How much do cedar yards pay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much do cedar yards pay?

I was following a pickup truck that had a bed full of cedar. Small to large limbs/logs all 5-7' long.

Just curious if anyone ever sells to the yards like that and what they actually pay. Figure with lumber through the roof maybe one day it would be worth selling some while clearing.

I was very curious about this as well. I actually have some very large cedar, like 10-12" base trees. I wouldn't mind doing some timber harvest.

Comment

Several years ago, there was a place North of Glen Rose that sold cedar stays to large posts. I bought some, no way would I have cut and trimmed for what he was selling it for. And, he was the middle man...

Comment

It’s not worth a crud, we have thousands of 12” plus logs in the yard waiting on prices to increase and they seem to keep going down. They won’t pay for the fuel to harvest them right now unless you find a hungry buyer.

Comment

2-3” diameter latillas go for around a buck a foot. That is what the roadside vendors ask for coyote fence.

Comment

The mill down the road from me says don’t bother unless I have a lumber truck full if perfectly straight logs that have all been delimbed. He doesn’t want me bringing a flatbed full of different sized logs. After watching my cedar cutters, what I think is straight isn’t always what they think is straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I suspect all metal fences killed the cedar business except for land scaping.
              Last edited by doghouse; 05-03-2021, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Had a guy offer me 25.00 a ton. I told him hit the road.

Comment

So answer is not much!

Now I really wonder what that guy got for his truck bed loaded with cedar. LOL Had to of taken him 6-8 hours to get that much cut and delimbed.

Comment

They pay more than you think. Stop at the yard just south CR 243 on hwy 183 and ask Carter how much he pays.

Comment

I’m piling and burning mine. $250.00 a 5 ton load where I’m at. Not worth loading it on the truck.

Comment

My Brother in law pays $8 for an 8 foot post. He does a lot of fence in east Tx.
                        From what i gather a lot cedar post in Cen tex go out west.
                        No way it pays good enough to be a full time cedar chopper

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                          So answer is not much!

Now I really wonder what that guy got for his truck bed loaded with cedar. LOL Had to of taken him 6-8 hours to get that much cut and delimbed.
                          Most folks ive seen making a living chopping cedars look a lot like the fellas running around picking up scrap metal

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                            Most folks ive seen making a living chopping cedars look a lot like the fellas running around picking up scrap metal
                            And what might that be?

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                              And what might that be?
                              Rugged. We look rugged.

Comment

Working...
                              X