Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think people in general have gotten soft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by friscopaint View Post
    I came home one day and told my step boy I got him a job at the feed store and he said he would work at McDonald's before he would do that.......
    How is he enjoying flippin' burgers?

Comment

yep, most people now days are generally soft. I believe there are just many more opportunities to be lazy or do nothing, technology has not helped this cause either.
      I still love to do hard work but at my age, it just takes longer to recover if I pull something or overheat in the summer.

Comment

Hell yes.

Gary

Comment

I'm thinking about buying an electric pizza cutter.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
            There are different levels of soft. Sure tech and other conveniences have made society of a whole softer than 100 or even 50 years ago but I have to believe there is a much larger population that has gone super soft than it should be. In the fire service I see it daily. 20 and 30 something adults coming to tears over a twisted ankle or broken finger or something as simple as a n upset stomach. They call for the ambulance for all sorts of stuff the average man would just drive himself to the ER.
            Then I run calls to old folks with broken hips and barely a whimper. One old man got hit buy a car. His leg snapped in half and pointing at his face and talking to him you wouldn't know anything was wrong with him.

Generally your correct but some folks are just big azz sissies
            Yeah I'm not even looking at it from the aspect of our jobs and daily lives, sure life has gotten "easier" with technology, I'm talking about the mental side of it.

We run summer camps during the summer for 20-25 5th and 6th graders per week. They get 45min or so of recess every day where we play kickball or dodgeball usually. You should see the attitudes and sportsmanship from these kids when they get in there and lose. I've literally seen boys cry and run behind the bleachers for getting out in kickball. We had the son of pretty well known radio guy a few years ago, the first morning he threw a fit and started crying because his team didn't win in dodgeball. I walked over and told my partner that I'm gonna make sure his team loses every single game we play all week, and I did. He could not deal with it. There is usually at least 1 every week that needs a point made to them lol

It tough, I have 2 boys of my own and they aren't as "tough" as I'd like them to be all the time, but like someone said above, I'm sure my dad said the same about me and his about him.

Comment

Without a doubt society as a whole as gotten “softer”, but to echo a few others, the world is a different place. Every generation has felt the new generation is soft, lazy, etc. I value manual labor like most anyone else, but i admire the men that have made a great living and found success regardless of whether it was through back breaking labor or in the office. I can say from experience, job sites are a lot easier, and more fun, than being in the office.

That being said, I don’t look at it, the softening, as a problem but as an opportunity. Less competition and more opportunities to stand out and shine.

Whether you’re in the field or in the office, one thing will always reign king; you have to keep up with the market. Maybe it means technology, maybe just pushing harder, but regardless, if you can’t keep up with the market and the times you’ll be left thinkin about the good ole’ days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by schmalzy View Post

That being said, I don’t look at it, the softening, as a problem but as an opportunity. Less competition and more opportunities to stand out and shine.

As a dad of two knuckleheads, I like this approach right here.

Comment

You asked a loaded question. First off, you failed to give us a number for pay. What does 'pays well' mean to you?? Because it obviously didn't pay 'well enough' for your fellow workers.

Are people 'soft' simply because they don't want to break their backs in hard labor working cattle/horses on a ranch? Or are they 'soft' because they don't like physical work, period?

I will go against the grain and say 'no', people are not more soft these days. They are simply a product of 21st century learning skills. The education system does not teach kids to work 'hard' by breaking their backs in physical labor- but to work 'hard' in getting an education so they don't have to do that chit. Your 'old school' views (like everyone else on this thread) mean diddly squat to this generation. I have seen young kids become instant millionaires just a few years out of college because they used their smarts- and not their backs, to find a new niche in the business world. I guess they must be 'soft' according to you, but guess what- they are also rich. Do you honestly think they give 2 craps about what some old Podunk rancher thinks of them?? LOL!!

So... I personally only think this generation is 'soft' when it comes to being offended by just about every thing they disagree with, and not because they don't want to work.
                  Last edited by Roy; 10-24-2019, 08:11 AM.

Comment

I'm a firm believer in the idea that the world in which an individual lives is a reflection upon how they chose to view it. If you're looking for the world to be soft, that's what you'll find. If you're looking for the hard workers, you'll also find them. The reality is that society has progressed to a point to where we no longer have to be the hardened macho men and women we once were. My job is primarily office based, and to people who haven't ever worked in an office, my job is a cake walk and I just sit around all day. The thing is I chose to get a bachelors degree and then a master's degree because I didn't want to sacrifice my body to make my money, and many others have done the same. Just because someone doesn't work labor jobs, that doesn't mean they're lazy or soft.

Society as a whole tends to romanticize the past. There's a reason why so many from previous generations pushed college and formal education so hard. They lived during the times and worked the jobs, and are now or have suffered the consequences of doing so. They wanted better for those who came after them.

Every single generation since the beginning of time has blamed the next generation for the downfall of mankind. It's easy to fall into the same trap. Look for the good in things. Look at the technological advances, the advances in healthcare, and communication to name a few.

Trigger warning:
                    I for one applaud soft people because they created compound bows, sights, cameras, and feeders to name a few.

Comment

Yep

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                        I feel like my mom’s main phrase with me growing up was “I brought you into this world and I’ll take you out of it”. My parents were my friends growing up, they were my parents and whooped me when needed.

I was also allowed to get in fights at school. If you opened your mouth you had to back it up back then, and I’m only 34
                        I just had this discussion with a few parents at a child’s birthday party this weekend. I always got in fights when I was younger growing up me and my brother were normally the minority white kids in school. I got in at least a fight a year from 5th to about 11th grade. My dad never got mad at me just picked me up and took me home and left back to work.

My son doesn’t have a mean bone in his body and I drives me nuts. I watched him let a kid repeatedly hit him with a dodge ball for 5 minutes. I called him over and told him to catch the next ball and hit the kid in the face as hard as he could. Next thing I know my wife is chewing his *** out in front of all the kids and he started to cry. The little **** starter was even laughing. After I jumped my wife’s *** I told my son I’ll never be mad for standing up for himself and to go have fun playing with the kids.

My whole point here is people no longer raise there kids to be men or women they rise them to be nice and don’t even giv them the chance to figure things out on there own.

Comment

air conditioning

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                            A major problem with our poor is obesity, that says a lot about how incredible this country is.
                            No, that says a lot about how messed up this country is. How does someone who is poor get so fat? Off of our backs that's how!!!!

Comment

I know this discussion is employment related, but how many grown men do you know that can't change a tire, build a fire, butcher animals, grow crops, etc? It's not about being so rich you can pay someone to do everything for you, but what if your life depended your knowledge of basic life skills. I just can't be that dependent on others.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                                My mom told me one time I was getting too big for my britches and I said no Mom you’re getting too big for your britches.

She tried to take me out of this world after that[emoji23]. That was only the start because I had to wait two weeks for the arse whoopin my dad put on me once he got home from offshore.

Anyone else had a delayed two week arsewhoopin?

LOL my dad was usually gone on deployment when I got smart with my mom... sometimes it was a 4 month delay on the whoppin which usually made them worse because it was compounded on all the crap I had done over the 6 months he was gone

Comment

Working...
                                X