Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who on here had an AR/AK style gun before 2004?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
    No response? Hmmm…

Micheal
    I wasn't commenting on every statement but tried to catch most. But like I said to others, I'm not debating the 2A, I stand by it and will go down swinging with everyone on here IF that moment ever comes. I'm focused on the AR or similar rifles. I don't remember them being that big of a deal pre-2004. Maybe it was just my household. My dad owned ALOT of guns throughout my childhood. But we never had many semi auto guns whether it was pistol/rifle/shotgun. Semi auto just wasn't our thing. Still isn't for me really even tho I own some.
    Was there a big uprising of patriots when the AWB was started in 1994? I was just graduating high school and poor so it wasn't a big deal for me. I couldn't have bought one if I wanted to. But according to some on here yall would have been fighting in the streets if that same thing happened today. Maybe there was and I just missed it since we didn't have social media like we do now. We didn't have any "assault type weapons, to quote the Libs" but our house was safe and we could kill all we needed with a Remington 7400 or a 700. Also betting 70% of people on this site that own one now(myself included) bought them when they gained popularity after 2004.
    This isn't a life or liberty topic, just trying to have a conversation about something without getting too serious. Just asking if the AWB that was enacted in 1994 was still in place would we be any different today than we were pre 1994?

Comment

Like the OP, I am a fairly practical gun guy. I own a variety of handguns, shotguns & rifles. I also thought the AR was kinda cool and felt i would enjoy owning one to plink with but didn't feel I had a need for one to hunt or home protection. in 2013, shortly after the Sandy Hook shooting I bought one because I thought they may get banned again. I didn't know much about them at the time and still don't but was very surprised by its accuracy and have shot a few critters with it since.

To answer your question, nothing in my hunting & shooting past would not have been possible if I had not owned an AR15. But I continue to own it and plan to keep it not because of my past but because of what could happen in the future - a coaching buddy of mine always use to say never get beat in the equipment room, I doubt I will ever really find myself in a situation where an AR15 is truly needed but I don't know that for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        This is a fallacious argument. Most if not all shotguns at across the room distance haven’t had time to open up the pattern. Many of them have patterns ranging from golf ball size to baseball size at short distance.

Buckshot will penetrate several layers of sheet rock as will all pistol rounds. Many times the 5.56/.223 rounds tumble and fragment when encountering Sheetrock and have less chance of severe over penetration. Using a ballistic tip style bullet makes them break up even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        To be honest I have never tested this. Being a contractor I have plenty of sheetrock around. I'm gonna take a couple sheets to the ranch and test a 9mm,45, 223 and 00Buck at about 10-20 yrds and see what we get. I'm betting your correct on penetration tho. I would think that 00B on a short barrel would spread more than a golf ball at 10yrds.
        I'll check these out and report back.
        Good food for thought there. I think as far as accuracy goes tho I'd still rather be shooting a baseball size pattern than a .22 size bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntsman27 View Post
          Like the OP, I am a fairly practical gun guy. I own a variety of handguns, shotguns & rifles. I also thought the AR was kinda cool and felt i would enjoy owning one to plink with but didn't feel I had a need for one to hunt or home protection. in 2013, shortly after the Sandy Hook shooting I bought one because I thought they may get banned again. I didn't know much about them at the time and still don't but was very surprised by its accuracy and have shot a few critters with it since.

To answer your question, nothing in my hunting & shooting past would not have been possible if I had not owned an AR15. But I continue to own it and plan to keep it not because of my past but because of what could happen in the future - a coaching buddy of mine always use to say never get beat in the equipment room, I doubt I will ever really find myself in a situation where an AR15 is truly needed but I don't know that for sure.
          You don't need insurance until you don't have it

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
            I wasn't commenting on every statement but tried to catch most. But like I said to others, I'm not debating the 2A, I stand by it and will go down swinging with everyone on here IF that moment ever comes. I'm focused on the AR or similar rifles. I don't remember them being that big of a deal pre-2004. Maybe it was just my household. My dad owned ALOT of guns throughout my childhood. But we never had many semi auto guns whether it was pistol/rifle/shotgun. Semi auto just wasn't our thing. Still isn't for me really even tho I own some.
            Was there a big uprising of patriots when the AWB was started in 1994? I was just graduating high school and poor so it wasn't a big deal for me. I couldn't have bought one if I wanted to. But according to some on here yall would have been fighting in the streets if that same thing happened today. Maybe there was and I just missed it since we didn't have social media like we do now. We didn't have any "assault type weapons, to quote the Libs" but our house was safe and we could kill all we needed with a Remington 7400 or a 700. Also betting 70% of people on this site that own one now(myself included) bought them when they gained popularity after 2004.
            This isn't a life or liberty topic, just trying to have a conversation about something without getting too serious. Just asking if the AWB that was enacted in 1994 was still in place would we be any different today than we were pre 1994?
            Any different, as far as the level of reported mass shootings or what We would actually own? Evil has always existed and is being fueled with every passing day. As far as would ownership be different today, who knows.

