Barbacoa beef crockpot tacos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barbacoa beef crockpot tacos

Got some in the crockpot right now. Good, cool rainy day meal. Gonna make some homemade salsa to go with it too. I'll post that recipe later as well

RECIPE-

Serves 8-10

Ingredients:

- 3-4 lb Beef Chuck Roast

- 4 Chipotles in Adobo Sauce - Chopped

- 5 Cloves Garlic - Chopped

- 1 Tbsp. Ground Cumin

- 3 tsp Oregano

- 1/4 tsp Ground Cloves

- 1/2 Cup Beef Broth

- 1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar

- 1/4 Cup (fresh) Lime Juice

- 3 Bay Leaves

- 5-6 sprigs fresh Cilantro

- Salt to taste

- Pepper to taste

For Serving: (optional)

- Flour/Corn Tortillas

- Cheese

- Sour Cream

- Salsa

- Guacamole

- Rice

- Black Beans

Cut the Roast into approximately six to eight large chunks. Season well with salt and pepper on all sides. Heat oil in a large skillet and sear the beef chunks (in batches if necessary) on all sides until browned. Transfer seared meat to slow cooker.

In a medium bowl combine chopped chipotles, garlic, cumin, oregano, cloves, beef broth, vinegar, lime juice, and additional salt and pepper (to taste). Mix well, then pour over beef in the slow cooker and add bay leaves. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, until meat shreds easily.

Remove bay leaves. Remove and shred beef. Return beef to slow cooker to marinate at least 10 more minutes, or until ready to serve. Great on nachos, tacos, and burritos! Enjoy!

Looks good

Comment

I'm guessing the roast could be replaced with beef cheek meat for more authenticity?

Comment

Sounds great

Comment

Originally posted by SharpStix View Post
          I'm guessing the roast could be replaced with beef cheek meat for more authenticity?
          Yep..... I've also done it with axis roast and some pere David backstrap

I guess with the proper meat it isn't really barbacoa but ....... Call it what you will I guess

Comment

Looks great

Comment

Looks awesome. Gotta try this one soon.

Comment

Barbacoa is not chuck roast.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
                  I'm going to venture a guess and say Chuck roast is a little bit easier to find at the store. Also not thinking a cow head would fit in the crock pot too well. I am sure it is still good even if not "authentic". Might have to give this one a try soon.

Comment

ummmmmm yeah, I know. but the old Spanish lady that lives next door told me that the cowhead (the cheeks to be specific) is hard to find and messy to boot. She also said that it is the spices and the cooking that give it the barbacoa taste. So this is what she uses and believe me it tastes like barbacoa.

I guess if it makes you feel better, I can call it New England style beef seafood wraps, but you'll be disappointed because it will taste like barbacoa

Comment

Originally posted by Thwackdaddy View Post
                      ummmmmm yeah, I know. but the old Spanish lady that lives next door told me that the cowhead (the cheeks to be specific) is hard to find and messy to boot. She also said that it is the spices and the cooking that give it the barbacoa taste. So this is what she uses and believe me it tastes like barbacoa.

I guess if it makes you feel better, I can call it New England style beef seafood wraps, but you'll be disappointed because it will taste like barbacoa
                      as long as it is tasty, what does it matter what cut of meat you used... I grew up watching my grandfather and uncles make pit (hole in the ground) barbacoa and as I remember it's not just the head that was used... I remeber seeing almost a whole calf or two cut up and put in the pit for weddings. I will have to ask for the seasoning that was used but if I remeber correctly it was just salt... I will have to try this recipe...

Comment

I need to make me up another batch . Cheek meat is easy to get where I live .

Comment

try it with lamb shoulder or leg when you get a chance. absolutely fantastic.

Comment

Thanks captain obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Thwackdaddy View Post

Lmao!!!!!

I don't care what you call it..... That looks good man!

Comment

Working...
                              X