No announcement yet.

Who makes their own bacon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my first attempt out of the fridge yesterday and on to the smoker for breakfast this morning.
    Very good...

Comment

K.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

Comment

Why pork butt instead of belly?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          Why pork butt instead of belly?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
          I believe it's called buckboard bacon when made with a butt.
          From what I gather it taste the same when cured the same but has less fat and more meat. Apparently this is preferred by some folks

Comment

Looks so good!

Comment

I just started doing my own bacon and I don't know why I didn't do this sooner. Kicks the **** out of the store bought stuff and it is so easy to do.

Comment

I have been doing my own for years. Just got finished salting two boxes of pork bellies (6 bellies). Will let them cure for a week then in the smoker they will go. The main thing to remember is if you use a salt cure of any kind MAKE sure you wash them good! It doesn’t take much of that salt left on them to ruin them.

Comment

Finished my first last week and went and bought another 5.5 lb belly and got it going

Comment

Originally posted by buckfan50 View Post
                    This was our first attempt last week. Sat 11 days in the fridge with the cure/seasoning and smoked with pecan to 150F IT. Very happy with the flavor!
                    Looks great ,taste great ,what more could you ask for?

Comment

These pictures make me hungry

Comment

Just started curing 2 more butts cut into 4 total slabs of buckboard bacon. Trying a new recipe this time, went a little fancier. This one has cure, kosher salt, brown sugar, black pepper, garlic, thyme, and crushed juniper berries.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post
                          Just started curing 2 more butts cut into 4 total slabs of buckboard bacon. Trying a new recipe this time, went a little fancier. This one has cure, kosher salt, brown sugar, black pepper, garlic, thyme, and crushed juniper berries.
                          Sounds good.....in for the results.
                          I'm pulling a slab out of the fridge Saturday morning and smoking it.
                          I plan to do some of the buckboard next round

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                            Sounds good.....in for the results.
                            I'm pulling a slab out of the fridge Saturday morning and smoking it.
                            I plan to do some of the buckboard next round
                            The juniper berries were hard to find, ended up getting them at World Market. I crushed them by putting them in a ziploc bag and gently crushing them with a hammer. They have a very pleasant smell and flavor. Very much looking forward to seeing how this batch turns out.

Comment

looks good

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                              I make my own bacon . I use the pink cure . It’s only like a teaspoon per 5 lbs.

Comment

Yum

Comment

Working...
                                X