Any trappers on the green screen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by big papa View Post
    Cool. What do you use to catch the bobcats? I can catch raccoons, possums, and of course skunks, but never can catch a bobcat or coyote.
    I'm not an expert at trapping by any means but I can let you know what has worked for me.They'll eat tuna and meat that's been in the freezer for too long if you can't find any wild bait.But it's better to use things that they're used to eating.Well I don't know if it's better but that's what I like to use instead of tuna or a freezer burnt pork chop.If I shoot a cottontail I'll throw the parts of the rabbit that I aint gonna eat in the back of the trap for bait.But a dead starling tied to the back of the trap works pretty good too and I've even shot prairie dogs and used them as bait.I always tie a feather to the back of the trap too so that maybe it will kind of help catch a bobcats attention.But before you worry about setting the trap and all that good stuff you gotta find a place to set it first.It's a good idea to try and find a place where you know a bobcat is so you aren't just wasting your time.I do quite a bit of scouting during the offseason to get an idea of where cats are at so I won't have to spend as much time searching when it's time to catch them.Or I try to at least get a good idea of where a bobcat might be staying.But if you can find signs that a bobcat is in the area that's where you'll want to set your trap.

I use a live trap (cage trap) for trapping bobcats so I don't know how to go about catching a bobcat with a leg hold trap so if you use leg hold traps I won't be much help.But just in case I'll tell you how I catch bobcats.Once I've found out where a bobcat is hanging out I'll find some pretty thick cover near the area it's staying in to set my trap.I try to put two pretty good sized rocks or tree logs on either side of the trap or set it in between two trees if possible so the bobcat wont flip the trap and get out once it has been caught.You can also use tent stakes to stake it to the ground which works good too.I always like to cover the trap up with tumble weeds,tree limbs and grass so that the bobcat isn't as skittish about walking inside to check things out.I also cover the bottom of the trap with dirt and grass so that the bobcat doesn't get nervous about walking on the wire to get to the bait at the back of the trap.I don't use any cover scent unless a skunk finds the bait before the bobcat does so I don't know what to suggest when it comes to that kind of stuff.I don't think cats are too worried about what the trap smells like anyway.......hmmmm........well I think I just ran out of things to say.Hopefully you found at least some of that to be useful information. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.I've been up since 6am yesterday morning so I'm kinda tired.I feel like I just wrote a novel.lol
    Last edited by okrattler; 11-13-2011, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by big papa View Post
      Has anybody every tried the feather on a string trick and did it work?
      I use it all the time for cats in combo with a lure sent, caught bunches of cats last season, haven't started yet this year cats, just yotes.

I try and not use meat as a lure, you catch to many coons and skunks. A good set takes to much time to waste on a coon. But when I do, it is bobcat meat.

Comment

Yep I am a trapper,been doing it all my life. I love catching cats and yotes!

Comment

Snared my first hog this year. Havent varmit trapped yet.

Comment

Thanks for the responses y'all.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Javi Cooper View Post
              Trapped for years back when there was enough in it to pay but the price of fur went south and I gave it up..
              X2.

Sent from my HTC EVO.

Comment

I don't trap for the money. I just do it for fun.

Comment

I did a ton of it back in the 70's and 80's , but like the other guys fur prices went bust. Now days everyone wants you to pay to play and there's to much work involved to pay for it. If you want to learn more get ahold of a Trapper and Predator Caller magazine or Fur,Fish and Game there should be some good "how to" books in them. Get some books and get started, then with some experience a lot of things will start to fall into place.

Comment

Zoch'10 got me into trapping. I have only been at it for two days. I checked them tonight and had one set off so Zoch showed me what I did wrong and reset the three and we will see what happens. I have a big yote population on my lease.

Comment

I use to do it and loved it. Don't have any places to trap any more. Fur money paid for my dates back in high school. Remember when you could skin a opossom and get 5 or 6 bucks. Prices dropped to 50 cents and we quit skinning them. Buddy would just step on the trap springs and let them out.

Comment

trap-daddy does

Comment

I used to until my traps started disappearing with the chain still bolted to the tree. I use the twigs to funnel them into the trap and used predator bait that gut rot in a bag stuff it worked relatively well

Comment

ha beavers are where its at, skin not worth but a popcorn fart now days but still love a good conibear and a pair of waders

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
                            trap-daddy does

Comment

Has any body ever tried cat man do by milligans?

Comment

Have trapped my entire life.... Love to trap bobcats, been trying to trap a lion out west for the past couple years but to no avail, yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X