?Duck hunting in high wind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

?Duck hunting in high wind?

Looks to be very windy on Saturday, I know that’s not ideal deer hunting but is it good duck hunting ??

Or would you wait until Sunday when winds are half that speed?

which spot you talking about? the one close to home or behind the fence?

close to home might be tuff-behind the fence there is probably some good out of the wind spots which the ducks would probably love

Comment

Yep behind the fence...those tall rock shelves around north side of the lake provide good wind breaks but also have that 2 acre pond in the woods too

Comment

More wind the better imo for duck hunting. As long as your spot has the opportunity to have it at your back.
        20-30 is ideal imo

Comment

^lol no

Comment

If I didn’t hunt in 20-30 mph winds, I’d never get to hunt! Birds may fly lower to get below the winds. Look for sheltered areas with less wind. They may not all land in the protected area, but they will eventually stack up around those banks

Comment

The higher the wind the better for waterfowl hunting. Plenty of motion from the decoys and the birds will be low and looking for refuge.

Comment

behind the fence I would go for sure

Comment

So next question:

Would you hunt a 2 acre pond in the woods that cuts the wind?

Or

hunt a 50 acre lake that has high rock walls that cut the wind?

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
                    So next question:

Would you hunt a 2 acre pond in the woods that cuts the wind?

Or

hunt a 50 acre lake that has high rock walls that cut the wind?

The one with the most ducks on it tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
                      ^lol no
                      Then I guess we hunt different areas... I'm like Playa, out west with open country.. high winds= lower flying, committed birds.

To answer op 2nd question, hunt the one that holds birds. Wind usually isn't as bad as it will be "that day" early early am. When the wind does pick up, if you haven't limited by then. It'll just help to have motion in the deek and lower flying birds

Comment

Windy days are usually pretty good! I like them because it almost always means you’ll get your specks.

I don’t like a bunch of wind hunting in the woods, though.

Comment

Birds will come off the roosting area no matter what.
                          Some of my worse weather days were my best days duck hunting.
                          Cold front will bring down new birds also.
                          Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by basschump View Post
                            The one with the most ducks on it tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            This.

Set up where the ducks have been going. Only difference will be what direction they will land into the wind.

Comment

More wind, more better. Especially for geese. Keeps birds lower.

Comment

Working...
                              X