"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
    ...Lets hope deer season will be good year there.
    X2 !!! That's the only deer hunting this kids gonna be doing this year. I'm really more interested in the hogs, but if I can hunt both in a general archery season as Somerville has I'm sure going to get there to scout out the area adequately before October. I want to go through Sorefinger and Willis before heading over to Somerville though. I think I can get the smaller acreage at the Somerville WMA scouted out in about 3 trips or so which would probably take me a month and a half to get in. So I should start by mid-August. Until then I want to get in those last areas of Granger I haven't dripped sweat all over yet. I found that the primitve campground area, the area below the dam (North side of the river), and the area halfway between gates #6 & #7 (pond) were all good. I also wanna go back for that sow I saw near the P.C. campground area when I shot my first pig the other day. She was freakin' onery and huge. I picked a smaller pig because even though I wanted that hog, she was just way too much for me by myself to get out of there with that approx 2 mile hike/drag back out to the parking area at Comanche Bluffs. The medium-ish sow looked easier to get out and I assumed more tender, so I begrudginly opted for that pig over her. She was a happy medium between the numerous small ones and the big sow. I have been reliving that scene over and over...about 5 minutes after I shot her younger/smaller herdmate she came back by herself to stare at me from on top of a rise overlooking where I was waiting to follow up my pig. The rain was pouring down hard as heck by then (and made my tracking a real chore too). She growled, then huffed, grunted...clicked her teeth (spooky)...and if looks could kill, I swear I'd be dead. When I stood up, and pulled my knife (just in case) she slowly turned and trotted off. I was wondering for a minute just how determined she was going to be! She's a beaut..all black russian...huge tusks, and just gnarly as all heck...I thought she was a boar at first until she turned sideways, and I saw a row of teats hangin' down off her..easily over 250/300 lbs, twice as tall as my 80/100 pounder and twice as long, and MUCH thicker/muscular...now all I can think about is getting that sow, and trying to come up with a way to get her big arse out of there without giving myself a coronary, or hernia...I am badly hooked on hawg hunting @ Granger I'm afraid ...

Comment

no prob. when i go out to sorefinger I usually take the boat and tie up to the bank. makes it much easier to drag the ol hog out. If you need a bud to help do some scouting let me know we can take the boat out and cover some ground over there.

Comment

Originally posted by huntnfishtex View Post
        no prob. when i go out to sorefinger I usually take the boat and tie up to the bank. makes it much easier to drag the ol hog out. If you need a bud to help do some scouting let me know we can take the boat out and cover some ground over there.
        Nice! I'll have to PM ya when I have an idea of when I'm going out Sorefinger to see if it works with what you've got going on at the time....that's a downright cool offer there bud And I promise to man an oar if yer boat runs out of gas (really, I do...)...

Comment

Originally posted by Idaho TradBow View Post
          X2 !!! That's the only deer hunting this kids gonna be doing this year. I'm really more interested in the hogs, but if I can hunt both in a general archery season as Somerville has I'm sure going to get there to scout out the area adequately before October. I want to go through Sorefinger and Willis before heading over to Somerville though. I think I can get the smaller acreage at the Somerville WMA scouted out in about 3 trips or so which would probably take me a month and a half to get in. So I should start by mid-August. Until then I want to get in those last areas of Granger I haven't dripped sweat all over yet. I found that the primitve campground area, the area below the dam (North side of the river), and the area halfway between gates #6 & #7 (pond) were all good. I also wanna go back for that sow I saw near the P.C. campground area when I shot my first pig the other day. She was freakin' onery and huge. I picked a smaller pig because even though I wanted that hog, she was just way too much for me by myself to get out of there with that approx 2 mile hike/drag back out to the parking area at Comanche Bluffs. The medium-ish sow looked easier to get out and I assumed more tender, so I begrudginly opted for that pig over her. She was a happy medium between the numerous small ones and the big sow. I have been reliving that scene over and over...about 5 minutes after I shot her younger/smaller herdmate she came back by herself to stare at me from on top of a rise overlooking where I was waiting to follow up my pig. The rain was pouring down hard as heck by then (and made my tracking a real chore too). She growled, then huffed, grunted...clicked her teeth (spooky)...and if looks could kill, I swear I'd be dead. When I stood up, and pulled my knife (just in case) she slowly turned and trotted off. I was wondering for a minute just how determined she was going to be! She's a beaut..all black russian...huge tusks, and just gnarly as all heck...I thought she was a boar at first until she turned sideways, and I saw a row of teats hangin' down off her..easily over 250/300 lbs, twice as tall as my 80/100 pounder and twice as long, and MUCH thicker/muscular...now all I can think about is getting that sow, and trying to come up with a way to get her big arse out of there without giving myself a coronary, or hernia...I am badly hooked on hawg hunting @ Granger I'm afraid ...
          MY buddy and I are gonna hit Granger on wednesday with the rain and cooler weather and try and avoid the snakes. If yah wanna meet up PM me, this will be his first time out hog hunting but is the best hunter i've ever meet so he should catch on quick. With the rain the hogs should be in the low grass areas rooting for grubs and worms

