No announcement yet.

Ranch Cabin Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great job!! Looks amazing and you’re doing an awesome job of documenting your progress !

Comment

Love it! You could take a heck of a shot from that back porch. Maybe a small shooting bench with some of the leftover lumber... :-)

Comment

Congrats! I wish I had your talent and dedication.

Comment

Where are you staying while there during the construction?

Comment

wow!

Comment

Awesome start!! I’m definitely following along for inspiration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Robertt View Post
                Where are you staying while there during the construction?
                I have a 2004 5th wheel trailer that my family and I used all the time when my children we young. Since we stopped taking the trailer out on vacation I decided to just take it out there and leave it to stay in for the build. It is pretty large with 6 beds and is in really good shape. Right now it is placed about 40 yards from the build site, ran on solar power. Once the cabin build is complete I plan to keep it out there for overflow if needed. I plan to move it to a spot I found about 100 yards from the cabin that is secluded, so If my wife and I have guests that want to have privacy they can stay in that if they want.

Comment

Originally posted by wlee15 View Post
                  I have never thought of that but it makes perfect sense. I honestly wasn't looking at that I was just choosing the best looking side. And when I read you post I had no idea what you were talking about, but after looking at the ends of the boards in the pictures I can see the "cup"

Should I go though and flip them around, assuming I am gonna stain them and MOST of them will be under the covered porch?

Thanks for the input, will look at that for sure the next deck I build.
                  I would not worry about it too much, but over time the boards will bow/cup up. If just a few, you may go ahead and flip.The other way the grain gives the board more strength.

Comment

Looking good, your place is going to last a lifetime. Definitely digging the silo latrine. Best of luck I’m sure when it’s all said and done it’s gonna be amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
                      I would not worry about it too much, but over time the boards will bow/cup up. If just a few, you may go ahead and flip.The other way the grain gives the board more strength.
                      Good to know, you learn all kind of things on TBH.

wlee15- just curious did you consider going with Trex instead of wood?

My deck is buckling pretty good now that it is 10 years old but then again the construction was pretty bad at best.

Comment

I could fall off that porch!

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                          Good to know, you learn all kind of things on TBH.

wlee15- just curious did you consider going with Trex instead of wood?

My deck is buckling pretty good now that it is 10 years old but then again the construction was pretty bad at best.
                          Trex was an option but it was out of my budget right now. I am literally trying to keep the entire cost of the cabin build under 10K. At this point I think I will be about 2K over budget when its all said and done.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouch View Post
                            I could fall off that porch!
                            Eventually there will be railing around the entire porch so hopefully this will prevent anyone from falling off. I decided not to put on the side porch railing yet so they wont be in the way while we are putting on the roof and sides of the cabin. After the cabin is dried in I will add the railing along the sides. The front porch railing is in place though.

Comment

Last weekend Andy and I went back out to complete the framing...... and I can officially say we are done welding on the the structure!!! We will need to break out the welder again after we are dried in to finish the railing around the porches.

First we worked on the side framing on the cabin itself. We added 2 cross members angled at the roof line for the side wall to terminate to at that top then added vertical supports between the center of the cabin and the outer edge. One of the challenges we had is that on the non loft side of the cabin, the welder leads would not reach. We had the suspend the welder from the center beam high enough to reach.... PIC 1

We then added the roof supports over the front porch. PICS 2&3

We also cut 5/8" solid bar to form 3 horizontal rails centered to the front porch railing. PICS 4-6

We also cut down the deck boards to length and routered all the edges on the from of the porch.

Now all we have left is to do some grinding on the porch railing and Paint what we added, then install the Roof, side panels and Windows to get it all dried in.....

We plan to have a "raising the roof party" to entice some of my friends to come out and help with that portion of the build. This will be done the weekend of March 23rd. Pray for good weather and light winds!!!!!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wlee15 View Post
                                Trex was an option but it was out of my budget right now. I am literally trying to keep the entire cost of the cabin build under 10K. At this point I think I will be about 2K over budget when its all said and done.
                                Man that would be amazing to build a cabin like that for $12K !

Comment

Working...
                                X