clover food plots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clover food plots

Past experiences with clover has been a learning curve. And to give up a little of my experience here (along with some questions). I started with scarlet clovers that came in the mix of some of the Name brand food plot mixes. And the over the years I have moved to some other clovers, like Duranna, and Louisiana 1 and Red Ace (thanks to Elgato) and i am now i am also doing scarlet food plots with chicory added in. Most of them planted in the fall but some were frost planted in Dec, Jan. or Feb. I learned that if I irrigated the white clovers I could keep them looking good through out most of the yr. not so much with the scarlet clovers. i learned about mowing clovers to increase the yield but some were not able to be mowed this yr because i planted on the back side of a dam on the pond and the grade was to steep to mow. So now i have the whole area of the dam (about 2 acres) that really looked great but the Texas heat turned it to brown stubble. So what to do here? Would you reseed or will it come back on its own? And i can't remember what fertilizer to add this yr to the clover's, Anyone remember haha I'm getting old and never thought i would get to an age where CRS would come into play
    Last edited by deer farmer; 08-21-2015, 09:09 AM. Reason: word corrections

Originally posted by deer farmer View Post
    Past experiences with clover has been a learning curve. And to give up a little of my experience here (along with some questions). I started with scarlet clovers that came in the mix of some of the Name brand food plot mixes. And the over the years I have moved to some other clovers, like Duranna, and Louisiana 1 and Red Ace (thanks to Elgato) and i am now i am also doing scarlet food plots with chicory added in. Most of them planted in the fall but some were frost planted in Dec, Jan. or Feb. I learned that if I irrigated the white clovers I could keep them looking good through out most of the yr. not so much with the scarlet clovers. i learned about mowing clovers to increase the yield but some were not able to be mowed this yr because i planted on the back side of a dam on the pond and the grade was to steep to mow. So now i have the whole area of the dam (about 2 acres) that really looked great but the Texas heat turned it to brown stubble. So what to do here? Would you reseed or will it come back on its own? And i can't remember what fertilizer to add this yr to the clover's, Anyone remember haha I'm getting old and never thought i would get to an age where CRS would come into play
    Just wanted to clarify when you say scarlet clover are you referring to crimson clover?

If that's what you planted on the dam....since its an annual clover unless it produced a seed head before you mowed it and the heat killed it.....it won't come back this fall unless some of the original seeds didn't germinate the first time.

So if it made a seed head it should come back with moisture and cool weather. If not I would probably replant.

Comment

UF sorry about my not being clear here but the crimpson is a clover that i now plant with the chicory in a couple if 2/3 acre spots, i think i will have to add seeds to it. But the clover on the steep dam was duranna (white clover and yes it went to seed i am sure), it was a beautiful 2 acres of thick clover. Just not sure if i needed to reseed it or would it come back when the rains start back? Was not able to mow it. Thanks

Comment

Maybe UF will weigh in with his Durana experience, but based on what I have read on other forums, Durana and other perennials will come back once the rain revives them. I have only planted Arrowleaf and Crimson for the last several years, and I have had good luck with both volunteering for 2 years after initial planting. They will volunteer even though I mow and disk them in and plant summer plots over them. Not the best way to do it, but I plant all the open ground I have.

Comment

I would bet alot of money it went to seed if you never mowed it...so that dropped alot of seed on the ground.

It has always acted like a reseeding annual on my place....always goes dormant in the summer heat/drought...but it has always come back on my place.

Comment

fallowing to learn

Comment

Below is a picture of my clover field on my place in Polk County in late April. I can't remember the exact clover but I know most if it was white clover. The field went brown this summer with no rain. All I am doing is cutting it this fall. No fertilizer because there should be enough N from the clover. I will let you guys know what happens this fall with regeneration. I had half the field in clover last summer and some of it made it all the way through green. Not this year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	24399245

Comment

the Duranna I had on the pond dam still has some growing clover where it was protected from the hot sun from the western sky, but most did burn up an brown out. I was not able to mow because of the steep dam but was buying seed and was wondering if it would come back to where it was so nice and thick. Or if would need to reseed it. Clover seed is not cheap when buying 50lb bags lol and my clover experience is way above where it was several yr ago but i'm still learning about the clovers and was hoping others here night have nore exp than me

Comment

When is everyone going to start their clover management? Spraying Cleth and 2-4DB? I have been thinking I need to get an early start with the warm weather?

Comment

Good Information guys as always!!!

Comment

Nice info

Comment

Working...
                      X