Growing up we did not have an AR because we were too broke to own anything “that new”. Around ‘92 I got one and a Norinco SKS. As I recall I picked both up and close to 1k rounds for around $500. 94 didn’t phase me because enough friends and family own(ed) anything we would ever want or need.

Micheal

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
              Any different, as far as the level of reported mass shootings or what We would actually own? Evil has always existed and is being fueled with every passing day. As far as would ownership be different today, who knows.

Growing up we did not have an AR because we were too broke to own anything “that new”. Around ‘92 I got one and a Norinco SKS. As I recall I picked both up and close to 1k rounds for around $500. 94 didn’t phase me because enough friends and family own(ed) anything we would ever want or need.

Micheal
              It didn’t bother you then because someone else already had an “assault weapon” but the government told you that you couldn’t buy specific weapons. Nowadays we would all go bizurk if that same bill was to pass again. Patriots would be screaming mutiny, but I don’t remember it being that big of a deal back then and guessing you didn’t either. Maybe it was just my age at the time.

When I say “would WE be any different”, not talking about society as a whole because like you said mass killings have been happening for centuries. I think the media and libs are pointing fingers at todays guns when they shouldn’t be. I’m saying me and you, would WE be any different today if we still couldn’t buy an AR 15 because the AWB that was started in 1994 was still in place? In your example we would still be shooting our buddies AR they bought in the down low or those cheap SKS or mini 14 and be completely happy with our 10round mag. Because we wouldn’t have been hit by the AR craze.

Comment

It didn’t bother you then because someone else already had an “assault weapon” but the government told you that you couldn’t buy specific weapons. Nowadays we would all go bizurk if that same bill was to pass again. Patriots would be screaming mutiny, but I don’t remember it being that big of a deal back then and guessing you didn’t either. Maybe it was just my age at the time.

When I say “would WE be any different”, not talking about society as a whole because like you said mass killings have been happening for centuries. I think the media and libs are pointing fingers at todays guns when they shouldn’t be. I’m saying me and you, would WE be any different today if we still couldn’t buy an AR 15 because the AWB that was started in 1994 was still in place? In your example we would still be shooting our buddies AR they bought in the down low or those cheap SKS or mini 14 and be completely happy with our 10round mag. Because we wouldn’t have been hit by the AR craze.
                I was too young to know a difference in 1994. But I bet I'd be thinking how cool it'd be to own one if I couldn't but just like anything else I've never owned I wouldn't know for sure what I was missing. I'd be wondering what I was missing out on. Is my life better for owning a 30 round magazine and an AR-15? Unloading on hogs as they run for the hills makes me happy so I think so. Pulling the trigger 10 times and shooting half as many wouldn't make me near as effective therefore I wouldn't have as much fun. Some of the best times I've had with friends was behind an AR-15 so if they were banned now I'd for sure know life could be better.

I've never left Texas after shootin hogs and varmints and thought "Man I wish I wouldn't have shot so many bullets. We just killed way too many hogs." That's like having too much money or seeing too many boobies. That's not even a real thing in life.
                Last edited by okrattler; 07-06-2022, 05:45 PM.

Comment

“Was there a big uprising of patriots when the AWB was started in 1994?”
                  “Nowadays we would all go bizurk if that same bill was to pass again. Patriots would be screaming mutiny, but I don’t remember it being that big of a deal back then and guessing you didn’t either. Maybe it was just my age at the time.”

Actually there was a lot people pitching a fit but it didn’t get much airtime but among the gun community there was a lot of hatred for the government. The reason it wasn’t a bigger deal is because it was a ban on new firearms not those already in possession. There’s a big difference between stopping new sales and outright confiscation. There were a lot of lawsuits at the time but I don’t believe they really got anywhere. I believe the reason it was not renewed was that the data showed that it made little impact. But when it was lifted, Katy bar the door, sales took off. “You don’t know what you miss till it’s gone.”

Comment

This may interest you

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TemPi-X9MV4&ab_channel=ColionNoir"]Top 5 Reasons You NEED An AR-15 - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                      The “fact” that most people’s lives wouldn’t change that much, has absolutely nothing to do with anything. Need has absolutely nothing to do with rights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      This right here. Cannot be more clear.
                      Besides...After I double tap...its a nice feeling knowing I have 28 more rounds if need be. I have owned ARs and AKs since the 80's

Comment

I’ll preface this by saying your post 100% coke across as “nobody NEEDS an AR. Justify why y’all love them”.

