Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who on here had an AR/AK style gun before 2004?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

**** this guy.

Liberal asshat.

Yep. I said it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I purchased one under the awb....it was a joke. The rifle had to have a fixed stock and no bayonet lug and no flash suppressor. Sold with a ten round mag but you could get steel ar-15 mags at any gunshow for 10 bucks. My first one was around $850. My AR is my home/ranch defense gun. Two legged or four it handles the business.

Comment

To be honest, I didn’t own one before then.
        I was an infantryman in the army and after carrying the M-16 during that time, I just didn’t have a desire to carry an AR rifle as a civilian. I knew them, understood them and was good with them. I had no curiosity about them. I had my fun with them. A fine bolt a rifle appealed to me back then and still does. But…when some yerk off politicians started running their heads about “Nobody hunts with these weapons of war,” BS. Well that just made me want to start hunting with one. Other than my bow it’s been my go to hunting weapon. I still get out my cap lock or bolt action Remington made Springfield Mauser, 03/A3 (weapon of war) just to do something different once in a while but more often than not I go for the AR.
        Well, I fell in love with my AR. Fun to shoot, accurate, light to carry and dang sure got the job done. Really made me question, what took so long? Since then I’ve discovered the joy of tinkering with them and building various platforms to suit the shooter. I actually only use a 30 round magazine to carry extra rounds in the field in case I encounter a large sounder. 30 and 20 rounders just get in my way so I’m usually just loaded up with a ten round magazine.
        I’m just thankful to have the freedom afforded me, by the constitution, to “keep and bear” whatever suits me for whatever reason I so choose, as long as that may last.

Comment

I bought one when Obama was " in charge". Tricked it out like crazy, never ever shot it, sold it a couple years ago. I just never felt the need, home protection is shot gun and a pistol. Not sure what needs to be done, but something has to, in a bad way.

Comment

I didn't know what an AR was till I had to qualify with one at age 21(1978) at TDC. strange gun as the stock shook & not kicked. Itis an easily modifiable weapon as well easily adjustable with many attachements.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
              I don't think anyone here is arguing the constitutional right at all, my conversation is merely based on practical use not legal use.

Lets discuss practicality for majority of American gun owners not constitutional 2A rights.
              Practicality has absolutely nothing to do with “Shall NOT be infringed”. With that said, I personally prefer the Mini14 over the AR for all practical purposes. I will also add that I prefer politicians to be honest and to uphold their oath to The Constitution of these United States of America and because of that, the Armolite Rifle and many like it have become more essential today for every red blooded citizen than at any other point in Our Nations history, period.

Micheal

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                **** this guy.

Liberal asshat.

Yep. I said it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                I think everyone here knows who the asshat is around here. I guess small minds can’t think outside the box. I don’t think anyone has ever listed me as liberal in any form.

Comment

Thanks for the input fellas, from some anyway, have a good evening. Tomorrow we will discuss those really fast cars or something else as enlightening.

Comment

How many TBHers really know what gun/s are best for home protection? What percent of us have actually shot at someone breaking in to our house?

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                      How many TBHers really know what gun/s are best for home protection? What percent of us have actually shot at someone breaking in to our house?
                      I don’t know what’s best but I know what I’ve got at hand.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                        I know what is best for me.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                          Thanks for the input fellas, from some anyway, have a good evening. Tomorrow we will discuss those really fast cars or something else as enlightening.
                          I don’t get to comment???

More for fun and not a serious debate but…..

I carried an auto Galil (some would call full auto) in its standard 5.56 starting in 1992 so I saw no need for an AR platform. Some time around 2004 (probably shortly afterwards but I can’t remember) I got an AR. I was exempt from the ban so time frame was not critical.

The soft tip rounds that I carry will not stop in drywall, auto windshield glass, car doors, 3/4” plywood, etc. Maybe some different rounds have weak penetration but if somebody believe that as a universal statement, I believe they are mistaken.

A shotgun is certainly a great self-defense weapon up close, assuming there aren’t many adversaries, particularly if they know what they are doing. A lone crackhead? Sure. In truth the odds of using a firearm in defense of a home is extremely rare. The likelihood of having multiple and knowledgeable attackers is probably similar to the odds of winning a lottery. But if you believe in “what if”……

I am never sure why a question is ever asked about any item such as “do you need” or “why”?

I have friends that love to bass fish. Some of them have bass boats that cost $75,000 or more. If you count the cost, tax title and license, interest on the loan since they usually cannot pay cash, insurance, storage, gasoline for the boat and then for the truck to drag them at least 1 1/2 the 2 hours to the east Texas bass lakes, it probably costs $120,000 over 10 years. That is $1000 a month whether they fish or not. if they can fish twice a month without fail for a decade, it’s going to cost them about $500 for a weekend trip. That’s just for the boat and not counting if they have to rent a hotel room or if they buy a small lake house to stay in. THEN!!!…… most of them catch release and don’t even keep fish.

The only point is, I don’t ask them, why are you doing that or do you really need to do that? Certainly they don’t need to fish. It is a time killing recreational activity. If they were set on fishing there are water side locations or if they just had to have a boat, could spend $10,000 on a nice jon boat and catch just as many fish. Why should it matter to me what they have fun to spend their money on?

In truth, most of the things we have in life we don’t need. I guess all you really need for a comfortable life is a roof over your head and food in your stomach.

Why do we go there Bownanza?

Why ask why?

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                            I don’t know what’s best but I know what I’ve got at hand.
                            A .380 pocket pistol is better than pointing your finger and going bang.

Comment

An AR-15 set up for night huntin with a 30 round magazine in it is the best hog huntin rifle you can own. I can only shoot 5 rounds at best in a bolt gun. I've personally killed almost an entire group of hogs by myself with an AR. Less felt recoil means you can stay in the scope and keep shooting until they're all dead or have run off.

Great prairie dog rifle too I might add. Probably just about any varmint where a quick follow up shot is needed or where less loading and more shooting is preferable.

Pistols suck for defending yourself. Most people shot with a pistol live. I'd much rather have a shotgun or semi automatic rifle if I knew for a fact I had to defend my life or the lives of people around me. I'd want whatever is going to be the easiest to shoot under stress and put the threat down with as few shots as possible. This one I can't speak from experience on but I know I can shoot a rifle or a shotgun way more accurately when I'm not stressed out or getting shot at. So I'd imagine it'd be the same way if I were.

As for being over powered in a house or whatever, you don't just throw random bullets into a rifle and shoot deer so I would hope most people pick a bullet that will dump its energy into the target or anything that's not a target before passing through. For example DRT makes a bullet for all kinds of guns that fragment and essentially turn into fine metal powder so that you're not killing everything in your neighborhood with pass throughs or stray bullets. Bullets that fragment and such. Choose the wrong bullet for a pistol and it'll do the same thing as not choosing the right one for a home defense rifle. A ball round will go through both sides of a car so sheetrock won't stop one for sure.
                              Last edited by okrattler; 07-06-2022, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                                I bought one when Obama was " in charge". Tricked it out like crazy, never ever shot it, sold it a couple years ago. I just never felt the need, home protection is shot gun and a pistol. Not sure what needs to be done, but something has to, in a bad way.
                                I would like to hear more about what you’re thinking.

Something has to be done in a bad way? Do you mean, the federal government needs to limit the ability of the civilian to own an Ar/AK platform rifle?

Comment

Working...
                                X