Help me plan a 3 week road trip.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me plan a 3 week road trip.

Next July or a little over 7 months from now the wife and I will be taking a road trip. We will end up at Bear Lake in northern Utah for a family reunion.

I've been all over the West but never East or much north central U.S.

This is our very rough first draft where we may want to go map. We've never been on a road trip stopping at more than 1-2 locations. So we're not sure how long to stay at each location. I figure if it's less than a 5 hour drive between stops maybe just stay one night which would give us 1/2 day to look around. I get bored easy

If you know of a destination anywhere near this route please speak up. And if we should follow the Rivers or just get on major interstates etc. We're in no hurry but if it's no mans land wouldn't mind moving along. Again I have no idea as I've never been that way.

[IMG][/IMG]

I'll update the map and start a new thread once a month or so as it changes.

Would like to stop and catch a catfish or two on the Mississippi. Any ideas for that?
    And a sturgeon up north maybe.

We will be staying at BnBs mainly I assume if 2 or more nights. Maybe hotel if just one night.
    Last edited by RiverRat1; 10-21-2020, 06:04 AM.

That looks like a trip I’d like to take.
    I hear there are some really nice falls in Wisconsin

Comment

The A through C part of that journey is lackluster. I’d drag my C pin down to East Tennessee, then head up through Kentucky. You won’t be missing anything bypassing Indiana. Lol

Comment

If driving through Michigan, don't miss going to the west side of the state. Sleeping bear sand dunes, pyramid point, Traverse City area, Torch Lake. If you have the extra time I'd drive the coast up and stop in Ludington. July is the Cherry Festival in Traverse so you might want to attend or avoid that.

Visiting Mackinac Island should also be a stop. I would suggest spending the night on the island at a BnB.

In the UP, Tahquamenon Falls is cool but the main must see stop is pictured rocks which it looks like you have on there. Also, the UP is big and there isn't much up there.

I grew up in Northern Michigan and still have all my family there so if you have any questions, I'm happy to help.

There's good opportunities to salmon fish on the west side of the state as well.
        Last edited by jb5001; 10-21-2020, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
          The A through C part of that journey is lackluster. I’d drag my C pin down to East Tennessee, then head up through Kentucky. You won’t be missing anything bypassing Indiana. Lol
          Can you be more specific? East Tennessee better than West or just trying to avoid Indiana? So go through Ohio?

And yes that's why A-B is a 9 hour drive (or more), just to get it out of the way.

Comment

I agree with this. You could head further east and go through Nashville. For activities you can go to the national corvette museum in Bowling Green, Ky. Can always stop in Louisville to see the Kentucky Derby.

Comment

Originally posted by jb5001 View Post
              If driving through Michigan, don't miss going to the west side of the state. Sleeping bear sand dunes, pyramid point, Traverse City area, Torch Lake. If you have the extra time I'd drive the coast up and stop in Ludington. July is the Cherry Festival in Traverse so you might want to attend or avoid that.

Visiting Mackinac Island should also be a stop. I would suggest spending the night on the island at a BnB.

In the UP, Tahquamenon Falls is cool but the main must see stop is pictured rocks which it looks like you have on there. Also, the UP is big and there isn't much up there.

I grew up in Northern Michigan and still have all my family there so if you have any questions, I'm happy to help.

There's good opportunities to salmon fish on the west side of the state as well.
              Michigan is where my wife wants to spend some time 3-5 days. I'm ready to hear all you have to say about it. If you know anyone who wants to visit Texas an potentially do a house swap that would be good also. Then I'd stay another week or so.

Catching a salmon or two would be awesome. You know any local fishermen who love fishing but are not guides? I want to fish for real, not be guided on a nice clean touristy boat etc.

Comment

3 weeks in a car with my wife??? There would be a shallow grave somewhere along the route.
                The last trip we took seperate planes with me landing in Chicago and her in Richmond Va.
                I eventually ended up in Richmond a couple of days later.........
                Last edited by Johnny Dangerr; 10-21-2020, 06:46 AM.

Comment

I may be able to hook you up on a Mississippi river catfish but you would have to travel a little closer to St Louis Missouri.

Comment

I-30 from Texarkana to Little Rock is ugly, but there’s no way around that really if you’re headed this way.

I-40 from Little Rock to Memphis also leaves a lot to be desired. Practically devoid of any type of scenery or worthwhile stopping places.

I’d go 30 to Little Rock, then head north towards Buffalo River/Bull Shoals/Norfolk area. It’s worth a day or two to see the sights in this area & there are plenty of air BnB spots, trout guides, etc.

From there, head NE to St Louis though the MO part of the Ozarks. It’ll be a slower drive but much more to see.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                      Can you be more specific? East Tennessee better than West or just trying to avoid Indiana? So go through Ohio?

And yes that's why A-B is a 9 hour drive (or more), just to get it out of the way.

Just not much in west Tennessee. East Tennessee you got the mountains and some nice places to spend a day or two. I figure if you’re already spending that much time in a car, what’s a few extra hours to get you to the Smoky Mountains. Also, I highly recommend the Black Hills of South Dakota and Mt. Rushmore.

Comment

If you do go further east as has been suggested, I’d make sure and spend a day or two in the Amish country of NE Ohio. I’ve been once and want to go back. Found it incredibly interesting and beautiful.

Comment

Just not much in west Tennessee. East Tennessee you got the mountains and some nice places to spend a day or two. I figure if you’re already spending that much time in a car, what’s a few extra hours to get you to the Smoky Mountains. Also, I highly recommend the Black Hills of South Dakota and Mt. Rushmore.
                          Got it. Looks good that way. Lots of water which I enjoy.

Originally posted by bklem View Post
                          If you do go further east as has been suggested, I’d make sure and spend a day or two in the Amish country of NE Ohio. I’ve been once and want to go back. Found it incredibly interesting and beautiful.
                          Where's this exactly, up by Cleveland or Canton?

Comment

If you’re going to be in the dakotas I highly suggest making a stop at mt Rushmore, being in Montana I would suggest Garry Owen and visiting the site of the battle of the Little Bighorn, detouring a little south into Wyoming to big medicine wheel in the bighorns, and if that far west to Helena, I would suggest lolo pass just west of Missoula. Idaho I’d suggest Shoshone falls, and crators of the moon.

Comment

Look up guides on the Rainey River of Lake of The Woods in Minnesota. They have sturgeon there - can’t help you with a specific guide name as we just DIY ice fish there every year. Also no idea on the season..

If you have extra time in Minnesota I’d look at driving up the north shore to Gran Marais. If you follow the gun flint trail from Gran Maria’s there are several lodges - get a guide or rent canoes and head into the Superior National Forest and/or Boundary Waters (you need a permit for the boundary waters). Fish for trout, walleye, SMB, northern pike, and you’ll see tons of wildlife. I’ve seen deer, bear, moose, bald eagles, grouse..

Also, the walleye fishing at Devils Lake in North Dakota is unbelievable.

If you fly fish, watch the video “The Fly Highway” on Amazon video - it’ll give you tons of fishing ideas for western MT/WY and Idaho. Plus it’s just a great video...

Comment

Working...
                              X