No announcement yet.

Favorite sushi of all time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been to Japan almost 30 times over the last 10 years, and I've eaten a lot of really good sashimi, nigiri and sushi. Tuna, and especially fatty tuna, is my favorite sashimi. One very memorable meal was actually one of the simplest. Shimano was hosting a fishing show at the convention center at my hotel in Yokohama, and there was a food court set up with various offerings. At one station was two chefs working on a giant bluefin tuna brought in straight from the market that morning. They were carving it up and selling bowls of maybe 6 oz of sashimi tuna for around $60, which is about half market price. I had to have two bowls.

I'm not much of a salmon fan, but last night I had some fresh salmon that was caught here locally (Kitimat, British Columbia) on Friday and cold smoked Saturday. I was really impressed. But still prefer raw tuna over raw salmon.

Comment

Nothing better than fresh Bluefin all by itself. And your body wants it. No guilt.

Comment

Sea urchin with quail egg must be a popular pairing as I had sake shooters done that way as well. Sea urchin sashimi and raw quail egg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Duane View Post
          I've been to Japan almost 30 times over the last 10 years, and I've eaten a lot of really good sashimi, nigiri and sushi. Tuna, and especially fatty tuna, is my favorite sashimi. One very memorable meal was actually one of the simplest. Shimano was hosting a fishing show at the convention center at my hotel in Yokohama, and there was a food court set up with various offerings. At one station was two chefs working on a giant bluefin tuna brought in straight from the market that morning. They were carving it up and selling bowls of maybe 6 oz of sashimi tuna for around $60, which is about half market price. I had to have two bowls.

I'm not much of a salmon fan, but last night I had some fresh salmon that was caught here locally (Kitimat, British Columbia) on Friday and cold smoked Saturday. I was really impressed. But still prefer raw tuna over raw salmon.
          Dang! Japan would be a cool place to go. I don't know what else I'd do the whole time I was there except eat. I could get into some seafood over there for sure. I don't know that I'm brave enough to try all the food that Japan has to offer but I'd try a bunch of it.

I'm with you on the tuna deal. I think I like it over raw salmon too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
            Sea urchin with quail egg must be a popular pairing as I had sake shooters done that way as well. Sea urchin sashimi and raw quail egg.

Oh man. I ain't never heard of that. I ain't sayin it ain't good but I'll be honest some things I'm a little hesitant to try. Just something about raw stuff that makes me think salmonella. Kinda get leary about things like that.

I ain't never tried sea urchin. Yesterday I almost tried fish roe sashimi but didn't end up doin it. Is it any good?

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
              Nothing better than fresh Bluefin all by itself. And your body wants it. No guilt.
              I like me some Bluefin. I sure do but it's pretty hard to come by up in these parts. I gotta travel to get a bite of it.

Speaking of getting a bite. I'm getting hungry again.

Comment

It’s all good.
                Yes it’s fishy, but I always seem to order mackerel nigiri

I know where I’m having lunch one day this week

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                  Oh man. I ain't never heard of that. I ain't sayin it ain't good but I'll be honest some things I'm a little hesitant to try. Just something about raw stuff that makes me think salmonella. Kinda get leary about things like that.

I ain't never tried sea urchin. Yesterday I almost tried fish roe sashimi but didn't end up doin it. Is it any good?

Its good but many people do not like the consistency. Usually you can order sashimi in small quantities. You have had raw tuna in your rolls I would assume by now. Just try something on the menu next time you order some rolls.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
                    Rainbow and Caterpillar are two of my favs

NAILED IT!

Comment

Im craving sushi now

Comment

My dinner this past Friday night. All good, but pepper tuna is hard to beat.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
                          Its good but many people do not like the consistency. Usually you can order sashimi in small quantities. You have had raw tuna in your rolls I would assume by now. Just try something on the menu next time you order some rolls.

I'm a big texture guy but I think next time I'm gonna try the fish roe sashimi. The smoked salmon sashimi I had was pretty good I thought. That's what my buddy got so I just followed his lead since that was his favorite I figured that'd be a good one to start with.

Comment

Originally posted by txheartshot View Post
                            My dinner this past Friday night. All good, but pepper tuna is hard to beat.

Dadgum that looks good! They have the wasabi set up pretty fancy on that plate. I'm a wasabi guy but I know most people that I know don't like it. I like a little heat and it's not the kind that sticks with you. I think it's pretty good stuff. I doctor my sushi up before I eat it but my buddies never do.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                              Dadgum that looks good! They have the wasabi set up pretty fancy on that plate. I'm a wasabi guy.
                              99% of wasabi served in restaurants is made from powder, and plated with a piping bag

You need to ask for fresh wasabi, it's a game changer.
                              the wasabi root is finely grated with a microplane

will look like this and bursting with flavor ... you'll never eat the dry paste again
                              Last edited by Cajun Blake; 07-31-2022, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                                99% of wasabi served in restaurants is made from powder, and plated with a piping bag

You need to ask for fresh wasabi, it's a game changer.
                                the wasabi root is finely grated with a microplane

will look like this and bursting with flavor ... you'll never eat the dry paste again
                                I had no idea. Learned something new. It looks kind of like salsa. I want to give it a try.

I've never liked super hot food but to me it's a different kind of hot. It's kind of interesting because you can feel the heat and take a bite of something and it's gone. With the fresh stuff I don't know if that's the case. Looks hotter just looking at it.

Comment

Working...
                                X