Cpap questions/help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cpap questions/help

Was wondering if any of you guys wear a cpap and could maybe lend some advise ? Was recently looking online at different masks, etc and found out you have to have a prescription for the machine. I'd like to just buy one and get the accessories online that I like without doing a sleep study or going to the doc. Any help is appreciated.

The sleep study will determine what pressure you need to set the cpap at. Without the study, you are shooting in the dark. Why not do the study?

Comment

Cpap questions/help

Agreed sleep study would be best to see where your at. But in my case my 1sr go round I don’t think they had my pressures right or maybe they changed. But I saw a new dr and he was able to put my machine in auto so it adjust to me if the pressure needs to be higher or lower. He did so without making me do another sleep study.
      Noticed your in austin. My dr is in Georgetown and I highly recommend them if you decide to do a study left me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought mine without a sleep study . Talked to doc and told him study was 1200 out of pocket for me and clap was 500. he wrote me an rx and then adjusted my machine once I bought it . You need an rx for the masks as well.

Comment

I was told there are machines that adjust to you. And really just dont have the time currently. But may have to go that route If theres no other way around it .

Comment

Oh and how big of a difference did yall notice after using one?

Comment

Originally posted by castlegaphunter View Post
              Oh and how big of a difference did yall notice after using one?
              Life changing! I have never slept so good, took about a week to get used to the mask.

Comment

Cpap.com is where I buy all of my accessories. I’m sure u can buy a used machine on eBay and the YouTube the instructions for how to adjust the pressure.
                I would however recommend the sleep study just so you know where the pressure should start, adjust accordingly as you gain or lose weight.

Comment

Originally posted by alec73065 View Post
                  Life changing! I have never slept so good, took about a week to get used to the mask.
                  This...

Comment

Cpap questions/help

Without the right pressure they are useless. It’s like installing new strings on a bow and trying to shoot it without tuning it. Yes it will work somewhat but it won’t be right or healthy. Too much pressure can be just as unhealthy as not enough.

This is your life you are talking about here... heck how do you know you even have apnea?

I can’t sleep or nap without mine. It was life changing. I felt 18 again after my first night at age 39. No more snoring, no more headaches, no more waking up gasping for air.
                    Last edited by Smart; 01-23-2019, 06:38 AM.

Comment

An automatic machine will adjust to your needs. The ideal pressure actually fluctuates during the night.

Sleep studies can be done at home now, BTW.

Comment

Automatic machine is the way to go, and yes it is life changing. I've used mine for almost 10 years and suffer badly when I can't use it.

Comment

[quote=JonW;13945868]An automatic machine will adjust to your needs. The ideal pressure actually fluctuates during the night.

Sleep studies can be done at home now, BTW.

My wife did hers at home.

Originally posted by Tmag View Post
                          Automatic machine is the way to go, and yes it is life changing. I've used mine for almost 10 years and suffer badly when I can't use it.
                          I've been using one for over 25 years, and only on my second machine. My first one sounded like a peanut thrasher

You can buy masks, hoses, and such online without a prescription, you just can't buy them assembled. Buy the parts, then five minutes of putting them together, and you're in business. Good luck !

Comment

Really suggest that you do a study. Cpaps only work for obstructive apnea, and there are other kinds.
                            My doc set my pressure for the worst possible conditions and it really aired me up at night. It took me all morning to deflate. I was finishing up a longbow at the time and named it "Broken Wind".
                            Reducing the pressure cured that.

Comment

I've been using mine about 20 years. During the sleep study I woke it 87 times in less than 8 hrs and was never going into deep sleep where your body recovers. I didn't know about the new adjusting machines so going to check into this. Once you get on the machine the Cpap group will call you trying to sell you parts. Makes all the difference in the world plus keeping you alive. Pretty good reason to wear one

Comment

Working...
                              X