Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which of these single bevel heads would you try?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somebody around here alerted us to the fact that Alaska Bowhunting Supply is clearing out some of their broadheads. I have been wanting to try a single bevel head and they have two models in the 150 grain weight I shoot. These heads used to sell for $89 per three, now $39. Question - which of these would you go with? First one is called the Maasai, second one is the Samurai

Click image for larger version

Name:	maasai_group_500.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	25098055
    Click image for larger version

Name:	samurai_group_500.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	25098056

I actually ordered two 3 packs of the 150g Samurai to try out only to find that they are heavier than I needed. I bought them instead of the others based solely on appearance. I like the looks of one vs the other.

Richard.

Comment

Where are you buying these at?

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
        Where are you buying these at?

These are the ones on clearance

Comment

I don't think you would go wrong with either, but I would go with the Samurai just because i like the shape better.

Bisch

Comment

Thanks for the heads up...I am drooling over the Samurai 175's...may have to pull the trigger!

Comment

Either would work. Get one of each

Comment

Does it matter that they are all left beveled?

Comment

They need to be shot with left helical fletching

Comment

Not all of them are. The 150's I ordered are right bevel.

Richard.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                      Somebody around here alerted us to the fact that Alaska Bowhunting Supply is clearing out some of their broadheads. I have been wanting to try a single bevel head and they have two models in the 150 grain weight I shoot. These heads used to sell for $89 per three, now $39. Question - which of these would you go with? First one is called the Maasai, second one is the Samurai
                      I'd go with the one that you would be better at sharpening. The previous method I used to sharpen, the convex blades would be better. The way I sharpen now, the straight edge would be better.

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
                      I actually ordered two 3 packs of the 150g Samurai to try out only to find that they are heavier than I needed. I bought them instead of the others based solely on appearance. I like the looks of one vs the other.
                      Richard.
                      What weight up front did you end up with needing? Are you out of room to cut down your shaft by 1/4" - 1/2"?

Yes, you need to match the bevel to your fletchings. Left bevel to Left Wing, Right to Right.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                        What weight up front did you end up with needing? Are you out of room to cut down your shaft by 1/4" - 1/2"?
                        I've not started the actual tuning yet but in looking at all the spine calculators I'd have to go down to a 28.75" length to get the dynamic spines to match up and with a 29" draw that just isn't going to fly. I'm still waiting for our budget to stabilize (thank you government for taking three weeks to pay me) so that I can order the string I need from Daniel.

Who knows maybe the spine on the Journey will be different from the Sage enough that I can make it work but I'm not holding my breath.

Richard.

Comment

I bought a 3 pack of the Maasai 150's last week. Haven't had a chance to try them out yet but from the research I've done, they should prove quite effective. I'll be happy to share my experience with them once I've had a chance to shoot with 'em a bit. I also picked up a 3 pack of the Silver Flames 180. Can't wait to try them both.

Comment

For northern hemisphere hunting this is what you need. For southern hemisphere you would need "right" beveled heads.

Comment

They are great heads (Maasai 150), I love them. I have about 10 packs of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X