Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any laid off CNC Machinists around Tomball, Magnolia, Navasota, Conroe ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My uncle had a machine shop in West Texas, where I was introduced to machining at a young age. I took 3 years of machine shop in high school where we only had manual equipment. I could single point thread on a lathe by the time I was 15. Then I went to TSTI in Waco where they had all manual equipment, and one bench top tiny NC mill that ran off punch tape. We had a semester of NC where we wrote NC code by hand. I have been working in machine shops most of my life. I've been a CNC programmer since 2005 with mostly 5-axis experience using Siemens NX software. I've worked as a contract CNC programmer since 2013 all over the United States, from Washington state to Massachusetts and many places in between. Every shop I've worked at is looking for machinists. We are a dieing breed, the youngsters today don't want to get their hands dirty and learn a trade.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Backwoods101 View Post
      Legally he can’t say it so I’ll say it for him...no pansy*** sensitive snowflakes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by UncleBubba View Post
        I could use a good manual machinist if anyone has any leads?
        My ads state CNC, so get almost no guys with manual experience. Heck most have little experience even on CNC around here. We are in the heart of oil country and I am still surprised at the number of people that don't know anything about threads and other extremely common oil tool features.

I am seriously worried about the future of the trade/business if we can't get qualified people or find people with the aptitude to train. Or the willingness to work....

And also come in every day......

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
          My ads state CNC, so get almost no guys with manual experience. Heck most have little experience even on CNC around here. We are in the heart of oil country and I am still surprised at the number of people that don't know anything about threads and other extremely common oil tool features.

I am seriously worried about the future of the trade/business if we can't get qualified people or find people with the aptitude to train. Or the willingness to work....

It's sad. Machining seems to be a dying trade.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
            It's sad. Machining seems to be a dying trade.

Unfortunately I agree...

Comment

Observation from someone totally ignorant of the area:
              25 $/hr is not going to encourage any young people to enter the field. If they are in as high of demand and require as much skill as this thread makes it seem, why is the pay so low?

Comment

Originally posted by Deerslayersh View Post
                Observation from someone totally ignorant of the area:
                25 $/hr is not going to encourage any young people to enter the field. If they are in as high of demand and require as much skill as this thread makes it seem, why is the pay so low?
                And this is the problem. These kids are coming in wanting top $ without having to earn it. They come in having to be trained to do the job, but ***** about the money. Why did they hire in in the first place? Had a kid in his mid to upper 20's that would not work a lick of OT because "They don't pay me enough.". He quit after a couple of months. It took me 40yrs to get to $30 an hour. Nobody wants to earn it anymore.

Comment

$25 an hour starting out is good money in just about any field...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just something to think about: A good manual machinist can set up and touch off tools, especially if it's already programmed. It's not a big jump to cnc when the program is already written. Just a thought. I understand it's a temporary job, but showing a manual machinist how to do that may be better than waiting on a cnc guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                      Just something to think about: A good manual machinist can set up and touch off tools, especially if it's already programmed. It's not a big jump to cnc when the program is already written. Just a thought. I understand it's a temporary job, but showing a manual machinist how to do that may be better than waiting on a cnc guy.
                      This ^^^^.

Comment

Labor across the board is hard to find.

How many people do yall know personally looking for a job? From top to bottom in the spectrum. Very few if anyone.

Comment

Need to clarify, since this was a post I bumped, I missed the statement about it being temporary. This time it is not. This is a permanent full time job. Apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                            The guy I hired a few weeks ago was primarily a manual guy with a bit of CNC experience. I agree with your assertion, and hired him, he is working out well, which is quite refreshing considering the one before him.....

Comment

The guy I hired a few weeks ago was primarily a manual guy with a bit of CNC experience. I agree with your assertion, and hired him, he is working out well, which is quite refreshing considering the one before him.....
                              Glad to hear it.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                                And this is the problem. These kids are coming in wanting top $ without having to earn it. They come in having to be trained to do the job, but ***** about the money. Why did they hire in in the first place? Had a kid in his mid to upper 20's that would not work a lick of OT because "They don't pay me enough.". He quit after a couple of months. It took me 40yrs to get to $30 an hour. Nobody wants to earn it anymore.
                                I hired a kid coming out of that Hodde school over in Brenham some years back. Caught the dude measuring a part with a measuring tape cuz he couldn't find calipers...no **** man, for real. He didn't last long. Pretty much anyone under the age of 25 automatically sucks until they prove otherwise to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X