PSA: Watch for bicycle riders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
    Bob if that had been me my home owners insurance would have fixed your truck I believe and I will tell you I pay just as much taxes as you do if not more.
    How much do you pay for your bike compared to a car? Registration? Insurance? Inspection? Keep it apples to apples.

If it were up to me bike riders would have to get their bike inspected every year, get registration tags every year and in general pitch in the same as any other vehicle on the road.

There is no reason a bike rider can't ride on a road or roads with less than 30 mph speed limit, bike lanes or shoulders. As Glen said, other than inconvenience of course. Do laps if you have to...

Comment

They seem to not know what stop signs are or mean....

Comment

As a cyclist I'll keep my mouth shut but some of these remarks are unreal.

You won’t get a lot of support here but some cyclists bring it on themselves. In the urban areas they ignore a lot of the traffic laws such as actually stopping at a stop sign, red light, etc and then flipping people off when they get honked at or almost hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Best story I have is of an old farmer here locally. He found himself in the middle of a bike race on a road very similar to what a lot on here are talking about. Narrow, blind curves, pot holes, etc. Lots of bike riders, no single file etc as it was a race. Well he wasn't in a truck he was in a tractor with a disc harrow behind him. When it was safe he dropped the disc taking up the whole road and dropped it to about 5 mph. There was no passing and the hypocrisy of the bike riders getting ****** off for having to ride 5 mph must have been a glorious sight. From what I heard there was no first or last place in that race for quite a while. Then a couple of bike riders got around him and decided they would make him stop by stopping their bikes in the middle of the road. This one wasn't a bike vs an F350, it was a couple of bikes vs a big tractor. You can guess which one won. To my knowledge nobody was hurt but there were a couple of boys without their expensive bikes... I don't condone the behavior of the farmer but it sure puts a smile on my face thinking about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
            You won’t get a lot of support here but some cyclists bring it on themselves. In the urban areas they ignore a lot of the traffic laws such as actually stopping at a stop sign, red light, etc and then flipping people off when they get honked at or almost hit.
            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            I wasn't looking for support and I agree that there are a bunch of guys that run red lights and stop signs and that is wrong. But they shouldn't be run over or run off the road because of it. I ride to stay in shape so I can chase Elk in the fall but at the end of the day I want to go home to my family just like everyone else.

Comment

I see a lot near my parents house over the last few years. These are the barely two lanes, no shoulder, blind curve roads everyone is mentioning. Haven't seen anyone hit yet but I'm sure it's happened.

We have a guy in our neighborhood that rides every day of the week right down the center of the road. People are always complaining about him to the point I think he enjoys it. He'll probably get smashed by one of the teenagers before it's over.

Comment

I know where the trails are but trying to ride a bike 20+ mph on a trail with people walking their dogs on a leash is kinda like driving a car on a road with cyclist.
                So.....you can see why auto drivers don’t like to share roads with no shoulders ......

Comment

Yes they have a legal right to "share" the road. But they impede traffic which last I knew was a violation of some type.
                  Yes the vehicle driver will likely be at fault in a collision with a bicycle or motorcycle but hard to feel good about being found not at faulwhen you're dead or crippled up because. You took on a truck with a bike.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Glen can you give me some examples of safe routes where a cyclist can ride 50 to 100 miles for a training ride?

Stationary bicycle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                      Austin has the East side of Ladybird Lake that has a pave trail behind Kreig Field that connects to Guerro Park that ends up in Manor area. There and back is about 60 miles. Just did one in Hattisburg Ms that was 66 miles long. Not sure where you ride but if you look there are options

Looks like Benbrook Lake Trail in your area is 29 miles and change. Ride it 2-3 times.

Just google your area and plenty of resources- Call your cycle shop- ask some of your friends that ride. You ride so you know there are plenty of folks that dont ride on roadways with cars- you also know people hurt or worse Im sure. Im not saying its right but if you want to ride safely you will have to transport and be inconvenienced
                      It depends on what you want to do. If you are on a joy ride then this is a great route. If you are trainig for something like an Ironman then that is plain irresponsible, I would never ride on that route doing 23mph, you are asking to kill a jogger, a kid on a bike, or just folks joy riding.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                        Yes they have a legal right to "share" the road. But they impede traffic which last I knew was a violation of some type.
                        Yes the vehicle driver will likely be at fault in a collision with a bicycle or motorcycle but hard to feel good about being found not at faulwhen you're dead or crippled up because. You took on a truck with a bike.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                        You are 100% correct. I've been pulled over by a cop for not following vehicle laws. I deserved the warning.

Comment

Prod- put in at Guerro Park and head East. You wont pass more than a handful of folks.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                            Prod- put in at Guerro Park and head East. You wont pass more than a handful of folks.
                            I have done that. Not a great route. I live in Cedar Park and just head out my driveway to Andice or Georgetown and back on Parmer. Doesn't give folks to the right to roll coal on me, pass as close as they can, honk, throw cans, etc. Funny note and I preface this by saying I drive a RAM pick up but I have never in 20 years had anything but a RAM roll coal on me. Additionally, within the tri community there is actually a rating system on truck brands and the propensity to be a danger to you. Ram by far is the worse and again I drive a RAM.

Comment

I wasn't looking for support and I agree that there are a bunch of guys that run red lights and stop signs and that is wrong. But they shouldn't be run over or run off the road because of it. I ride to stay in shape so I can chase Elk in the fall but at the end of the day I want to go home to my family just like everyone else.
                              Then stay off the Fing road.

Bikes that get ran over out here in my area get 0 sympathy from me, same as motorcycle dudes that end up getting killed on the road. Same for joggers running down the side of the road.

Everyone on a bike bitches about almost getting ran over almost getting swiped etc. and then just continues the same insanity and expects the entire rest of the world to change their behavior to make them happy.

You want to ride for exercise and health that's fine, go find a park, trail, literally anywhere and go do laps to get your miles in. Sure it may suck but your safe and we are safe from hitting you. Hell you should be nervous just driving down the road in your car/truck let alone on a bike, motorcycle or jogging. Lost count how many I have ran up behind in Colorado that were lucky I was paying attention. What if I hadn't been? Or the sun was just right? Is it worth it for any party involved for you to be out there on your bike? Is it worth that risk? I like to hike and get exercise as well to go chase critters in the mountains but for my safety I go walk boring laps around the local event center 12 times every couple of days. Is it boring kinda, but I do what I have to to stay safe.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                                Then stay off the Fing road.

Bikes that get ran over out here in my area get 0 sympathy from me, same as motorcycle dudes that end up getting killed on the road. Same for joggers running down the side of the road.

Everyone on a bike bitches about almost getting ran over almost getting swiped etc. and then just continues the same insanity and expects the entire rest of the world to change their behavior to make them happy.
                                This is exactly how I feel. I have no sympathy for bikers on FM roads. They are the ones doing the dangerous activity and taking the risk. They have no right to ***** when someone driving the speed limit almost runs them over because they chose to ride a road with a high speed limit, limited visibility and no shoulder to get out of the way.

Comment

Working...
                                X