APR. When discussing barrel length I preferred they recommended a 24" barrel for the minimum. They said if I went any shorter I might as well just get a 7mm-08.

Comment

Originally posted by JTCowpoke View Post
        I have a 280ai that I recently had built at APR. When discussing barrel length I preferred they recommended a 24" barrel for the minimum. They said if I went any shorter I might as well just get a 7mm-08.
        I agree, anything shorter than 24" and you lose so much velocity that you might as well be running a 7mm-08. But how cool would it be to run a 7mm-08 ackley improved using formed 308 palma brass with the smaller primer pockets?

Comment

Originally posted by AJACKS View Post
          I agree, anything shorter than 24" and you lose so much velocity that you might as well be running a 7mm-08. But how cool would it be to run a 7mm-08 ackley improved using formed 308 palma brass with the smaller primer pockets?
          I just got my 7mm-08AI built by WTO, I have the Lapua Palma brass too.

Comment

26 inches is the way to go to get everything the AI was meant to do...been shooting one since 94. The sendero sized gun is about all I want to handle getting out windows.

24"bbl with a can is too long for me with a hunting rig & I wouldn't go shorter than that.

Comment

I went 25" with my APR 280 AI. I'm running 168s at 2850 without leaning on it at all. But had single digit SDs and probably 3/8" groups so i left it alone.

Comment

Could probably easily get close to 3000 fps but didn't even try

Comment

24in here.

Comment

25.5 Hart barrel. Seeing a touch over 3000fps with off the shelf Nosler TG 140’s. There’s more potential but don’t care to reload with limited time and shooting.

Comment

Im running a nomad suppressor on my 24" proof 1-9 twist 280ai and Im getting 2980fps with berger 168 vld's and no pressure signs....I even worked up a little over 3000 but the accuracy node mine liked is at 2980

Comment

My custom 280AI is at 26”...I feel for it’s intended use and to get the “most” out of the round 26” was the proper choice.

jrg

Comment

Did y'all go with the standard reamer or the SAAMI reamer when you had them built? And are you happy with what you chose?

Comment

Originally posted by TXCreed90 View Post
                            Did y'all go with the standard reamer or the SAAMI reamer when you had them built? And are you happy with what you chose?

I went with the standard reamer and I’m very happy with the results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mines a 22” A-bolt I had reamed from 280 Rem to 280 AI. My smith used the standard reamer. No idea on speeds as I don’t own a chrono. All I know is it’s a 1/2 MOA shooter with a HEAVY dose of IMR 4350 behind a 140 gr Game King. Whitetails hate it.

Comment

Working...
                              X