Pastrami on rye. AKA "The Ruben"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TD2000 View Post
    X2 on homemade kraut. NO comparison with what is sold in store. I like a long ferment so it gets golden color

Wish I had source for fresh home grown cabbages - if anyone knows of source, let me know.

Has more water in them for better kraut making
    You have a good recipe? I got a crock that's about to finish some fermented pickles and need to fill it.

Comment

I’ve got a brisket in the freezer that may get this treatment. Have a recipe for the brine you used?

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
        I’ve got a brisket in the freezer that may get this treatment. Have a recipe for the brine you used?
        Treat your taste buds to an unforgettable experience: Chef Tom's 6-day-cured, Smoked Pastrami! Enjoy the tantalizing smoky flavors, sublime succulence and unbeatable texture of this indulgent delicacy.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
          You have a good recipe? I got a crock that's about to finish some fermented pickles and need to fill it.
          A collection of 35 sweet, savory and spicy sauerkraut recipes - and Kimchi - from around the web. Eating sauerkraut daily can improve digestion.

I go the basic recipe.

Measure your salt and cabbage

Prefer a mandolin vs mechanical machine to shred. Right size

Knead the cabbage in salt to bring out the brine

Stuff and pack the crock. Put a cabbage leaf on bottom and on top before you put the weights in

I prefer the crocks that have a water moat to keep air out, yet let's it escape

My last batch due to temps stayed in crock for I think 6 weeks, maybe 8

I like it when it starts to become golden in color and a sweeter taste

When done, I transfer to picking jars and put in fridge

Last crock took 8 heads of cabbage

Comment

This convinced me to get one today for lunch. It was lame in comparison to Jason's Deli.....

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
              I used the brine recipe on the amazingribs.com website. I use their bacon brine recipe to.

Comment

That looks amazing, will have to try to make pastrami some day.

Comment

Rubens are my all time favorite

Comment

Working...
                  X