Any special tips before I start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any special tips before I start?

I have feathers, glue and carbon shafts. Fixin ta get the Bitzenburger out of mothballs and refletch some shafts left helical. I need to know if there is a difference in stripping the old feathers from aluminum. Do I need to clean the shafts with acetone like aluminum? Been a while for me so chime in.

It's not that much different in my opinion. I clean mine with alcohol just for good measure. Some glues work better than others. I have been using the Loctite gel glue but everyone has their preferences. Just get after it.

Comment

Prolonged exposure to acetone can damage carbon, and arrow manufacturers advise against it. However I have been doing it for years with no problems - the key is not to leave it soaking it in acetone. I first rip the feathers off the best I can. I then pour acetone in a skinny glass bud vase I stole from my wife. I stick the arrow in the vase and swish it around for just a few seconds. If the shaft has a wrap on it you can then peel it off easily. If the remaining quill is glued directly to the shaft, the acetone softens it up enough to scrape off without damaging the carbon. I then just wipe it down which leaves a squeaky-clean surface for attaching new fletchings.

Comment

I have not fletched aluminum... just carbon. A few things that I learned along the way.

1) The Bitz lets you adjust for shaft diameter and how much helix you want, etc. Do a couple dry fits with a couple of different feathers to make sure you get good contact across the base of those 4 or 5" long feather bases.

2) I strip the feathers off of carbon with a pocket knife and scrape off the old glue. I have done this on aluminum in preparation for putting on spiral wrapped flu-flus (different type of fletching - no jig required.)

3) I clean all my shafts, new or re-used, as well as the quill base of the feather with alcohol.

4) put a dab of glue at the front and end of the feather when you are done fletching them

Comment

Sounds like I am ready. Can't wait to try my new Grizstix heads so I will get to work on them.

Comment

Working...
          X