I see your comment that you aren’t arguing the 2A. I’ll answer your why comment in a second but I believe in the 2nd amendment and I should be able to walk into my local gun store and buy a full auto anything. Belt fed machine guns. Whatever. With zero caliber restriction. And as many suppressors as I want and walk out with them that day.

As for my personal use for high capacity rifles? I hunt with them. A lot. Yes not having one and a 30 round mag would hinder this. Big group of hogs, a few dudes with ARs in various calibers with mags loaded to the gills. A serious amount of hogs get hit and killed. Any other weapon platform would reduce numbers by 50%+.

I run suppressed SBRs. 10.5” or shorter. They are far more handy. Quieter. And I can smoke a bunch of critters fast. Way more compact and easy to maneuver.

I wasn’t old enough to buy any before or during the AWB but I can’t imagine that I wouldn’t have got them then either.

Amongst other weapon platforms, I do have a short AR for home defense loaded up and ready to roll if needed. As well as pistols and shotguns. Do I NEED 30+ rounds for that? Hope not. And I hope I never have to fire even one shot. But I know how many I CAN shoot.

The problem isn’t guns. You know this. We all know this. It’s the people. You’d be shocked at what’s in civilian hands legally. Mini guns mounted to trucks, m2 machine guns mounted on jeeps and hummers. Loads of machine guns of all kinds. True military hardware. All in civilian hands. As it should be. Heck I know folks that own tanks with the main guns that work and they do shoot them. It’s not for anyone to decide who should own what legally. ANY weapon platform.

You’d be surprised how many uses an AR has once you really know how to use them.

Stop asking about what guns people should own. And ask why lunatics are not held responsible BEFORE they do stupid crap. Latest shooter had a ton of warning signs. Same as most all before him. Family, friends, and law enforcement failed to shut that down. And those red flag laws can be easily manipulated to rob lots of law abiding citizens of their weapons when it gets abused by people who “don’t know why you need those things”.

Comment

I've owned 3 ARs. First was bought on a whim back in the late 70's. Was offered to me @ a price I couldn't refuse. It was stolen outta my house soon after. Second was a few years later, just because I missed shooting them. Fun little guns. Shot a few deer with it. It was also stolen. About 5 yrs ago my son gave me a stripped lower and upper and internals package for Christmas/birthday. Built it into 6.5 Grendel with the intent to deer hunt with it. Has had 100 rds. through it to break it in and tune it up. Haven't shot it since. Have since got a .223 upper for it also.
                          I did get a Mini-14 back in the late 80's cause I was tired of the AR's gettin stolen. It is dressed up in an Archangel stock set and looks "scary". I still shoot it! "assault rifles are Probably not the best for home defense and I have other weapons better suited if needed. But the AW's are there if necessary.

Comment

What exactly is a "AR/AK style rifle" ? Like a Ruger 10/22 that has a plastic stock and a 30 round magazine? A Marlin Model 60 with a black painted stock? A Remington 870 with a magazine extension? A Glock with enhanced sights and a shoulder stock?

I have never been able to understand the generic name "Assault Weapon", seem like a broad definition of any type of firearm to me.

Comment

To be honest I have never tested this. Being a contractor I have plenty of sheetrock around. I'm gonna take a couple sheets to the ranch and test a 9mm,45, 223 and 00Buck at about 10-20 yrds and see what we get. I'm betting your correct on penetration tho. I would think that 00B on a short barrel would spread more than a golf ball at 10yrds.
                              I'll check these out and report back.
                              Good food for thought there. I think as far as accuracy goes tho I'd still rather be shooting a baseball size pattern than a .22 size bullet.
                              There are numerous YouTube videos on this. One guy has done numerous tests even going so far as to build interior and exterior walls to test. His name is Paul Harrell. A little goofy, but he does test a lot of variables. I watched them years ago, but if I remember correctly, he found #4 buck to have the highest damage to the target with minimal penetration through walls.

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
                                Not a fan of anything multi shot...Bow/Crossbow/TC Encore/410 snake charmer..is all I use..I do own a pump 12ga/Marlin3030/357 Highway patrolman..they were my DADS..My take on it is if I cant Kill it with 1 shot ...I need more PRACTICE....If we at WAR thats a diff thing and I will reconsider
                                Here’s part of the issue. YOU might not want it. Some do. We either all succeed together. Or fail together. Easier to defeat a divided army. The folks that don’t want us to have guns don’t want us to have ANY. Not just ARs. And some of us shoot lots more than 1 shot at critters at a time and has nothing to do with proficiency.

Comment

Working...
                                X