Spot N Stalk Black Bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spot N Stalk Black Bucks

Just wondering if anyone has any good tips for spot and stalk on balck bucks in the Hill Country. Moutain Home area.

I can only offer my hope that you have good luck with spot and stalk on a black buck. We have free ranging bb's on our lease in Kerr county and they are much more wary than deer - at least in my experience. I've had them pass within easy bow range when I was well concealed and sitting on stand, but other than that, the slightest hint of danger and they are gone - as in they don't even slow down until they are completely out of sight! I have stalked within 50, or so, yards of a bb that was chasing a doe, but never closer. Hopefully, someone else has advice for you. At any rate, good luck.

Comment

We have them on our place, and I can count on one hand the number of times I have been in bow range of them without being in a stand in 15+ years, and most of those were random encounters. Certainly they are not as difficult as pronghorns due to the terrain, but I wouldn't put my $ on being able to spot & stalk one on a weekend hunt. Spot and 'get to where they are going' is a more likely scenario.

Comment

Good luck with that.

Comment

You better put your ninja face on ... cause your game face ain't gonna get it done!

Comment

those sucker even sit where they are looking in all directions. i got within 50 yards once when the wind was howling, it helped keep my scent and sounds away from them.

Good luck.

Comment

I've tried it before without success. I think you will be better off in a stand or spotting them and trying to get in front of them and cut them off.

Comment

I've done it with a rifle. Very difficult to get less 50 yards. Only luck I've had with a bow is on a stand. You are probably more stealthy than me though.Good luck!

Comment

Low crawl/play wind/camo/practice at 50+ yds

Comment

I hunted one for 4 days straight last year on a HF place in Mt home. i hunted Tree stands, tri-pods and pop ups with no luck he never would get in range and worst yet he always had 4 or 5 does with him. The last day i stalked with in 100 yards of him laying down but any closer then that and he would slowly get up gather his does and walk off.I finally smoked poled his but at 250 yards.
                    They are hard to hunt.

Comment

Ours would mix in with the goats when we would get close. My dad got one at 125 yards and I got mine around 100. But both were with rifles.

Comment

All I can tell you is those suckers are FAST! Good Luck!

Comment

you would have to be better than buck medley to do that

Comment

We had a place in Harper with a large population of BB... One of the best ways to haarvest a BB with a bow is to sit on a water source, they seem to water more often than a whitetail. I also used to sit on fencelines and the BB would travel up and down the fence as they inherently don't like to cross fences unless pushed (this was a low fence situation). They also begin making the rounds to the feeder when it gets really cold.

Best of luck, Kody
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X