No announcement yet.

Wisdom Teeth Extraction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They knocked me out, first day was fine, sleepy, but little to no pain. Next day I talked a lot and was to active. Face swelled up to a square (which is normal) had occasionally bleeding and ate mash potatoes and apple sauce for a week with a baby spoon and then the swelling started to go down. After day five I started to lightly chew and eat again and was fine by the 8-9th day. Swelling went away soon after. Moral of the story take it easy the first couple of days and you will save yourself from a prolonged experience.

Comment

I did the same type of procedure as you're looking to do. Worst experience of my life.... The internal noise of them breaking the roots and literally ripping them out was awful. The doctor had his knee up on the bed yanking and pulling to get them out. I remember choking and coughing on the blood during all of this. Other than just the pressure the pain wasn't to unbearable, just definitely had some. I had to get my gums stitched up and there was mild bleeding for a day or two after but the recovery was a piece of cake compared to the procedure. I used cotton balls and laid up for the remainder of the day. Next day I was up and going like normal. Rinse your mouth with room temperature water and don't eat anything that will gum up and fill the holes (mainly breads).

If I had to do it again I would ask to be put under in a heart beat.

Comment

I never had mine removed. I am 64 years old and never had an issue. The three dentists that I have used for the last 35 years never recommended removing them.

If no need....

Comment

I think it varies by individual. I had mine done 3 weeks ago. Oral surgeon said that once the numbing was gone that I could eat whatever I felt like and he recommended eating a bunch as long as I rinsed thoroughly afterward. He claimed it promoted healing. The 3 that he took out were all fully in place and exposed so there wasn't any cutting or anything necessary. The surgeon had me in and out in under 20min. I pulled my gauze out after about an hour, maybe 2, and never put any back in. Doc told to take 600mg each of tylenol and ibuprofen every 4-6hrs. While not extremely painful, I wasn't fully comfortable until early last week.

Comment

Dry socket is a mutha!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IOWA BOW HUNTER View Post
              They knocked me out, first day was fine, sleepy, but little to no pain. Next day I talked a lot and was to active. Face swelled up to a square (which is normal) had occasionally bleeding and ate mash potatoes and apple sauce for a week with a baby spoon and then the swelling started to go down. After day five I started to lightly chew and eat again and was fine by the 8-9th day. Swelling went away soon after. Moral of the story take it easy the first couple of days and you will save yourself from a prolonged experience.

I had mine pulled on Jan. 2nd of this year... 33 years old. My experience was almost exactly this way..

Your biggest pain days will be 3-5. Make really sure you follow the pain meds schedule EXACTLY. Don't get behind on that. another pro tip: Buy a pack of tube socks and jam ice packs into them, then tie them around your head tight to the jaw. It'll be a nice compressiion and you won't have to hold them yourself. I basically stayed iced for the first 2 days.

Comment

I had all 4 removed when I was 18, they put me under. I was never in any pain but I was bleeding like crazy for a few days. It was like a murder scene when I would spit, I actually ate popcorn and regular food that evening.

Comment

Originally posted by jlp04c View Post
                  I had mine pulled on Jan. 2nd of this year... 33 years old. My experience was almost exactly this way..

Your biggest pain days will be 3-5. Make really sure you follow the pain meds schedule EXACTLY. Don't get behind on that. another pro tip: Buy a pack of tube socks and jam ice packs into them, then tie them around your head tight to the jaw. It'll be a nice compressiion and you won't have to hold them yourself. I basically stayed iced for the first 2 days.
                  Oh and do it sedated.. at least partially sedated. Its a quick procedure, but I cant imagine doing it and being able to hear/feel them. They are big teeth, and they dont waste any time getting them out, if you catch my drift.

Comment

I had all 4 removed when I was in my 20's. Soft food for a few days but nothing terrible. None of mine were impacted though either so that is probably why I had no issues.

Comment

I had 2 of mine extracted like that on the same visit. The top one no issue other than the sound of it breaking out. The second one took 2 hours about 8 shots and ended up with the dentist in the chair with me with his knee in my chest yanking on it. The next day I thought my jaw was broken and two days later went to a oral surgeon and did x-rays. It ended up being badly infected and took about a month to heal. I kept the other two and if they ever have to come out I'm going to an oral surgeon so I can be knocked out. That was roughly 30 years ago.

Comment

Had two top wisdoms pulled at same time. Could eat very little real for for a 1 11/2 days. Then just don't eat anything that falls apart or could get stuck in socket. Will take a few weeks to completely heal over. Pain was pretty minimal, jaw was sore a couple days. Had the same procedure as you. Shot to numb the pain, a little laughing gas which didn't work.

The weird part is hearing the tools on the tooth and the sound of it coming out of the socket. You will feel a strong pressure on the tooth, doesn't hurt just weird feeling.

Comment

Had my 2 bottoms pulled when I was 18...still don't know why, I guess the dentist just need some extra Christmas money.

54 now and my upper right tooth started coming down about 20 years ago, and I swear it's never gonna be completely down. Don't think I even have one on the upper left.

Pro: I used to have a decent gap between my two front teeth, completely closed now.
                          Con: It has a inside corner about the size of one of my canine teeth and just as pointy... and I frequently bite the living hell out of my tongue when chewing gum.

Comment

Your mouth is one of those areas that heal fairly quickly. The local they give is good enough to block the pain during extraction and a bit thereafter. For me it really did not bother me much the next day. If you can keep you tongue out of the empty spots, it will heal faster. Salt water rinses aid in the healing process.
                            You will be fine. Not a big deal.

Comment

Got all of mine pulled at once. Mine went very well however I was in my late teens early 20's when I got it done.

Comment

I had all of mine done when I was 17. I was put under and woke up with minimal pain. I was sleepy the first day and slept most of the day.

Next day pain was minimal and I was OK taking Advil and Tylenol . I never took the hydrocodone they prescribed me as the pain wasn't severe at all.

I don't fully remember as i'm 35 now but i'd say i was back to 100% after a week give or take a day

Comment

Working...
                                X