No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps is messes with their smelling and they don't move as much.

Comment

Hey guys, I was wondering what you all prefer for hog hunting. Spot and stalk or setting up a blind and baiting them on a regular basis in one spot with a feeder of some sort. I've been out there a few times now and still haven't seen anything except some occasional sign so I'm wondering if I'm doing everything right with spot and stalk.

Comment

Putting up a feeder IMO is a bad idea. First off the hogs will hit it at night time and second there is a good chance it will be stolen. I put up a feeder when I first started hunting at granger and did all this hard work to carry the corn, feeder and hang-on stand and it was stolen the second week I had it up. Talk about being ******. I have never used a feeder since. I have made a few hog tubes which are easy and cheap to make.

The best thing to do out at granger it to walk and stalk. The reason I call it walk and stalk because you have to move slowly like you are stalking a hog the whole time you are walking.

Comment

Have never been out to Granger yet. I'd like to get out there sometime soon. I'd like to wait for all the deer hunting to calm down though. Maybe I'll get out there the first of the year.

Awesome thread by the way!! Way too much reading for the little bit of time I have to read it.

Thanks!!

Evan

Comment

Feeders will do you little to no good out there. Stay mobile, move slowly, and listen. 9 times out of 10 you'll hear them before you see them. Before I got my lease out there I spent lots of time on the WMA and killed bunches of hogs. My favorite days were calm days where you could go to areas you know they bedded and listen for them to get up in the evenings. Once you hear them moving/feeding, try to get ahead of them. They move quick so make a wide circle and stay downwind. It's mostly a learning process until you find places they bed on a normal basis. Most often it's in thick bloodweeds.

Comment

That would be a challenge for me. I have to walk very quiet because I can't hear them as I am deaf. All I know is that I know that not to step on anything that snaps. :-)

Anyone hunt today or planning to go hunt tomorrow?

Comment

I am about to head out right now. Got a new bowtech allegiance. Finally I have a bow of my own. Its a shooter so far.

Comment

nice bow man good luck with the hunt. down a hog!

Comment

All the park is closed till friday except Sorefinger and hwy 95 so we went down the river. It gets really thick back there. No sign, just tons and tons of misquitoes. There were some kids out there as we were just getting there and you could here them shooting off some guns. Must of been hand guns cause when they walked back up they did not have anything as far a rifles. It also sounded like and auto pistol. With that shooting and bugs we only looked around for 2 hrs and headed back. Intresting area when you back deep in those trees.

Anyone going out sat or sun. I cant make up my mind which. Sunday calls for overcast and maybe rain. Sat is sooner.

Comment

Went out by the dam 2 30 till 5pm. Found scat but no hogs. Never been to this part so it was a great scouting trip. Lots of leg work.

Comment

You'll walk alot at Granger. Keep your ears open. Walk slowly into the wind.

Comment

Anyone else been out? I am heading out again tomorrow. There is so much land to explore so I am hitting up different areas each time. Some of those woods are so thick. It is pretty cool out there. Even the game trails are thick. Cant wait for the bugs to not be so thick.

Comment

I'm going out tomorrow morning early will be behind the **** on the southside before dawn. Where will you be?

Comment

dam* haha

Comment

I am not sure if I am going to make it now. My wifes grandmother passed away. It is up in the air. I was wanting to try the south side of the dam as well. I explored the middle by the food plots last trip. Have most of the san gabriel unit explored and parts of sorefinger. By the dam is some of the coolest woods I have been in. I am used to S texas woods. Big oaks and yaupon sprinkeled with tons of cacti, and bull nettle.

Comment

Working...
                                X