Sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sausage

Ok first timer here, how do I tie/end/close sausage. I am using natural casings they are soaking now going to stuff them tonight. can you just twist them between the ends (have 3-4 links on each strand) can ya tell I'm lost here... one thing i know is there going to be GOOD. Thank you in advance!

Azle

would like to know that myself. pm me your recipe i need a good one

Comment

I "thread" the casing onto the horn, then tie the end...use a toothpick to poke a hole or two in the end where tied to let air out when first stuffing. I stuff the entire length of casing except about 8 inches unstuffed at the end to tie again there...

Skinny

Comment

Tie one end then twist every 6 or so inches and that will seal the other end. stuff and twist in that order for the whole length of the casing.

Comment

Thanks Guys, finished about 10-15 lbs last night with the help of my wife, ready to do some eating now!
          What are some of your preferences for casings? I used natural because that is what I had, Pros and cons of the others?

Comment

Final product

Turned out ok for the first time looking forward to chow Thursday night.
            Attached Files

Comment

Well what is the recipe you used?

Comment

You dont have to tie the end. It will dry up tight.

Comment

Looks like a pro... good job..

Comment

we do it way differently.

we cut the casings into prolly 14" lenghts, then tie one end with butcher's twine (tight)

then stuff each individual ring. Tie the other end off, thereby trimming off a little ball of meat, then tieing the 2 pieces of twine together to make a ring that you can hand on a pole in the smokehouse.

kinda old school I guess, but that's the only way I know how to do it (and have seen it done one either side of the family).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fomNMq2ZMfY&NR=1"]‪Sausage making...old school style‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7luW2ZASRI&feature=related"]‪Sausage making...old school style‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

It was 12lbs of hog, 4lbs brisket, 2lbs wright smoked bacon, onion and garlic seasonings from Cabelas.

Comment

What is the best type of casing to use when making sausage? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Looks good, I want to try some when it cools down

Comment

Originally posted by HUNTING_COACH View Post
                            What is the best type of casing to use when making sausage? Thanks in advance.
                            we use beef.

they make edible collagen that you can buy online if you don't want to mess with turning and all that.

Comment

Working...
                            X