PTSD- advice/help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PTSD- advice/help

Memorial Day makes me think of all the Vets that pay long after deployment. Ive seen guys on here and also know many are suffering with demons without saying a word. I went through nothing like what these guys did. I did work nights for years and did years on the DWI Unit in a major hub. As a Supervisor I made almost all fatal crashes at night to see if my guys needed anything. Add a young family and years and things did not process or go away. I denied it because that was what you do otherwise something is wrong with you or your labeled. I cant do more than say i tried EDMR. It sounded like judo to me but I did it because someone pushed me that way. I went to a Dr that did not know more than my first name- i paid zero - she is funded by donations. If you know someone including yourself there is help out there. I sleep normal now- my mind doesnt go dark- I feel good and have energy.

Dr is Tanja Glenn - Not sure she still offers all the same service but with Google and her name and EDMR it may be an option.

If anyone wants more fell free to contact by PM and ill call or drop my number

Absolutely man!! I’m on the FD side of things and as you know, we see stuff most people never will. That stuff wears on you over time. If any of y’all ever need somebody to just talk to don’t be afraid to reach out!!

Comment

Great post, brother! I can personally vouch for Dr. Glenn as well...made an almost immediate and lasting change in me. I currently serve on our department peer support team. That’s how much I believe it works.

Comment

Lets say a soldier spent his entire career being searched for by Enemy K-9’s and has PTSD partly because of these encounters or what would happen if he were taken prisoner or when found by these K-9’s, having to say a final Prayer, pull the pin, and let the handle pop on his last resort grenade. Do y’all think its fair to subject him to all of these ****able “emotional support” dogs?

Just “asking for a friend” that has a terrible reaction when exposed to these dogs. If he has to deal with it, the other nut sacks should have to deal with it.
        Last edited by Johnny44; 05-30-2021, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Great post Glen! I hope it helps someone like it helped you!

Comment

I’m glad you posted this, Glen, and glad you got help. I still think you are a little off...probably those tuner fishing derelicts you hang with!!!

Comment

Glad to read you have got help to deal with your demons! Had some issues myself over the years from the LEO/Medic days, still some demons but have dealt with "most" issues.

I have a ex-colleague/friend who is crashing to the point I would not be surprised any day to hear he's gone. Our company, I retired from, went to the expense to get him a service dog, covered him 3 times for rehab (alcohol) but just found out a couple of days ago he's taken his last step with the company and Management "Friends," so on his way out it seems. So many have tried to help, so many have "enabled" him, well....

USMC Veteran, Iraq, Somalia, Land's of Sand....Just breaks my heart but he won't even take my calls. God Bless you and Prayer's for all who suffer....

Comment

Not for everyone and doesn’t make it go away but I take great comfort in studying our ancestral past. Really helps to put things into perspective and hell of a motivator. What they went through and then drove on...... seriously. From studying our past it becomes painfully obvious we don't give our resilience enough credit and allow things to consume us. To each their own. EDMR and psychotherapy do nothing for some Im told. Talking does but some minds will block out anyone or anything trying to get in Ive heard. Diet and exercise are of grave importance in combating stress disorders as are meds. SSRIs are garbage IMO. Mirtazapine is a newer type of drug thats works well with stress disorder and are very benign. Small dose of Klonopin in the AM works well too but you have to have strong will power or they can become psychologically addictive. Feedback loop. 0.5 mg 5 days a week, always take 2 days off a week and you are golden. If you want to erase your mind and take em by the handful thats your own **** fault.

So I have heard.
                Last edited by Ætheling; 05-30-2021, 05:47 PM.

Comment

Deep stuff Glenn, thanks for posting. Help is out there but we have to realize the need first, and not be afraid of the ask.

I’ll add there is no drug for trauma, has to be worked/talked out thru therapy and therapy does not look the same for everyone.
                  Last edited by rvd; 05-30-2021, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X