Venison Barbacoa - Instant Pot Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Venison Barbacoa - Instant Pot Recipe

I've been eating the heck out of this since I discovered the recipe. It's simple to make, and makes a ton of food. A boned deer shoulder typically provides just the right amount of meat for this.

SEE MY VIDEO HERE

Here's the recipe:

Instant Pot Venison Barbacoa

2/3 cup Mexican beer
    4-5 cloves garlic
    2-3 chipotles in adobo sauce (or more, to taste)
    1 small white onion, peeled and roughly chopped
    1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles
    1/4 cup fresh lime juice
    2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1/4 tsp ground cloves
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    3-4 pounds venison, cut into 2-inch chunks
    3 bay leaves

Combine beer, garlic, chipotles, onion, green chiles, lime juice, vinegar, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and cloves in a blender or food processor. Purée for 30 seconds, or until completely smooth. Set aside.

Brown venison on high heat, about 1 minute on at least 2 sides, either in the Instant Pot or in a skillet with oil. Make sure to get a good sear.

Set Instant Pot on Manual for 60 minutes. When cooking is done, carefully release the pressure completely before opening.

Discard bay leaves, and transfer venison to a bowl. Shred with 2 forks, then mix some of the sauce from the pot into the meat. Toss well before serving.

thanks for sharing

Comment

Trying a similar recipe with a shoulder this weekend. Smoker first and then roasting pan with the drippings/marinade to braise the rest of the way. Stealing your marinade!

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
        Trying a similar recipe with a shoulder this weekend. Smoker first and then roasting pan with the drippings/marinade to braise the rest of the way. Stealing your marinade!

Thanks for sharing.
        Sounds amazing! Let me know how it turns out.

Comment

that reminds me. firing up smoker this weekend. I followed another recipe on here similar but somehow convinced me to smoke the shoulder. I also did it bone in. Only done this once and found the bone to big for the instant pot. Used a larger crock pot. Maybe this time I'll just cut the meat off the bone after smoked.

Comment

Sounds fantastic! Need to try this one ASAP! Thanks.

Comment

I've got a batch going right now. Smoked the leg for about 3.5 hours this morning. Using crock pot instead of the instant pot. I need a large instant pot.

Comment

Will cook 3-6 hours with lid on. Also doing brisket ribs and chicken on smoker. So this will be for later this week.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dfkoon View Post
                  Will cook 3-6 hours with lid on. Also doing brisket ribs and chicken on smoker. So this will be for later this week.

That looks fantastic!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Adding pic of finished product. Had some last night. Makes a lot. Still have some frozen.

Comment

Yeah, that'll do! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Yep. It's a good recipe of yours. I hope to never butcher the front leg of a deer again. This is so much better.

Comment

Looks delicious. Plan on giving it a try as well.

Comment

Looks amazing. I don't have an insta pot but I may try this sous vide.

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
                              Looks amazing. I don't have an insta pot but I may try this sous vide.
                              Post an update if you do! I don't have the sous vide equipment, but I'd be curious how this would turn out.

Comment

Working...
                              X