The Official 2020 TBH/APR Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OKFF610 View Post
    Who is doing a 6.5 PRC with a barrel shooter than 24” or who has one currently with a shorter barrel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried to do one in 20-22” last build. They talked me out of it since it was basically a 6.5 creed with the shorter barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
      I tried to do one in 20-22” last build. They talked me out of it since it was basically a 6.5 creed with the shorter barrel.

I think it might be a same as a long barrel creed. Cant see a few inches loosing all the extra velocity. Can’t find much info online about a short PRC, seems most run 24 and a few have 22’s.

Comment

I’ve read some stuff where the 2 inches don’t cost your that much and if you reload you can make up for it. I had APR build me a 6.5PRC with a 24” barrel for last years build and I sold it today. Going with the 2nd option on this build. That stock just doesn’t fit me and the way I hunt. Too used to the more traditional style.

Comment

Originally posted by OKFF610 View Post
          I’ve read some stuff where the 2 inches don’t cost your that much and if you reload you can make up for it. I had APR build me a 6.5PRC with a 24” barrel for last years build and I sold it today. Going with the 2nd option on this build. That stock just doesn’t fit me and the way I hunt. Too used to the more traditional style.

Are you sticking with the PRC or are you changing it up this round?

Comment

I believe you're probably giving up 100 fps tops (probably less) by going 22" vs 24" in a PRC. No way does a Creedmoor get anywhere near it in the same length barrel.
            Last edited by Wayspr; 01-13-2020, 05:35 AM.

Comment

My APR 6.5 PRC is supposed to be ready Tuesday or Wednesday. I plan on shooting either 127 LRX or 130 gr Sierra GC or Nosler Accubonds. Went with a 24" barrel right now, since I currently do not have a suppressor. Will have the barrel cut to 22" and threaded for one of the new cans that Robert has been testing eventually. If using 120-130 gr bullets, I don't think the shorter barrel (Wouldn't go less than 20-21") will hurt velocity too much. 140-143's might be a different story though.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayspr View Post
                I believe you're probably giving up 100 fps tops (probably less) by going 22" vs 24" in a PRC. No way does a Creedmoor get anywhere near it in the same length barrel.

I’ve been reading forums for the last 2 days and it really comes down to what you are wanting to achieve. I’ve ready post after post of people that are still achieving 2900+ with factory ammo in a 22inch barrel. If you are wanting to achieve 3000+ you may have to load it hot but it’s not needed. Where a 22 inch barreled 22 creed will be between 2600 & 2700.

Comment

Originally posted by droptine8850 View Post
                  My APR 6.5 PRC is supposed to be ready Tuesday or Wednesday. I plan on shooting either 127 LRX or 130 gr Sierra GC or Nosler Accubonds. Went with a 24" barrel right now, since I currently do not have a suppressor. Will have the barrel cut to 22" and threaded for one of the new cans that Robert has been testing eventually. If using 120-130 gr bullets, I don't think the shorter barrel (Wouldn't go less than 20-21") will hurt velocity too much. 140-143's might be a different story though.
                  Are you going to Copper Creek for ammo?

I was going carbon build so cutting is not an option, but that makes decisions hard as not a lot of 22" data out there. Currently in the boat of either 22-24" 6.5PRC with 7-7.5 twist, or a 18" 7mm-08 shorty. Like the idea of a long range gun as that is what this #1 build is all about but length is a bi^&% after a can. Don't have a manbun so don't think the creed is in my future, and my 6.5x55 does the same.

Comment

Anybody know what number were up to yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post

Yeah...I'd like to know how much time I have to drag my feet thinking about this lol

Comment

I meant to ask Friday when i ordered what # i was but forgot to ask

Comment

Originally posted by Saltyag15 View Post
                          Yeah...I'd like to know how much time I have to drag my feet thinking about this lol

I’m gonna do it, was just curious what number were at so far.

I called Friday to put down my deposit. Had to leave a message though. Just waiting for them to call me back.

Comment

Yeah I had to call 5 or 6 times to get thru Friday. Robert said they were going to be short staffed Friday

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post

should be about 20-25% unless they had a insane Friday and Saturday

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                                This could be a long discussion with the technical numbers, but I'll try to make it short. SAAMI 300WM specs call for zero freebore. This is very misleading as the 300WM is one of a few cartridges that has a grossly oversized freebore diameter when compared to modern designs. Most designs call for .0005" over bullet diameter for clearance. The SAAMI 300WM has .0065" clearance!! What this means in the real world is that even with a "zero freebore"the intersection point of the ogive on the lands will be way out there given the 1.5 degree leade angle. This is why SAAMI chambers can run the 215s just fine.

I do have a reamer set up specifically for the 215s with much less clearance if somebody wants that option.

So if you were building a 300 win mag to shoot heavies (200 to 215) grain bullets like the Berger or maybe even the ELDX but still the flexibility to run other bullets if the situation called for it. How would you set it up? The regular reamer and a 1:9 or 1:10 twist barrel?

Comment

Working...
                                X