Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minimum GPP for a Bear Grizzly, I can't find a 100% answer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minimum GPP for a Bear Grizzly, I can't find a 100% answer.

New bow on the way (yeah I know I've said that a lot lately but.... did you hear that I have an Grizzly on the way?? ) and I've done the work ups on the arrows I have built for small game and they come out at 7.9gpp and I don't want to "dry fire" the bow every time I shoot it with them. I've tried finding some Bear Archery folks to ask but to be honest the internet is littered with "experts". My deer/hog hunting shafts are going to be out near 12gpp and fully 20% FOC so no worries on those. The concern is the lighter ones.

The main reason I ask is that the CE1535's I have built dial in within .3 dynamic spine for both bow and arrow and I feel they will fly like darts. But bad darts for the bow are bad darts.

Thoughts?
    Richard.

Internet expert here.... 8gpp won't hurt a thing

Comment

As long as you get good flight 10gpp won't be bad. But you start weighting arrows it makes flight hard to achieve

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

You are making this too hard. Use the same arrow for both small game and big game. Just use a small game head that weighs the same as your broadhead.

Switching between arrows like that is just asking for frustration as they will hit in different places. And just cause they are small... doesn't mean you go light on your arrows.

Trust me, been there, done that...

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

In with SwampRabbit here. I know you are trying to do the math and make it perfect. Been there done that myself. I am a numbers person and try to calculate EVERYTHING> The beauty of traditional bows is I actually quit doing that. :-)
          Don't go switching between arrow weights, they will have a different flight and getting comfortable with one only has ill affects with the other. Definitely not an expert, but you may have to really learn the 12 GPP arrow. I have a 70's Grizzly that I REALLY like, and shoot just under 10 GPP. I did build up some arrows to almost 13 and man that was a HUGE difference. I stepped back down to the lighter arrow and let em rip.
          Go for consistency and try to use the same arrow and arrow weight. Just my 2 Cents.

Comment

You'll like that Grizzly. Great bow for the money. I went from a Sammick sage 45# to a Bear super kodiak 50# and it was a night and day difference. Those bears cast an arrow pretty darn well. You're gonna love it.

Comment

It just seems like overkill to use an arrow weighing in at just over 612g for rabbits and things. Does make sense to use the same arrows for both though so I don't have to relearn a different shaft for different game.

And yes I do tend to over think things. A lot.

Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
                It just seems like overkill to use an arrow weighing in at just over 612g for rabbits and things. Does make sense to use the same arrows for both though so I don't have to relearn a different shaft for different game.

Richard.
                When flinging arrows at game, it is better to over-kill than under-kill.

Small game heads are meant to bludgeon. They are not typicall sharp. They crush and "thump" them. Use too light of an arrow, then you literally can bounce one off them. Yeah, they will have a scar... but they bolt with little chance for recovery.

BTW, I know you have a 50# dw.. I am not talking 8gpp on a 70#, etc.

I have shot 400gr arrows with small game heads out of a 50# bow and was really disappointed with the results (there is a thread on here about it) A jump to 500gr+ made a huge difference in efficiency.

That jump came when I just started using the same arrow with a different style head.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post

Richard.
                  I like "overkill" and A LOT of it!!

Comment

i'll bet you anything you want, tha a 400 grain arrow will kill a deer just as fast as a 4000 grain arrow. I have a buddy who shoots a #43 bow with 370 grain arrow and has already killed 2 deer and a yote this year.. they didn't ask him GPI or GPP after having one put through the boiler room.

I am a 9gpp arrow guy. I love around a 450-490 grain arrow from my bows. Trajectory is much improved.

Comment

Working...
                    X