Wide Brady 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wide Brady 9

The stars aligned this past Sunday morning for me. I have been chasing a deer that has been somewhat of a ghost for the past 3 years.

Mitch and I first noticed this deer the year leased the property. He was a decent 10 with a kicker on his G2 that would show up at various feeders on the ranch and never stay long. We are hunting low fence country and do the best we can to pattern and keep deer on the property but this guy always did his own thing.

The second year on the property this guy blew up and was right at 150" based off one side of his sheds I found. That year I hunted him hard and he would often show up later in the mornings and then around noon. He was never very predictable. You basically had to put time in stand in order to have a chance at him. He was not a show up and kill him kind of deer. I finally had an encounter with him that year in mid November. He came out from a distance and I thought he was a deer we called Kansas because Kansas had a spike on one side and a great rack on the other side. When he got closer I realized it was not Kansas. When he got 5 yards in front of me I knew exactly who he was and my deer had broken off half of his rack! My heart sank and I actually began laughing because it was so ridiculous. If you knew the amount of time I spent obsessing about this deer and asking my close friends what to do, you would know what I am talking about. I even set up a big watering station for him to try and keep him in an area that had little water that he seemed to frequent. I fed and fed this deer but he just did what he wanted and I constantly tried to adjust and figure him out. He even returned at the end of the season that year and dropped his shed in front of the water trough I set up and then disappeared. I really never understood why he left. We put very little pressure on our deer and feed well.

The next year I told Mitch, I was going try to hunt him again. I searched for him all season but he never showed. I thought he probably died since we had seen him every year prior to that.

This year, I had plans to shoot a different deer but Mitch and I agreed to see what that deer would do at 7.5yrs old so I have been on the search for something to kill. I had pretty much stopped thinking about this deer assuming he was gone. Last weekend I hunted and didn't go to the spot where he had historically been because we were waiting for a deer Mitch has been hunting to show and I didn't want to put pressure on that stand. I pulled the card on the way home so I could give Mitch an update on what showed up there. Now mind you this deer has a history of showing up the first or second week in November for 2 of the years we have seen him. Well, when I looked at the card, low and behold he was there! He dropped to a 9pt but he got wider!

I went back last Saturday and pulled the card and prepped for the hunt. He had been then 3 out of the past 7 days and sometimes in the morning, sometimes in the afternoon, and sometimes in the evening. All I knew is I was going to wait it out the best I could because if I wasn't in the stand, I didn't stand a chance. There was no perfect time or way to do it. I was just going to have to put in the time on this deer. Saturday evening he was a no show but I got some good video on some younger studs we are watching. Sunday morning was my last shot this week because my schedule was full with work and family commitments. I got into the stand well, no deer blew and I was in there EARLY! The feeder went off and deer fed for over an hour
    but he was a no show. The feed was about to be cleaned up and I was watching does and this really nice 4.5 year old 9 that is impressive. I had my ozonics set up well and the deer were calm. I was kind of chalking this up as the end of the weekend and I looked out my left window and I see him with his nose in the air staring at the feed pen directly downwind from me. I think the ozonics saved my bacon because I have seen deer try to figure out what is going on but the ozone seems to calm them down enough that they come in and settle. Well he was now walking to the feed pen and was closing the distance at 30 yards. The freaking 4.5 9pt jumps out of the pen with his ears back and walks that deer out of the area! I was thinking to myself this is nuts watching this young deer run off this old mature deer. I believe my deer was at a point in age where he wasn't that interested in fighting. My heart sank as I watched it unfold. The 4.5 9pt came back to feed and I was thinking to myself it is going to be really hard to kill this deer if he is such a wuss and the rut is ramping up. A few minutes later he came back! The 4.5 9pt jumps out of the pen AGAIN and starts to run him off. They disappeared behind my blind and the big deer came out and there was no sign of the 4.5 9pt. I new my time was limited if that 4.5 9pt was still in the area. I turned on the camera and hit record and got ready, knowing I was going to take the first good shot I had on this deer. This had been a looooooong game of cat and mouse and I wanted to end it now. As soon as he came around the cotton seed, I drew and let him have it. He tried to run but the rage trypan basically cut part of his leg in half. He ran straight into the gate and busted the thing (that was wired shut) open. He tried to make it back to the other side of the pen and jump out but with his leg and heart not working he was done. He dropped and let out his last breath. I was shaking in disbelief that this deer was dead in the pen right in front of me after a 3 year chase. Ironically Mitch had texted me "Well" exactly when the deer was jumping in the pen. It was like he knew something was going down. I was at the lease myself and manged to pull of some decent pics with my phone, Bluetooth remote, and a tripod.

I am just really excited and grateful that everything came together so perfectly in the end. I don't have a score on him yet but he is big enough for me and with the history I have on the deer, I really don't care about the score. The hunt was what mattered.

Thanks to all my friends that have put up with me obsessing about deer and trying to figure this one out!

Note, sorry for the duplicate pics. I couldn't seem to find a way to delete them.

Here is a short video of the shot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_pqv...ature=youtu.be
    Attached Files

Man, great buck!

Comment

Great buck! Big congrats

Comment

Awesome! Congratulations!

Comment

Beautiful buck, love that little kicker off his 3!

Comment

Awesome buck and story! Congrats!

Comment

Very nice buck!Congrats

Comment

Awesome buck!

Comment

Good job Bobby! Glad you finally got him.

Comment

Good gravy ! Big congrats !

Comment

Heck yeah very nice buck. Congrats

Comment

Congrats again Bobby! Helluva deer and shot! Congrats
                        Last edited by Smart; 11-11-2019, 08:57 PM.

Comment

He’s got it all! Congrats on a great buck.

Comment

so how wide is he ??

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X