Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone lost a lease by posting pictures of deer on the web

Serious question.
    Say you shoot a big deer. A lot bigger than has been shot on you lease in decades. Legal harvest. And you put it out on social media

Has anyone had their lease rate go up by the landowner? Or have you had problems with people finding out where you hunt, and then trying to lease land out from under you by going to the landowner and offering them way more money?

The group has changed over the years, but essentially it has been leased by the same "group" for 30+ years

Ahh dang, you're on to me! Lol. Im kidding of course.

I'm willing to bet there are a few cases out there to reference. It is always a really tough predicament in how the LO will react. If you guys have been there that long, I would be willing to bet the relationship established there would supersede a little extra money.

We worried about that with our last headache of a LO. When we took pictures for him, we made it look as little as possible to keep him from raising our rates.

Comment

No, but my cousin posted a big deer, and I had 4 outfitters call me and try to lease my ranch. I couldn’t figure out why, then learned he sent and posted a picture and didn’t scrub them. GPS plus OnX =landowner. Landowner + google equals phone number

Comment

Had a friend shoot a nice deer and get it posted in ttha magazine. Next year, lease price doubled, they got ran off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It happens for sure. More duck spots have been lost from stupid posting and bragging.

My lease implemented a rule this past year for this very reason. No posting of our deer on social media.

Comment

Happens more than you know. Latest I heard about from a friend of mine. Was land owner had a pasture that only his kids hunted . They grew, up moved away so landowner leases pasture out to my friend which made his lease bigger and helped since grandkids were coming of age to hunt. 3 yrs in grandson kills largest deer killed in last 30 yrs., suspected to have come from a nearby high fence, ...... next year sons of landowner decide they want to hunt again. Also had another friend of mine that stopped at gas station in Ozona when a pickup pulls up with 3 very nice bucks. Friend gets driver talking and finds location of ranch and ranch owners name. Tried his best to get the lease. Was unsuccessful but it happens.... keep it zipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
              No, but my cousin posted a big deer, and I had 4 outfitters call me and try to lease my ranch. I couldn’t figure out why, then learned he sent and posted a picture and didn’t scrub them. GPS plus OnX =landowner. Landowner + google equals phone number
              Wow.....big brother in full effect!!![emoji15] I had no idea.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
              Last edited by Landrover; 08-06-2019, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Had a text string about it last night. They want to enter a bunch of deer contests, but then don't want it out on Facebook. Which is confusing.....

I know the ranch manager knows what kinda deer are on the place now, and have heard that people have tried to offer the ranch owner more money in years past. I would expect the lease to go up. But I am not planning to put it in a magazine, and for that matter not really interested in the deer contest thing

Comment

No, but had an outfitter move some stands closer to our fence line after some of our bucks were posted to the Las Cazadores web site.

Comment

Loose lips sink ships!

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie PhD View Post
                      Had a text string about it last night. They want to enter a bunch of deer contests, but then don't want it out on Facebook. Which is confusing.....

I know the ranch manager knows what kinda deer are on the place now, and have heard that people have tried to offer the ranch owner more money in years past. I would expect the lease to go up. But I am not planning to put it in a magazine, and for that matter not really interested in the deer contest thing
                      If you have an exceptional deer blasted all over social media, and in every deer contest then you can for sure expect lease dues to go up. I wouldn't do it unless I owned the property.

Comment

Never tell what you see or shoot. Only good friends might be told. Post a pic, and you are asking for some one to try and get your spot.

Comment

Can't say that I have but had a neighbor put up a high fence between us.

Comment

I'm sure it happens. I haven't had it happen to me, but I know of a guy that posted a pick of a deer he killed. This was a monster. Game warden showed up a few days later and took it from him. The deer had been on a high fence property about a mile away. He had a mess on his hands trying to prove that the deer was killed on his property and not poached.

Comment

We had a semi-famous person kill a good deer a few years ago and post it everywhere, even with the location. We weren't happy about it and had a few guys leave notes on our gate asking if they could lease the place, can't remember what happened to those notes but I called the LO and let him know what was going, just to get out in front of anyone else. Luckily he just laughed and said we don't need to worry about him leasing to anyone else.

Comment

Working...
                              X