Comment

MY buddy and I are gonna hit Granger on wednesday ..../...If yah wanna meet up PM me,...
            Thanks for the offer crod, but I'm working solid up through Thursday night. I may try to get out again early Friday AM (0dark:30)...regarding the overgrown worms with fangs - I haven't seen a live, venomous, Mister NoShoulders since early May. Just a few dead ones on the roads. Don't know why as I've beat feet all over that place...unless they've been snackin' on my snakeboots and they're just sooooo danged good that I never even felt 'em gnawin' on me shins (Bass Pro Specials) ...dude at the HQ Office said the hogs keep the snake pop down (they root 'em out and eat 'em). Sounds like a good deal to me!!! More hogs/fewer sneaky snakes works for me I say...good luck to you and your bud, and maybe we'll be able to hook up down the road here before too long so you can kindly donate your expertise re crod888s guide and hog haulin' service ...have fun, KAP, and stay safe

Comment

Johnny called today to tell me he finally got the tractor back from the shop with the new clutch installed.

After he got dieseled up he was going to try out the plow for the food plots.

He sounded extremely happy.

The menu for the fall food plots will be a mix of wheat, oat and turnips. Maybe.

Everybody pray the tractor fix sticks.

Comment

Sound GOOD!!! Which gates?

Comment

Talked with Johnty also, hope he gets the tractor goin soo. Sounds like he's gonna do gates 6 and 7 first, then cammache bluff, then below the dam.

Comment

Talked with Johnty also, hope he gets the tractor goin soo. Sounds like he's gonna do gates 6 and 7 first, then cammache bluff, then below the dam.
                    Awesome! All my fav spots Good luck out their today crod...KAP!

Comment

Hey Idaho,

Congrats on getting your first Texas Pig!!! I hadn't checked this thread in quite a while. Way to go!!!

Comment

Thanks Kestimator...and congrats on those trophies from the shoot! Got so absorbed by my quest for pork chops I had forgotten to check in on the Austin shoot...looks like you knocked 'em dead!

Comment

Thanks Idaho! They were quite charitable on the distribution of "trophies" but I'll happily take what I got Do you have a good recipe for trophies? Maybe fried or broiled?? LOL!

Comment

Man I cant wait till I can walk out there and hunt again. This dang foot has to heal up soon. I need some pics folks. Help me with my addiction.

Comment

My buddy and I walked from 6 to 7 and back yesterday and didnt see anything. Still way to much corn up around there. Saw that there was some fesh pecans on the ground though. Also got caught in a beatuful rain storm that felt really cool. Prolly will try again next week.

Comment

You ever try to hunt the fence line by the corn. I found some really big holes where the pigs were crossing. They have it torn up pretty bad. At least last year. Over by that white farm house. I imagine you could ambush a whole mess of hogs there right at dark.

Comment

Working...
                                X