Looking for some divorce/child support guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for some divorce/child support guidance

My daughter is split from her husband and is trying to get divorce/custody/child support stuff settled. When they split almost 2 years ago, he left the state and has not been living/working at anything stable since. They did AG mediation on child support over the phone, but he did not sign the "agreed to" papers so it moved to court proceedings. He has not been served and has not signed a waiver. The case just now had its second continuance due to this.

What would be the next steps my daughter could do to get this resolved?

I know what I would LIKE to do, but then I would be the one in court proceedings....

I know.. we should consult an attorney and she has one on retainer but mainly for the review of paperwork, etc. Trying to avoid a high cost resolution to this as the split has already cost us a good bit.

PMs accepted if you would rather...

Spend the money and Hire an attny.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
      Spend the money and Hire an attny.
      This and only this.

Anything else is likely to end up worse for everyone involved.

How much is not making an already horrible situation worse worth to you?

Comment

I’m just curious, as I don’t know how this all works, what do you/your daughter hope to get from him if he isn’t working and/or has no money?

Comment

Jail time^^

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
            I’m just curious, as I don’t know how this all works, what do you/your daughter hope to get from him if he isn’t working and/or has no money?

Cant get blood out of a turnip. If he is gone, and CS is keeping him gone. Maybe it is best that way. Kids dont have to grow up dealing with him. Maybe time to move on.

Comment

AG can do it but its a very slow process. Attorney is best route. Even if he can't pay now he may eventually have a good job and they will also intercept any tax returns. All the while unpaid child support is earning 6% interest. Once CS is set there is no outrunning it.

We've been through this.

Comment

What kind of child support is your daughter expecting from a guy without any kind of steady job?

Jail time is not going to do anything to help the situation, and unless your daughter is seeking full custody, an attorney will be a waste of money. Best thing you can do at this point is to offer him a waiver of child support in exchange for full custody of the child, so that your daughter and her child can move on with their lives.

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                Cant get blood out of a turnip. If he is gone, and CS is keeping him gone. Maybe it is best that way. Kids dont have to grow up dealing with him. Maybe time to move on.
                Agreed.

Comment

Tarrant county has issued felony warrant for my wifes ex and it has been sent to wyoming for arrest and extradition

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                    What kind of child support is your daughter expecting from a guy without any kind of steady job?

Jail time is not going to do anything to help the situation, and unless your daughter is seeking full custody, an attorney will be a waste of money. Best thing you can do at this point is to offer him a waiver of child support in exchange for full custody of the child, so that your daughter and her child can move on with their lives.

Agreed.
                    This..

Comment

Call Erin ezzell in Austin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Has the father of your grand kids been in contact with them in the last two years or has he completely checked out on everyone?

Comment

My wife's ex was way behind when we got together 30 years ago and never had any interaction with the boy that I raised. He was 7. Couple of weeks ago she received a letter from him in a state envelope asking her to forgive the debt. HELL NO! Probably been 25 years since she has gotten a dime.

Comment

Every situation is different, I have a step daughter that has been going thru something similar and a daughter going thru a child custody case. The best advice from a hunting forum is to hire a lawyer.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post

This...maybe I don't understand the full story, but sounds like getting the sperm donor completely out of your family's lives would be the path worth taking.

Comment

Working...
                              X