No announcement yet.

Barn Build.....here we go again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definitely following along on this one. Post lots of pics!

Comment

Will keep up with this one. Looking forward to it.

Comment

looks like work to me

Comment

Will be following. Good Luck on the build.

Comment

Haven't had a chance to work on the barn this week. Finished a 48hr shift this Morning and finished a side job around 7:30. Hope to get some progress soon. I'm vacation from work started today.

Comment

Awww come on man! Keep your priorities straight.

Can't wait to see the progress pics.

Comment

Originally posted by animalhse View Post
                The center poles are 24" in the ground set in concrete. They stand 14' above the ground. The outside poles are 4' in the ground set in cement and 8' above the ground.
                I so totally agree with the 4' set in concrete for the outside poles, but I would have thought doing the same thing for the center poles would be better. So, just because I'm not the expert, I'm assuming from your post that 2' for the center pole sets is sufficient for that height?

Comment

The 4x6 poles were only available in 16' lengths. The center poles only support the load of the main gable roof. The concrete set gives it enough for load and as far as stability for the height , the 14' poles are supported by the outside poles once they are all tied together.
                  Last edited by animalhse; 06-14-2012, 08:26 AM.

Comment

What are the dimensions and lumber sizes

Comment

Originally posted by Stan R View Post
                      What are the dimensions and lumber sizes
                      The overall dimension is 36x50. That's gonna give us six 12x16 stalls, with an 18x36 main body. Lumber ranges from 2x4 bracing to 2x8 rafters and 4x6 beams for main frame. I'm using screws for all the assembly. The nail gun gets a vacation on this one.

Comment

Ok, so if you (or I) had access to say... 25' telephone poles, how deep would you put these? Would you also use concrete bases?

Comment

Nice work.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                            Ok, so if you (or I) had access to say... 25' telephone poles, how deep would you put these? Would you also use concrete bases?
                            When I did our farm house I used telephone poles and buried them 48" deep without concrete. Granted they only stick up 24" above the surface. With telephone poles I'd bury them 48" deep if your going to extend them above the ground for a pole barn. depending on whether they are freestanding or supported by perimeter poles id set them in concrete. That's just me. I built another barn when I graduated from high school at my moms place. I used 4x6 and buried them 24" deep extending 10' above ground w/o concrete. It consists of 3 12x20 stalls (12posts) and its storing square bales in it today 13 years later with no issues.

Comment

Following Along!

Comment

Taking a little break. Started to get a little too hot outside. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340055659.485820.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	24085103Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340055675.316412.jpg
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	24085104Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340055718.118135.jpg
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	24085105
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by animalhse; 06-18-2012, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X